TGTBTQ: New single "Merrie Land"

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Neal Zeal

Re: TGTBTQ: New single "Merrie Land"

Post by Neal Zeal » 24 Oct 2018, 22:11

lumaka wrote:I love it, but after reading the comments on various social media I'm also a bit surprised that *everybody* seems to like it - it's not easy listening at all!

some details from youtube description:

“Merrie Land” perfomed by:
Vocals, Lowery Organ, Piano by Damon Albarn. Bass by Paul Simonon. Guitar by Simon Tong. Drums by Tony Allen. Bassoon by Gareth Humphreys. Cor Anglais / Oboe by Kate St. John. Strings performed by The Demon Strings - Cello by Isabelle Dunn. Viola by Stella Page. Violin by Antonia Pagulatos. Violin by Kotono Sato.
Cor Anglais by Kate St John? How cool!
She was in 80s pop group Dream Academy best known for 'Life in a Northern Town', and played the rather lovely oboe/cor anglais part in that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UgYhZ36QB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 25 Oct 2018, 13:56

This song is a grower for me. I quite like it, but I'm still taking it all in - music, production, and especially lyrics. It certainly has me excited for the album. I'm really eager to hear it in the context of the entire album, which I think will increase my love of this song. The Lou Reed style of writing lyrics is something I'm really keen on, as he's one of my favorite musicians of all time. I feel like I'm going to spend a lot of time pondering on the songs and messages of this record. Can't believe we're so close to its release!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 26 Oct 2018, 07:36

Sledge Hammer wrote:
bugman wrote:
Sledge Hammer wrote:Love the chorus! Damon is back! his best tune in years.....ermmmm :oops:
Has it chorus? Where?
Exactly, he can't write them anymore, his magic went years ago sadly...
God forbid Damon release a song without a chorus. I can’t think of a single song in history without a chorus that’s ever been critically acclaimed. Remember when The Beatles released A Day in the Life, what a tuneless abomination that was?

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 26 Oct 2018, 08:48

Bit late as I've been away.
Its a grower. I can't stop playing it at the moment. As for the chorus "issue". It doesn't bother me as some of My favourite songs don't have choruses. Horses for choruses I say.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Oct 2018, 13:10

TripleJay97 wrote:Remember when The Beatles released A Day in the Life, what a tuneless abomination that was?
I don't think you remember when that was released. :lol:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

rich

Post by rich » 26 Oct 2018, 13:18

tom_cas1 wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:Remember when The Beatles released A Day in the Life, what a tuneless abomination that was?
I don't think you remember when that was released. :lol:
yeah but I do :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Oct 2018, 15:26

Well....here was a slight sampling of the initial reaction to "Strawberry Fields Forever" though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-keBliZndQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

But I bet none of these tunes will be "single worthy" to be honest, especially since it appears to be in form of a "concept album" like even "Humanz" appeared to be. Singles don't mean as much as they once did because most have become too commercial sounding anyways. I prefer if the album is full of substance and that's what "Merrie Land" consists of.... Substance over style anytime!

Danilo

Post by Danilo » 26 Oct 2018, 21:44

I don´t like the song but it´s better than Gorillaz .
2/5 .

munch

Post by munch » 28 Oct 2018, 20:02

love the music behind the vocals. Not a big fan of the lyrics. Made me want to go and listen to a better song called Fools Day :D

Saying that, i am looking forward to what the album has to offer. I'm just not a big fan of Damons talky rappy poetry unless its done well
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

Liese

Post by Liese » 02 Nov 2018, 12:05

A bit late to the party, but the lyrics and feel make this a 21st century version of This Is A Low for me.

Discuss! ;)
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Fred Perry

Post by Fred Perry » 04 Nov 2018, 09:52

It's a great record. The lyrics are superb and it could be one of Damon Albarn's most political songs to date. Really looking forward to the Album and seeing the band on the North pier in blackpool next month.

Fred Perry

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 06 Nov 2018, 23:18

Nice review here from the Guardian:
"It is 11 years since Damon Albarn’s vision of a sepia Britain of memory and forgetting first came to us down the telegraph wires. Back then, the obsession with English nationalism and declinism seemed like Damon’s quaint private hobbies. Not any more, bitches. Here, Damon dons the black top hat and strides back through the pea-soupers, to deliver a stunning national elegy in hobbled waltz time."
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/n ... ck-of-week" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;