Top 10 Blur songs (from Stereogum)

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Neal Zeal

Top 10 Blur songs (from Stereogum)

Post by Neal Zeal » 06 Apr 2019, 13:53

This article is fairly old now and may have been discussed here before (I was Googling for reviews of 'Clover over Dover' and it came up).
It's a pretty interesting/thoughtful choice of songs mainly drawing on lesser known compositions (except The Universal).
Clover comes in at no. 8 with the following description:
"Parklife is pretty widely considered the essential Blur album; it was absolutely their most significant breakthrough and one of the defining documents of Britpop. But it’s not just an important record, it’s a great record, loaded with diverse and memorable songs, and almost flawless from top to bottom. “Clover Over Dover” is closer to the bottom, in several respects; it’s obviously nowhere near as well-known as “Girls And Boys” or “Parklife” or “To The End,” but it’s a better song than all of them. “Clover Over Dover” was reportedly conceived as a ska song, but the final version bears no traces of that genre; instead, it’s spacious, wondrous, and absolutely stunning, driven by a harpsichord and a puffy cloud-filled sky of backing vocals. Damon’s sweetly melancholic melody belies the moroseness of his lyrics: The song opens with “I’m on the white cliffs of Dover/Thinking it over and over/But if I jump it’s all over” and closes with “Don’t bury me I’m not worth anything.” It’s a minor song but a towering achievement."
For the rest of the top 10, click here! www.stereogum.com/1113892/blurs-10-best ... est-songs/

tom_cas1

Re: Top 10 Blur songs (from Stereogum)

Post by tom_cas1 » 09 Apr 2019, 22:33

I stopped reading when I saw Under The Westway at #5. Good song which I like a lot but in no way is it a top 5 song.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 10 Apr 2019, 22:34

Here are the top 10:
10 - On the way to the club
9 - He thought of cars
8 - Clover over Dover
7 - Trimm Trabb
6 - Out of time
5 - Under the Westway
4 - This is a low
3 - Caramel
2 - The Universal
1 - Blue jeans

Not a bad list, really.
I'd probably include quite a few of them in my own top 10 (Cars, Clover, Out of time, This is a low, Universal and Blue jeans).
Under the Westway is my favourite Blur song since Think Tank but it wouldn't quite make my list (reviewer admits that he may have over-rated it because it was a new song at the time).

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Apr 2019, 09:36

These things are obviously always subjective but I think people just pick left field songs to make themselves look/feel a bit more special (I've probably done it in the past).
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 11 Apr 2019, 12:05

I think the person who curated this list probably looks for the emotive value in songs above all else. These are all pretty melancholy cuts. Anyway, I love em all except Westway, which I still like.

This'll be interesting - what 10 songs do you think you all enjoy and have always listened to the most frequently out of the Blur catalog?

Mine would be the following:

10 - Villa Rosie
8 - Fade away
7 - He thought of cars
6 - London Loves
5 - Country Sad..
4 - Beetlebum
3 - Oily Water
2 - Colin Zeal
1 - For Tomorrow

stephen

Post by stephen » 11 Apr 2019, 12:48

TracyJosh wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 12:05
I think the person who curated this list probably looks for the emotive value in songs above all else.
Yes I think you might be right, OTWTTC sounds like quite a simple song (but has the potential to catch a chord emotionally).
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good