How did Parklife come to be?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

TracyJosh

How did Parklife come to be?

Post by TracyJosh » 12 Feb 2019, 23:12

Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on how Parklife the song was written? Did Damon ever go into it in any interviews at all or anything?

Other important songs in the Blur story have been discussed by the band, for example, the fact For Tomorrow was written on a piano at Damon's folk's over Christmas, The Universal starting as a ska song, This is a Low being inspired by a tea towel Alex got Damon as a present and Song 2 stemming from a throwaway jam - but is there any stories for Parklife?

It is such an incredibly unique song. Just wondering if there were any insights into how he constructed it?

stephen

Re: How did Parklife come to be?

Post by stephen » 13 Feb 2019, 09:16

It might be worth picking up "Blur: 3862 Days" there's a tonne of stuff in there about how the songs came together.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 13 Feb 2019, 19:23

also I think part of the album was inspired with Damon reading Martin Amis novel London Fields back in 1993.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

rich

Post by rich » 17 Feb 2019, 18:21

... and I seem to remember that at one of the Hyde Park gigs Damon said that Parklife was inspired by watching people in Hyde Park...

I was either there or I read this somewhere :)

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 18 Feb 2019, 10:09

rich wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 18:21
... and I seem to remember that at one of the Hyde Park gigs Damon said that Parklife was inspired by watching people in Hyde Park...

https://twitter.com/blurmex/status/526768747806486529

Never knew this existed 'til the other day and also didn't know it was actually written in Hyde Park. I'm surprised more of a deal hasn't been made of it. Big park, classic song, plenty of times the two have audibly and geographically colluded and matched...

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 18 Feb 2019, 11:02

I'd like to know who put this plaque on the bench. Next time in London I'll try to find it :-)
rich wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 18:21

Yep, it was 2009 Hyde Park concert (NDLTR DVD bonus), Damon said he came up with the idea for Parklife in this park. As far as I remember in some interview he also said that originally he wrote it as a prose.

rich

Post by rich » 18 Feb 2019, 13:59

hmmm - this bench thing needs further research...

that doesn't look at all like Hyde Park - the landscape is much too informal...

and that bench doesn't look anything like Hyde Park benches - which from a cursory google appear to fall into two types:

1. Victorian (original or repro) with cast iron sides/legs and horizontal wooden seat and backrest slats - but the slats are narrower and closer together than those in the picture
2. contemporary with vertical wooden slats on the backrest

plus this was a thing in 2014 - in 2015 blur fans would have been all over Hyde Park in the summer and no one tracked it down...

intriguing...

if I can get a free day I shall cycle around the park and see if anything turns up...

rich :geek: :geek:

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 18 Feb 2019, 17:27

It's really weird that there's no info about it... I've seen only two photos of this bench, it's also mentioned in this blog, and that's all.

rich

Post by rich » 18 Feb 2019, 18:28

OK - so I dug out my copy of the Parklive 4xCD/DVD book and had a look in there for any mention of the Parklife/Hyde park connection - and - nothing...

By the way, the CD book cover (and all the associated event artwork) always struck me as a bit weird. The rustic image behind Britannia sitting on the hippo isn't Hyde Park. Then I twigged...

this...

...is actually this - Windsor Castle!

...bloody miles away from Hyde Park! What was going on :roll:

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 19 Feb 2019, 11:16

Ahhh that damn bench!! The second day I got to London I wandered around Hyde Park for 2+ hours looking for it. Apparently it no longer exists, but did at one point (according to folks on Twitter who have said they saw it.) I got hopeless looking for the right bench and messaged a blur friend that had done the same thing at some point and they told me it hasn't been there for a few years now. I wish it were, and I wish the For Tomorrow primrose hill graffiti were still there.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 19 Feb 2019, 14:21

rich wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 18:28
OK - so I dug out my copy of the Parklive 4xCD/DVD book and had a look in there for any mention of the Parklife/Hyde park connection - and - nothing...

By the way, the CD book cover (and all the associated event artwork) always struck me as a bit weird. The rustic image behind Britannia sitting on the hippo isn't Hyde Park. Then I twigged...

this...

...is actually this - Windsor Castle!

...bloody miles away from Hyde Park! What was going on :roll:
Aaah, it makes sense now! I do love that CD boxest. It makes me smile that my name is in the back of the thank you credits.
When I've got some time off, I'm going to have to wander around Hyde Park. I do like walking Primrose Hill too.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”