Damon Albarn - The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

lumaka

Re: Damon Albarn - The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows

Post by lumaka » 19 Jul 2019, 10:14

Brussels has sold out amazingly quickly, in 24 hours :shock:

Liese

Post by Liese » 22 Jul 2019, 07:17

lumaka wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 10:14
Brussels has sold out amazingly quickly, in 24 hours :shock:
Yes, FFS... I have contacted somebody on facebook for a re-sale of tickets but have not heard back. Suppose the second hand market will be a lot more active closer to the date... :lol:
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

mizzuzjoja

Post by mizzuzjoja » 24 Jul 2019, 15:37

I got tickets to the Paris show the day they went on sale, and I've just learned that one of my friends is getting married that same weekend... :cry:

So if it happens that I'm dejectedly offering them up for resale here next spring, you can be sure that they're coming from a real fan, and a very sad one at that.

Liese

Post by Liese » 25 Jul 2019, 07:37

mizzuzjoja wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 15:37
I got tickets to the Paris show the day they went on sale, and I've just learned that one of my friends is getting married that same weekend... :cry:

So if it happens that I'm dejectedly offering them up for resale here next spring, you can be sure that they're coming from a real fan, and a very sad one at that.
Oh my, too bad, sorry to hear that. But I am sure you will find a happy taker on here, come the time. If not, see you in Paris (got tickets for that the day it went on sale as well, just did not know he is coming to Brussels as well...)!
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 02 Oct 2019, 09:42

New dates for The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows! - Budapest, London + second dates in Brussels, Paris and Dublin
17 May 2020 - Bozar Brussels - tickets 9.10.2019
20 May 2020 - Müpa Budapest - tickets available now
23 May 2020 - Philharmonie de Paris - tickets available now
26 May 2020 - Barbican Hall, London - tickets: Barbican Members 3.10.2019, general sale 4.10.2019
1 June 2020 - National Concert Hall, Dublin - tickets 4.10.2019

And finally an official announcement:

Iceland is a unique country, filled with an abundance of natural beauty; glaciers, volcanoes, thermal springs, mountains and stunning headlands, stretching across two continents; a land where tectonic plates meet.

This new piece from Albarn, a frequent visitor to Iceland for almost three decades, will see the musician perform his first solo work in over five years, with an ensemble of orchestra instrumentation, electronics, vocals and piano, as well as visuals by Icelandic filmmakers capturing the changing seasons and recordings of natural sounds and instruments.

The title of the piece is taken from a John Clare poem, Love and Memory. Albarn is a singer, songwriter, composer, producer and founder member of Blur, Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad & The Queen.
Last edited by lumaka on 05 Oct 2019, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Liese

Post by Liese » 02 Oct 2019, 12:09

Lovely news, new dates, and one in Brussels too. Hopefully it will not sell out in minutes, according to the facebook event page for the gig the night after, people are very keen.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 24 Jan 2020, 20:54

There are two new dates:

10 June - K.B. Hallen in Copenhagen (to celebrate the 50th edition of Roskilde Festival)
12 June - Harpa Concert Hall in Reykjavik (this will be the last concert of the tour)

Tickets for Copenhagen are already on sale, presale for the concert in Reykjavik starts on 30 January and general tickets go on sale on 31 January.

A few days ago he gave the first interview about The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows to an Icelandic newspaper Morgunblaðið. It's in Icelandic (fair enough but oh dear!....) so you'll need Google Translator to read it: https://www.mbl.is/frettir/innlent/2020 ... rkid_mitt/
Much shorter English feature is here: https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/cult ... a_in_june/
⠀⠀
The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows is being written and composed entirely in Damon's house in Reykjavik. It will be performed with a roughly 25-piece orchestra conducted by André de Ridder. During the past months, musicians (mostly British + some Icelanders) joined Damon in his house three times and played together for several days in his living room. The piece is inspired by this exact place - Damon's Reykjavik house and what he sees when he looks out the windows.

This v

He talks about his feelings when he's home alone here, something between melancholy and depression. About the birds flying around his house. About the ever-changing shape of the snow-covered Esja mountain outside his windows. Giantesses and elves. The interview is full of this kind of stuff.

He confirms that when the first dates were announced (and sold out) that he had not yet begun to write his new piece. It still isn't ready – it's constantly changing, as the landscape outside the windows. In addition to the music there will be visuals - filmed in Iceland, partly by Damon himself, and drawings by Einar Örn. When asked whether the new work is a symphony, Damon responds that he could probably call it a tone poem. There is a lot of improvisation involved. "This is something I guess can never been properly recorded," he says "and I presume we will not record it until towards the end of the tour and then do it live."

munch

Post by munch » 25 Jan 2020, 07:51

excited to hear this.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

rich

Post by rich » 27 Jan 2020, 16:46

I managed to get 2 tickets at vast (resale) expense for the Barbican :D - Alex (aldamasta) is joining me...
Looking forward to this as interest builds! Hopefully as it's mid-tour Damon will have worked it out properly ;)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

daii

Post by daii » 27 Jan 2020, 20:14

i'd love a documentary about this project, something like the one we got on The culture show for everyday robots, the place is beautiful and i'd like to see damon working with the orchestra

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 06 Feb 2020, 18:34

Can't wait rich! I too hope Damon will have worked out the kinks by then. Wonder when (or if) he will actually record it, and will it just be a live recording?

And a documentary would be lovely, I agree daii. Damon's home in Iceland looks beautiful, it would make for a perfect culture show episode!

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 08 Feb 2020, 13:06

So is he going to release this as well or has it just being put together for live performance?

mizzuzjoja

Post by mizzuzjoja » 15 Feb 2020, 16:25

mizzuzjoja wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 15:37

Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell my tickets after all.

I paid 90 euros flat for two tickets to the May 24 show at Philharmonie de Paris. Seats are together: "2e balcon face - Block 2e balcon face - Row B - Seat 58" and "2e balcon face - Block 2e balcon face - Row B - Seat 60." I chose these seats quite carefully, towards the front of the balcony, so I know they're in a good spot:

PM me if interested, selling at face value!

rich

Post by rich » 17 Feb 2020, 15:33

new date added - London Palladium Weds 3 June :) :)
https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/damon ... eam-flows/
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

daii

Post by daii » 17 Feb 2020, 18:19

quite a view :D Image