new Gorillaz film - Reject False Icons

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

rich

Re: new Gorillaz film - Reject False Icons

Post by rich » 16 Dec 2019, 18:42

the original...

Banksy's Santa's Ghetto xmas shop - Charing Cross Road, 2004

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 16 Dec 2019, 21:06

I enjoyed it, but as per many of the reviews it doesn't really say or do anything much as a film in it's own rights. My enjoyment came more from reminiscing about going to a handful of their gigs and feeling the genuine love from the audience.

Would really struggle to recommend it to anyone who isn't a big Gorillaz fan tbh. My cinema had only sold about 40 tickets for the 6pm showing (they had a later one too).

As Caitlin said, many on here will love it mind, but if you miss out on the big screen experience I wouldn't worry it will get some sort of major release and it's far from essential.

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 17 Dec 2019, 04:40

Just back from seeing it. Both my wife and I agreed that it could have been so much better and it was probably too ambitious/sprawling. As such, it didn't really have a cohesive story. It was just a linear journal of recording, touring, recording, and touring without any real insights, etc.

They had plenty of great footage, the behind the scenes stuff was cool, the shows live were awesome, but it just wasn't organized/edited to the best effect. Also, over 100 musicians were flashed on screen, but really didn't get their input on the experience of contributing to or performing with Gorillaz. Don't get me wrong, I love anything Damon does, so almost 2 hours of Damon and Gorillaz was great. But I think this was opportunity missed a little bit.

If this were put out on DVD/Blu-ray, I could see it being four discs - 1) the making of Humanz music, art, and videos with more insight/reflection, 2) Humanz concert film or the best of Humanz live, 3) the making of the Now Now, 4) The Now Now concert film.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 18 Dec 2019, 19:55

Someone on Instagram said they brought a six year old to see it. For those whom have seen it, is it really appropriate for a six year old? I can image loads of “F” bombs being thrown around. Just curious.

Is it like Bananaz? I actually enjoyed that film. I’ll get it whenever it’s released on DVD/Blu-ray. I wasn’t able to see it on Monday.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 18 Dec 2019, 20:56

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 19:55
Is it like Bananaz? I actually enjoyed that film. I’ll get it whenever it’s released on DVD/Blu-ray. I wasn’t able to see it on Monday.
According to Denholm Hewlett the directors cut will be uploaded to youtube before the end of this year.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 18 Dec 2019, 21:30

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 19:55
Someone on Instagram said they brought a six year old to see it. For those whom have seen it, is it really appropriate for a six year old? I can image loads of “F” bombs being thrown around. Just curious.

It got a 15 years and over rating here. I don't remember too many swear words, but quite possible - there was a lot of smoking, which stood out to me only because of how much there was.

I wouldn't say it was like Bananaz, this was more like extended behind the scenes footage, very very little in the way of explanation of anything. Bes thing I can compare it to is the Gorillaz snapchat stories

blurop4

Post by blurop4 » 19 Dec 2019, 05:16

Not a parent here, but would guess it is not 6 year old appropriate.

Will be interesting to see the director's cut to compare it. I think it is different than Bananaz. Bananaz had more explanation than Icons. Icons definitely had better concert footage though, some awesome performances in that.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 20 Dec 2019, 01:35

blurop4 wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 05:16
Not a parent here, but would guess it is not 6 year old appropriate.
I’m not a parent either and even though I haven’t seen the film, I can’t image it being appropriate for a 6 year old. But to each their own

I’m glad that it might be on YouTube by the end of the year because after reading everyone’s comments and reviews I’m interested in seeing it.

rich

Post by rich » 20 Dec 2019, 02:16

Sorry to say that I was pretty underwhelmed when I saw it on Monday night. The attendance was good - the screen room was about 75% full, but - no audience reaction at the end. And it was a bit of a mess, jumping around all over the place. Would have been much better if, say, songs were followed through - lyrical/musical inspiration, writing, demoing, graphical interpretation, rehearsing, recording, mixing, performance and so on. We got some of this with Damon and Mavis Staples running through early work on Let Me Out, but everything else was very fractured.

I guess I was looking for more of a linear narrative (and credit to Denholm for resisting the BBC4 approach I suppose) but what we got reminded me of when you were young being allowed to sit in with the adults and join in the conversation but not really understanding what was going on. Harsh I know, but there you are. And I am an old git!

Not quite sure what the 'director's cut' is going to be about. In the context of this film (Damon/Jamie/eleven mangt) it's not as if the studio has compelled the director to go commercial against his wishes is it?

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 20 Dec 2019, 04:57

Yeah I don't get the whole "director's cut" thing either. It will probably have an extra scene that wasn't shown in the theaters, maybe cut for timing reasons? Who knows, maybe it's just a way to get people who went to see it in the theaters watch it again on YouTube.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 20 Dec 2019, 07:19

Same mess, just longer? It's more than two and a half hours long.

munch

Post by munch » 20 Dec 2019, 14:00

haha i won't be watching again. i want a well done documentary led by interesting footage, interviews and 50% art/animation/film making and 50% music and collaboration

although i've been relatively negative about this 'film' i must say the recording of Damon singing Cloud of Unknowing was incredible
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

windymiller

Post by windymiller » 24 Dec 2019, 15:38

Whole film drops on youtube at 5pm today, Xmas Eve.
Nice xmas present, like when we got The Fall 9 years ago.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 27 Dec 2019, 09:48

Watched part 1 & 2 last night, I like the content of the documentary, great to see Damon getting the best out of the artists he has worked with and it looks a great laugh to be working and touring with him. Will give part 3 a whirl tonight, looking forward to the focus on The Now Now :D

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 28 Dec 2019, 11:17

... Sounds as though it serves as a cool insight for fans of Gorillaz/Damon, but isn't exactly a captivating music documentary beyond that. I'm looking forward to seeing it!