TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Live Performances Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

nds34

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Live Performances Thread

Post by nds34 » 08 Dec 2018, 08:22

I was in the audience for that and before the show started Damon gave me a hug in the audience and also smiled when he sang and also told me off for being a bit noisy

Fred Perry

Post by Fred Perry » 08 Dec 2018, 21:59

The gig on Blackpool's Northern Pier was just mesmarising. The venue, the setting, the songs and the moment fitted together perfectly. 2 years in the planning and to be even just part of it by purely making up the numbers was such a privilege. Probably my second most favourite Damon Albarn moment of all time after Glastonbury 2009. One of best gigs ever. Even Mrs Perry loved it!!

Fred Perry.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 09 Dec 2018, 00:48

Glad they're starting to announce some festival gigs! That festival in Denmark has a great lineup, wow. I hope this means they'll announce another tour for next year soon. Surely they will, since Damon wants to continue doing these small, intimate gigs around the British Isles. I think it would be fantastic to go around for a month or two playing all over the Britain and ending the tour with a few nights at the Royal Albert Hall... the stuff of dreams! And there seems to be plenty of room in the RAH's schedule in the winter and spring of 2019...

Renny

Post by Renny » 09 Dec 2018, 18:13

Did anyone record any of the recent shows ? I'd love to hear it back !

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie » 10 Dec 2018, 07:56

It’s going to be interesting to see what sort of setlist they do on the festival circuit. Playing Merrie Land from start to finish might not be as well received as it has been at their own gigs. I remember when Blur got a bit of a backlash for playing 13 at T in the Park back in 99.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 10 Dec 2018, 15:48

Ronnie wrote:It’s going to be interesting to see what sort of setlist they do on the festival circuit. Playing Merrie Land from start to finish might not be as well received as it has been at their own gigs. I remember when Blur got a bit of a backlash for playing 13 at T in the Park back in 99.
They won't get long enough at festivals to do the same set list as the recent tour - they'll be much lower in the festival billing than Blur or The Gorillaz have ever been. Will probably have an hour tops.

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie » 10 Dec 2018, 17:21

Oh yeah they won't be able to do the whole set but an hour would be more than long enough to play Merrie Land from start to finish.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 10 Dec 2018, 17:34

Neal Zeal wrote:They won't get long enough at festivals to do the same set list as the recent tour - they'll be much lower in the festival billing than Blur or The Gorillaz have ever been. Will probably have an hour tops.
Well, depends, for example Lucca Summer Festival is basically a series of individual concerts (one artists, sometimes two) held every few days in June/July so TGTBTQ can play even for two hours if they wish.

rich

Post by rich » 11 Dec 2018, 20:48

Veikko wrote:The 'Mastertapes' session broadcast on BBC Radio 4:

17 Dec - 'A-side' - An interview by John Wilson - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001mp4
18 Dec - 'B-side' - The audience asks the questions from the band - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001mf3

Both episodes feature live tracks.
I was there :) :) - sorry about the late report!

I went with Jo (my daughter) last Friday. There was quite a bit of hanging around outside before we got in. We met Joff (CrossWires) and his girlfriend, so we were able to chat blur stuff as it got progressively colder. Then we were in - we had seats about half a dozen rows from the front...

Despite all the "no photos/no recording instructions" when it went 'live', there were plenty of phones out - discretely to begin with...

John Wilson introduced the band, they trooped out and sat down - all of them with Mike, the Demon Strings and the percussionist whose name I can never remember :oops: . Damon was immensely hungover - up all night the night before following the last Hackney gig! My heart sank, but he held it together very well - his singing was actually better than his talking...

John explained the format - a bunch of discussion, then performance of a group of songs. They'd drop the performances back into the discussion in editing for broadcast. So off we went. Discussion about the TGTB&TQ album first, then they played Kingdom of Doom, Behind The Sun, Nature Springs and TGTB&TQ (I think...it was a few days ago) - then discussion about Merrie Land, and then they played Merrie Land, Gun To The Head and Ribbons.

Then the Q&A, which was over much too quickly. John Wilson said he'd seen blur play since the Seymour days, and he thought Ribbons was one of the best things Damon had written. Damon said thanks, and that his Mum liked it very much!

I won't repeat all the Damon and Tony stuff as I expect we'll hear it next week, but Paul was very funny. When asked if he'd ever wanted to reform the Clash (ie before Joe died) he said absolutely not, as things were much more enjoyable when they only played small venues. He talked about the early punk days, when people thew things at them all the time (I remember those weird/mad days very well). He said he'd developed his side-to-side stage moves in response to dodging airborne bottles and glasses. He missed those times! Then they played one more number - The Poison Tree - and off they went.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 11 Dec 2018, 21:06

Thanks rich, I was a bit worried ;-) Paul's story about his stage moves is hilarious :lol:

One more summer date guys ---> 22 July, Geneva, Antigel Festival

CrossWires

Post by CrossWires » 12 Dec 2018, 00:35

Was great to see you Rich and lovely to meet your daughter as well. It was a great day (apart from all the waiting about in the cold)

I agree that the performances were great despite Damon being massively hungover (Ribbons was especially beautiful)

nds34

Post by nds34 » 12 Dec 2018, 07:34

I was the one that Damon hugged before the show started and also also the one that he smiled at when he sang and also the one that he told off for laughing too loud

stephen

Post by stephen » 12 Dec 2018, 09:27

So there was a lot more music than interview? I thought it was going to be the other way around. Shame I couldn't make it.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 14 Dec 2018, 11:33

New date --> Фестиваль Боль / Pain Festival (5-7 July 2019) in Moscow, Russia

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 14 Dec 2018, 18:19

Surely they'll be touring in the winter/spring months leading up to these summer festivals... I hope! Damon says he wants to do a proper tour of the British Isles, so I'm hoping they'll announce a tour soon.