Terrapin

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

TracyJosh

Terrapin

Post by TracyJosh » 04 Oct 2018, 14:51

Is it just me, or is it fair to say Miss America is massively inspired by this Syd Barrett song? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaGRtH7h4oA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TristramShandy

Re: Terrapin

Post by TristramShandy » 05 Oct 2018, 16:57

I've read that before somewhere.
I've known both songs for quite a long time, and the comparison never sprung to my mind. Now listening again, I can see how one can hear similarities. I still think the two songs have somewhat different atmospheres though.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 06 Oct 2018, 09:46

Well I think anything from Syd's solo work has a tremendously dark and heavy atmosphere, for better or worse..

Nothing plagiarized melodically, but the strumming pattern, general feel and use of open string chords on guitar is very similar. Also the vocal delivery.

Worth noting that Terrapin was recorded with an acoustic guitar and a Telecaster unplugged but with a mic on it. A very bizarre recording technique, but one that was also used for "You're so great" on Blur.

TristramShandy

Post by TristramShandy » 22 Oct 2018, 20:30

TracyJosh wrote:Worth noting that Terrapin was recorded with an acoustic guitar and a Telecaster unplugged but with a mic on it. A very bizarre recording technique, but one that was also used for "You're so great" on Blur.
I didn't know that was used on You're So Great, but incidentally, a few weeks ago I listened to the album again, and was wondering whether that could be the technique used on the beginning of Country Sad Ballad Man (on one of the guitars, at least), this kind of weird cheap guitar sound...