Gorillaz - Song Machine

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

stephen

Re: New track from Gorillaz to premiere on BBC Radio 1 this Thursday

Post by stephen » 29 Jan 2020, 09:48

Doesn't seem like a credible source, but who knows

JackS

Post by JackS » 29 Jan 2020, 17:54

Confirmed on Gorillaz YouTube... Gorillaz - Momentary Bliss ft. Slowthai and Slaves premieres tomorrow at 7:30pm

It is described as “Episode 1”. I suspect Song Machine is an “album” which will just see songs get released / added as and when they are ready. I remember an interview with Damon on Beats1 around the time of Garage Palace where he suggested he’d like to do something where he just pushes music out fairly constantly as he makes it. That’s probably what this will be

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 29 Jan 2020, 20:07

I love the snippet Gorillaz posted today. Slaves rock so hard. And I think the idea of releasing it over the course of the year is really interesting. Maybe genius!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 29 Jan 2020, 20:22

It look so good already, I love the snippet they shared today, too! Both audio and video.

Here's the press release with some details:

Gorillaz are coming to a screen near you with Song Machine, the cartoon music contraption from 2D, Murdoc, Noodle and Russel, which spits out brand new episodes fresh from the studio, as and when they happen. Catch Episode 1 ‘Momentary Bliss ft slowthai and Slaves’ tomorrow Thursday 30 January at 7.30pm GMT. http://gorill.az/s1ep1premiere

Season 1 of Song Machine will see Gorillaz joined by an exciting and ever-evolving roster of as yet unannounced collaborators captured live in Kong Studios alongside the world’s most successful virtual band. The cameras are rolling 24/7, the fourth wall is broken, the kettle is on, the chaos is real, the door is open… What’s coming next? Stay tuned.
⠀⠀
The band’s frontman 2D said, “Hello everyone who is reading these words. I’ll keep this short because once you say things you can’t unsay them and they exist in the universe forever, like Tupperware.”
⠀⠀
Gorillaz drummer Russel added, “Song Machine is a whole new way of doing what we do. Gorillaz breaking the mold ‘cos the mold got old. World is moving faster than a supercharged particle, so we’ve gotta stay ready to drop. We don’t even know who’s stepping through the studio next. Song Machine feeds on the unknown, runs on pure chaos. So whatever the hell’s coming, we’re primed and ready to produce like there’s no tomorrow. Y’know, just in case…”
⠀⠀
Song Machine is the newest concept from one of the most inventive bands around, with Gorillaz disrupting the paradigm all over again. In direct opposition to the usual traditional recording/single/album release cycle, the band again breaks convention in their own round the back door fashion with the spontaneous delivery of episodes throughout the year. The first song straight out of Kong is ‘Momentary Bliss’, which sees Gorillaz team up with slowthai and Slaves for a glorious start to 2020.
⠀⠀
Each episode of Song Machine will be accompanied by Machine Bitez – bitesized conversations between cartoon band members and real life collaborators.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 30 Jan 2020, 09:47

I really liked the Slaves last album, this is a potentially great collaboration, just hope that this features Damon on vocals too as the snippet kind of sounds like song off a Slaves album, rather than Gorillaz. Certainly good to see a rock out song from Gorillaz.

rich

Post by rich » 30 Jan 2020, 20:25

Momentary Bliss :) :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTt7301 ... d=83342746

the horse making toast :lol:
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

jonathas

Post by jonathas » 30 Jan 2020, 20:38

Ah, I enjoyed that. Not heard of Slaves previously but that was a nice track - strong shades of Fun Boy Three, which is how it should be. Jolly good!

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 30 Jan 2020, 20:46

jonathas wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 20:38
Ah, I enjoyed that. Not heard of Slaves previously but that was a nice track - strong shades of Fun Boy Three, which is how it should be. Jolly good!
by the way, by the way - here´s Slaves music video from 2018 featuring Dave Rowntree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iToofQg ... VdQrrA4zuE

rich

Post by rich » 30 Jan 2020, 21:35

nice too to see cartoon figures and musicians properly integrated...
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

daii

Post by daii » 30 Jan 2020, 21:37

I liked it

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 30 Jan 2020, 23:57

I really like it, very different but up beat and full of energy. I can’t believe I am hearing the Slaves on a Gorillaz song, Damon has done well on the collaborating front with this. It amazes me how he can jump from Blur to the last 2 very different sounding Gorillaz albums then onto TGTBATQ and be knocking out stuff like this when he is readying a solo album based on Iceland.

Afai Red

Post by Afai Red » 31 Jan 2020, 06:55

It's OK, much better than the last few years output. Early 80s sound to me

stephen

Post by stephen » 31 Jan 2020, 09:02

It sounds like Gun to the head and The truce of twilight had a pop love child

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 31 Jan 2020, 15:51

It's pretty good.. Better than everything on The Now Now. For me personally, I feel the latest phase of Gorillaz has been a bit reckless output wise. Bit of a lack of quality control as a lot of the material lacks depth and purpose if you ask me. I absolutely love the first 3 Gorillaz albums(I see Demon Days as possibly being Damon's best work), I'm not merely projecting my frustration at lack of Blur activity in the direction of Gorillaz, I have just found all the new stuff pretty boring. Too many collabs. It's just crowded and messy. Could have just taken their time a bit and condensed it all down into 1 really good album.

Also, when watching the tour/studio documentary film, I couldn't help but feel that they are clutching at straws trying to maintain Jamie's input still has any degree of real significance in 2020.

I actually think Gorillaz should have just been left after Plastic Beach. Given the multimedia nature of the project and how much the animation was initially a huge part of why it was so successful, it was perfectly unique for the new millennium, but now I feel it's all a bit old hat. It could have had a brilliant legacy.

stephen

Post by stephen » 31 Jan 2020, 17:07

You say it's old hat but then talk about making into an album, I think the format of releasing songs as and when they are made is a much better way of doing things. If they had this approach from Humanz it would have felt like being inundated with new Gorillaz material. Hope it works out for them.