The Great Escape

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TracyJosh

Re: The Great Escape

Post by TracyJosh » 16 Dec 2019, 11:10

The Folding wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 08:43
dparrott wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 02:38
TracyJosh wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 15:35
.... M.O.R, The shit Blur singles collection:

M.O.R
Stereotypes
Bang
Crazy Beat
Ong Ong
Lonesome Street
Chemical World

:P
Woah woah woah hold up. Most of those I agree with, but Chemical World???

Ikr lol

But as Graham said about CW, you know you're in trouble when Beavis and Butthead attack your video (sic)

For anyone who has learned to play CW on guitar, it's so much fun too and is a great example of how Graham pushes chord scales to make the blur sound. I think I use mild chorus or phaser for the string picky parts, can't remember but you guitarists here will remind me.
The chorus sound is actually from a Boss BF-2 Flanger. He used a lot of flanger and tremolo(Oily Water intro) on MLIR and Parklife then from TGE onwards he used the Boss VB 2 Vibrato pedal more. The VB 2 is a drier, more wonky, seasick sound. In case you were interested! I know it can be difficult to identify specifically what kind of modulation pedal Graham is using, they are all similar. I wrongly assumed he used a Chorus pedal during S/T era, but he didn't, he just got a stereo effect from using 2 Marshall amps. I don't think he ever used a Chorus pedal at all in the 90s.

Back to Chemical World, I feel this song would have really benefited from NOT being a single. The weight of expectation on a song once it becomes a single means I judge it in a different way. Imagine 'Coping' or 'Fade Away' had been singles, I don't think there would be so much love for those songs if they were put forward as big attention grabbing singles. Know what I mean!?

With Re

The Folding

Post by The Folding » 16 Dec 2019, 13:21

TracyJosh wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 11:10

The chorus sound is actually from a Boss BF-2 Flanger. He used a lot of flanger and tremolo(Oily Water intro) on MLIR and Parklife then from TGE onwards he used the Boss VB 2 Vibrato pedal more. The VB 2 is a drier, more wonky, seasick sound. In case you were interested! I know it can be difficult to identify specifically what kind of modulation pedal Graham is using, they are all similar. I wrongly assumed he used a Chorus pedal during S/T era, but he didn't, he just got a stereo effect from using 2 Marshall amps. I don't think he ever used a Chorus pedal at all in the 90s.

Back to Chemical World, I feel this song would have really benefited from NOT being a single. The weight of expectation on a song once it becomes a single means I judge it in a different way. Imagine 'Coping' or 'Fade Away' had been singles, I don't think there would be so much love for those songs if they were put forward as big attention grabbing singles. Know what I mean!?

With Re
Thank you, you're very knowledgeable on this. Unfortunately my armoury of pedals and equipment is sparse yet I'm fairly accomplished but amateur in general. A good peavey amp can give a decent reproduction for a bedroom play along but it's always nice to see how it's actually achieved. I wonder why Graham shifted his pedal preferences a little for TGE as the sound and loudness didn't alter much. His interest in Pavement etc didn't really transpose to the album. I'm guessing Streety is responsible somewhat. As much as I respect him, I wonder what TGE would have sounded like with someone else at the controls. If only TGE could have sounded more like the punkiness of the Dublin Castle gig of 95, but in saying that we had the self titled 2 years later. I can't be too gready.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 17 Dec 2019, 01:12

The Folding wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 13:21
If only TGE could have sounded more like the punkiness of the Dublin Castle gig of 95, but in saying that we had the self titled 2 years later. I can't be too gready.
Wait, there's a recording of Dublin Castle 1995?

The Folding

Post by The Folding » 17 Dec 2019, 04:50

loveinthe90s wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 01:12
The Folding wrote:
If only TGE could have sounded more like the punkiness of the Dublin Castle gig of 95, but in saying that we had the self titled 2 years later. I can't be too gready.
I don't know if there's a full show as I never heard it. I purchased a bootleg CD about 19 years ago called 'Camden High' that included 3 audience recorded songs from the gig. Also on the CD was Menswear busking at Camden Station and Dodgy. I can scan in the cover in the next week or so if that's easy enough to do.

loveinthe90s

Post by loveinthe90s » 18 Dec 2019, 00:11

The Folding wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 04:50
loveinthe90s wrote:
The Folding wrote:
I don't know if there's a full show as I never heard it. I purchased a bootleg CD about 19 years ago called 'Camden High' that included 3 audience recorded songs from the gig. Also on the CD was Menswear busking at Camden Station and Dodgy. I can scan in the cover in the next week or so if that's easy enough to do.
Wow that's one rare bootleg, I didn't even know it exists and I own a copy of Black Book. I know it's probably a big favour to ask but would you mind sharing the 3 tracks? TGE era has always fascinated me but there's just so little material from this period. Thanks a lot!

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 18 Dec 2019, 07:51

loveinthe90s wrote:
The Folding wrote:
Yea I'm shocked I don't have this either.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 20 Dec 2019, 06:50

TracyJosh wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 11:10

With Re
Yes, I know what you mean.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."