The History Of A Cheating Heart

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Pavlich

The History Of A Cheating Heart

Post by Pavlich » 27 Sep 2018, 08:31

What is this song about, or more so, what is the reference to cheating?

Apparently it's about the pursuit of songwriting and the toll of introspection and reliving big experiences. Obviously there is a reality that for something to be worth writing about, it's going to be effecting you. That can be hard to return to.

But what in the fuck is this thing about?

I thought, just from the title, this is about cheating.

The whole of Everyday Robots is a blend of present (or 2013, whatever) Damon and technology and humanity, but it was also a biography. Assuming this was a song about his past cheating – I remember reading a comment once where an Icelandic girl said the big joke at the time was Damon having children all over the country – and the lyrics definitely seem to reflect that in abstraction. 'More than you know.' Rivers being barer than you think. To me it's him accepting his issues and prickish nature and the guilt of whatever his partner knows, isn't all she could know.

Can anyone help me decode this?

Cheers.

TracyJosh

Re: The History Of A Cheating Heart

Post by TracyJosh » 27 Sep 2018, 09:26

I think the 'big experiences' are probably moments when he has been unfaithful to partners or friends, past and present. "I do love you, but it's just a fact" - It's as though he is telling his partner that he does and always will love them, that never changes regardless, but there's still a curiosity he pursues that he tries to separate from love, though overall, there's no getting away from the fact that it is still a form of betrayal to someone else.

Uncut magazine asked Damon if he thinks the pursuit of an artistic vision is damaging to emotional stability, to which he replied: “I think it definitely can be. Because, as a songwriter, you need to feel stuff for it to come out honestly. And how do you do that? You do that by being curious, and curiosity is a very open book for a lot of fuck-ups in life.” (Nicked from Genius)

I do recall reading or hearing an interview somewhere where Justine Frischmann said something along the lines of "You have to accept that you're always going to be in an open relationship with Damon." Call me cynical, but I seriously doubt many people that lead the life Damon does, with such extended periods travelling allover the world, faraway from partners for so long, stay completely faithful. Maybe with age one settles a bit more but I'm sure there's plenty instances in the past he can recall for this song. Not to get all trashy and tabloid-y, but it just seems an oddly literal thing to make a metaphor for something completely different in song. Particularly when the lyrics do describe the weight of lustful regret very well.

stephen

Post by stephen » 27 Sep 2018, 12:54

TracyJosh wrote:with such extended periods travelling allover the world, faraway from partners for so long, stay completely faithful.
Not everyone is sex mad :lol:
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 27 Sep 2018, 12:57

TracyJosh wrote:I think the 'big experiences' are probably moments when he has been unfaithful to partners or friends, past and present. "I do love you, but it's just a fact" - It's as though he is telling his partner that he does and always will love them, that never changes regardless, but there's still a curiosity he pursues that he tries to separate from love, though overall, there's no getting away from the fact that it is still a form of betrayal to someone else.

Uncut magazine asked Damon if he thinks the pursuit of an artistic vision is damaging to emotional stability, to which he replied: “I think it definitely can be. Because, as a songwriter, you need to feel stuff for it to come out honestly. And how do you do that? You do that by being curious, and curiosity is a very open book for a lot of fuck-ups in life.” (Nicked from Genius)

I do recall reading or hearing an interview somewhere where Justine Frischmann said something along the lines of "You have to accept that you're always going to be in an open relationship with Damon." Call me cynical, but I seriously doubt many people that lead the life Damon does, with such extended periods travelling allover the world, faraway from partners for so long, stay completely faithful. Maybe with age one settles a bit more but I'm sure there's plenty instances in the past he can recall for this song. Not to get all trashy and tabloid-y, but it just seems an oddly literal thing to make a metaphor for something completely different in song. Particularly when the lyrics do describe the weight of lustful regret very well.
I don't think there's been a person who has toured and hasn't cheated.

Damon was an impulsive, interesting person who didn't and doesn't give a fuck and clearly was a romantic. He is a drinker still and was a heroin addict... he is of a certain sort.

But yeah, if you go on genius they say this is a song about writing songs but I don't get that whatsoever. This seems to be a track revolving around the guilt of a life full of cheating.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 27 Sep 2018, 14:01

stephen wrote:
TracyJosh wrote:with such extended periods travelling allover the world, faraway from partners for so long, stay completely faithful.
Not everyone is sex mad :lol:
Yes, but it comes with the territory of touring! Gigs are party atmospheres mainly and the Gorillaz collective are pretty renowned for still throwing the kitchen sink at it party wise. Even Noel G said he struggles to keep up lol! I can't say for complete certainty that Damon is an unfaithful partner, but given the fact he's written this song and is in the precise profession that is probably notoriously the most difficult to maintain completely monogamous relationships, one would assume that somewhere along the line he had real life experiences to draw from when writing this song that seemingly deals directly with the topic of romantic guilt.

Besides, I think in the 90s him and Alex probably were sex mad lol!
Last edited by TracyJosh on 27 Sep 2018, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

stephen

Post by stephen » 27 Sep 2018, 14:05

Alex said he cheated once, and never did it again.

I dunno, it's hard to understand people's orientation from the face of it. Either I don't think society is as sex mad as it makes out or I am completely missing out.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 27 Sep 2018, 14:32

I think it's broader than that... In track by track Damon doesn't mention cheating at all.

I talk about relationships with my family, from childhood to now. It's driven by mistakes, happiness, dreams, expectations. How you find yourself locked in cycles and how you get out of them. I know that my experience is very similar to other people. I'm offering some of the more difficult stuff but I'm posing a question to everyone as well.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 27 Sep 2018, 15:16

From what I remember his partner Suzi travels for months at a time (or at least used to) for her work. Combine that with being away for months with touring and it’s a wonder how they’re still in a relationship. I mean I obviously don’t know the specifics of their relationship but I can’t see how a person with his personality wouldn’t have cheated on her at one point in their relationship. Then again maybe I’m wrong.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 27 Sep 2018, 15:44

lumaka wrote:I think it's broader than that... In track by track Damon doesn't mention cheating at all.

I talk about relationships with my family, from childhood to now. It's driven by mistakes, happiness, dreams, expectations. How you find yourself locked in cycles and how you get out of them. I know that my experience is very similar to other people. I'm offering some of the more difficult stuff but I'm posing a question to everyone as well.

'Fuck-ups' and 'mistakes' in adult life, 80% of the time, all of the time, refer to cheating. Lol.

The song is called The history of a cheating heart, also.

Having said that, songs are there to be interpreted whatever way in which the listener wants. I personally feel strongly that it is about infidelity because it captures an atmosphere of regret that I can associate with mishaps in my own life.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 28 Sep 2018, 13:42

stephen wrote:Alex said he cheated once, and never did it again.

I dunno, it's hard to understand people's orientation from the face of it. Either I don't think society is as sex mad as it makes out or I am completely missing out.
Not true. He said he felt bad but continued doing it, with his long-term girlfriend. I haven't finished Bit Of a Blur yet but he goes on about it a lot. And he did it. A lot. During the initial momentum of the band and when they began constantly touring, he got offered it a lot. He didn't have to try.

The quote he used was 'there was always a thousand reasons to say yes and only one to say no.'

stephen

Post by stephen » 01 Oct 2018, 08:25

Pavlich wrote:
stephen wrote:Alex said he cheated once, and never did it again.

Not true. He said he felt bad but continued doing it, with his long-term girlfriend. I haven't finished Bit Of a Blur yet but he goes on about it a lot. And he did it. A lot. During the initial momentum of the band and when they began constantly touring, he got offered it a lot. He didn't have to try.

The quote he used was 'there was always a thousand reasons to say yes and only one to say no.'
Ah right, either I read it wrong or my memory is terrible :lol:

munch

Post by munch » 04 Nov 2018, 11:45

yeah i just assumed he cheated in some form or at least thought about it plenty. ive heard many other lyrics in recent years from him referring to this. but ill have to get back to you on that. i think shes my collar?...

I don't take her number, just don't think I'd call her
I take her down to somewhere dreading all day
I clear my system, I don't need no other
This is my persona, secret lover
Nothing to be justified in
Just something, you should feel nada
I know she lies, I know she's my caller
I sense her in my mind, she's my collar""

"Saturnz about to make love
And I'm just a heartbreaker
All my life
And I won't get a take in
'Cause I'm out when I'm stakin'
And the rings I am breaking
Are making you a personal day"

slightly related Selfish Giant is about a difficult relationship. (i know he said it was about submarines but i dont believe thats the whole thing for a second)
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

JackS

Post by JackS » 04 Nov 2018, 17:45

munch wrote:yeah i just assumed he cheated in some form or at least thought about it plenty. ive heard many other lyrics in recent years from him referring to this. but ill have to get back to you on that. i think shes my collar?...

I don't take her number, just don't think I'd call her
I take her down to somewhere dreading all day
I clear my system, I don't need no other
This is my persona, secret lover
Nothing to be justified in
Just something, you should feel nada
I know she lies, I know she's my caller
I sense her in my mind, she's my collar""

"Saturnz about to make love
And I'm just a heartbreaker
All my life
And I won't get a take in
'Cause I'm out when I'm stakin'
And the rings I am breaking
Are making you a personal day"

slightly related Selfish Giant is about a difficult relationship. (i know he said it was about submarines but i dont believe thats the whole thing for a second)
It struck me that a lot of The Now Now felt like a breakup album or something

“Reset myself and get back on track, I don’t want this isolation, see the state I’m in now (or do I head out on to the lonesome trail, and let you down)”
“I’m not gonna cry, I’ll find another dream... Am I incapable of healing the memory of my fall from grace in your heart”
“I got drunk, I’m sorry, am I losing you?” - following fireflies into the night is also a bit on the nose
“I will always think about you, that’s why I’m calling you back” etc etc

Difficult and perhaps wrong to speculate but many of the lyrics from that album seem more personal than anything he has written for a while

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 05 Nov 2018, 23:05

Great last couple of posts. Why does the Now Now suck so much then? Decent lyrics now I've seen them. Melancholy Damon is the best.

munch

Post by munch » 10 Nov 2018, 15:38

shes my collar, ""And now I wanna taste another""

Fireflies could be a break up song yah. But i feel like a bit of The Now Now may still be about the beginning reactions to Brexit? But maybe not.

The Now Now its a shame but a lot of for me is that blummin radio effects on the vocals. And one or two tracks could have used some other vocalists like Humanz.

But talking about Fireflies i think its perfect.

Highly possible this begin at Everyday Robots and has gone on till The Now Now
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man