Damon in Face

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Pavlich

Damon in Face

Post by Pavlich » 25 Feb 2019, 12:07

What do people think of Damon and this movie?

Not especially the movie – which is generally disliked on the internet, but I found it alright and pretty much a break even – but just Damon's performance, the fact he was in a film, why he wasn't, what you thought...

Was anyone around at the time? Do they remember how it was received or expected?

Personally I thought he played a role too close to himself and it was even quietened down with limited speaking roles, so it's pretty much anyone's game. The character he played was mostly boring too.

northernmonkey

Re: Damon in Face

Post by northernmonkey » 25 Feb 2019, 13:01

I went to the cinema to see it back in the day, and although he wasn’t in it that much I found it really uncomfortable watching him act. Blur were huge at the time in the UK and it did feel very weird and a strange decision on his part. I thought it was an average movie and pretty forgettable compared to the rush of similar British movies appearing around that time.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 25 Feb 2019, 16:03

It seems really strange now even though there was something of a precedence for it - everyone from The Beatles to Dylan to Bowie tried their hand at acting to varying degrees. Damon was in drama school before Blur and in a way I think it may have been one of the first signs of him spreading his wings for a life outside Blur. Although I seem to recall reading somewhere that he signed up for it at the height of the Britpop and regretted being tied to it when he was trying to move away from that scene with the s/t album.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Mar 2019, 06:59

I must admit it passed me by at the time, even though I was following Blur's musical activities.

It is notable that Damon was not a front person of the project, which retrospectively seems unusual.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 02 Mar 2019, 09:23

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 06:59
I must admit it passed me by at the time, even though I was following Blur's musical activities.

It is notable that Damon was not a front person of the project, which retrospectively seems unusual.
Robert Carlyle was massive at the time and this sort of film was his go-to job back then. Even Ray Winstone was probably in his peak.

Maybe Damon just didn't want to do all the press because he was over it before it'd begun?

Or maybe it's just mandatory that post-self-titled Damon Albarn must never ever be publicised, sold, or marketed...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Mar 2019, 07:00

Yes, all very valid points.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."