Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: Gorillaz - Song Machine

Post by tom_cas1 » 03 Apr 2020, 04:57

I hate these kinds of album releases. One song at a time, one per month. Boring. Hate it. Just give us the whole thing at once so we can enjoy it.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 Apr 2020, 12:04

tom_cas1 wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 04:57
I hate these kinds of album releases. One song at a time, one per month. Boring. Hate it. Just give us the whole thing at once so we can enjoy it.
I'm still a fan of the old school method of 1-2 singles prior to the album release.

Anyway, haven't really been up to date with this whole Song Machine thingy. So, is it going to be one song per month till the end and then album? I listened to the first two songs, didn't really impress me.

stephen

Post by stephen » 03 Apr 2020, 14:20

That surprises me that you weren't that impressed, each to their own i guess.

I get the impression that they'll keep releasing and then it'll probably be a collection of sorts. What I like about this loose formatting is that we'll probably get collaborations and newer version of the songs as they evolve.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 03 Apr 2020, 15:52

What impresses me is the quality of both songs, how he has nailed it with the collabarations on both and the variety in style. The upcoming song from its snippet sounds very different once again. Its great to hear Damon sharing vocal duties on what we have heard up to now, but I think everytime we hear a snippet of the next song it is exciting to find out who his next collaborator is.

Assuming he is has enough material already and the video's are finished enough to allow for editing, I think Gorillaz will leave their mark more so this year than Humanz or The Now Now did as actual albums.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 Apr 2020, 20:11

stephen wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 14:20
That surprises me that you weren't that impressed, each to their own i guess.
I do have to admit that I need to listen more to them. I can see Désolé growing on me.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 04 Apr 2020, 10:12

Rubi wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 20:11

I do have to admit that I need to listen more to them. I can see Désolé growing on me.
Got to say I really like Désolé reminds me a lot of his Mali Music album and would certainly be one of the better songs on there - I really like that aspect of Damon's work, although I don't know nearly enough about African music to claim that's an educated opinion.

Already forgotten what the first track was, although I quite liked it when I heard it. I think now that I mostly listen to music when I'm out running, or at home I listen to albums cover to cover, means that a lot of one-off releases pass me by, although I do remember Doncamatic and the Converse one quite distinctly, but they must both be pretty old now. I found TNN very forgettable - it wasn't *bad* just didn't do nearly enough to get my attention - enjoyed Humanz though.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 04 Apr 2020, 19:13

I think The Now Now got a lot of uncalled shtick. It was obviously something in the line of The Fall. That being said, I think it could have been better produced. For instance, Tranz is a fantastic song that suffers a lot from very minimalistic production. Take the live version, it has so much energy, an entirely different animal.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 06 Apr 2020, 19:02

Rubi wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 19:13
I think The Now Now got a lot of uncalled shtick. It was obviously something in the line of The Fall. That being said, I think it could have been better produced. For instance, Tranz is a fantastic song that suffers a lot from very minimalistic production. Take the live version, it has so much energy, an entirely different animal.
Personally I think The Now Now only exists because Humanz didn't sell very well and the number 1 complaint was that there wasn't enough Damon.

I agree with the idea it actually belongs in a family stretching back to Democrazy, and includes The Fall, its essentially a compilation of ideas for songs that would be fantastic should Damon one day finish them, but IMHO he felt under pressure to complete them and get them out there ASAP. If it's to be considered a finished album, rather than WIP, which is certainly how it was presented, then it's mostly filler.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 06 Apr 2020, 20:46

PANTS

JackS

Post by JackS » 08 Apr 2020, 11:48

The new song Aries leaked... (obviously not sharing a link but it's not too difficult to find in the usual places)

Spoiler alert - it is really really good and I can't think of many Gorillaz songs to compare it to. Maybe a cross between Pyongyang and Tranz. It's VERY New Order. Love it

Really surprised by the quality of the Song Machine output

rich

Post by rich » 08 Apr 2020, 12:38

deleted post..
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Apr 2020, 11:42

From the very short trailer of Aries hasn't grabbed my attention as much as the other two songs, and a bit dissapointed it doesn't have any vocal contribution from Georgia, not sure how she features on the song. But I could say the same about other work of Damon's that has been previewed by short teasers, shuch as Merrie Land prior to release did the same, but still think the album is his best work in recent years. I am maybe more excited to see the taster of episode 4 at the end of the video today. :)

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Apr 2020, 15:39

After a couple of listens, I'd say it is a good song, but my least favourite out of the 3 released tracks, musically I like it but just think Damon's vocals don't really go anywhere, but part of me thinks it could be a grower like much of Damon's work. Its hard to judge when the songs are being released a month or so apart, If I was listening to the Song Machine album as a whole and I listened to Momentary Bliss, then Desole and then moved on to Aries, I would be very impressed by the content and change in direction of the songs :)

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 09 Apr 2020, 15:58

Hmm, it's an alright track. Definitely a grower, but nothing to write home about.

You know, I was thinking, in the last 10 years Damon hasn't really written one single hit song, has he? I don't know if that kind of thing is completely past him at this point, whether he's not interested or just unable to. Cos in the first 20 years of his music career, be it Blur or Gorillaz, the guy was pulling crazy catchy hits out of a hat.

bugman

Post by bugman » 09 Apr 2020, 17:07

very good track.