Orbit's Under the Westway

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Rubi

Orbit's Under the Westway

Post by Rubi » 19 Sep 2018, 21:11

Am I the only one who enjoys this? Yes, the auto-tune is over-the-top and unnecessary, but I really like the song structure and instrumentation.

blurop4

Re: Orbit's Under the Westway

Post by blurop4 » 20 Sep 2018, 03:41

Um, heck yeah, the Billy Orbit version is way better than the final version ... even Graham admitted somewhere that he secretly likes the version better.

It's just loaded with awesome/insane guitars and pianos plus the middle parts are perfect. The only knock is the lyrics are better/finished on the approved version.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 20 Sep 2018, 14:17

I know this was no doubt put together by Orbit using lots of different parts of the sessions, but I did and still think it sounded like Blur but in an exciting new direction, a kind of upbeat follow on from the 13 sessions, which isn't surprising considering he was the producer on that.

Very different from what was the finished version and totally different from what came from TMW sessions.

I'd not listened to it since before TMW's release and maybe appreciate it more now, just proves how the same song/idea can take such a differnet direction.

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 20 Sep 2018, 16:07

Bits of it remind me of the production on MLIR. The auto tuned vocals make it sound a bit too children's television, but much like the Andy Partridge sessions, it does offer an intriguing alternative.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 20 Sep 2018, 16:43

Am I the only one who has never heard the Orbit UTW? Where do I find it? Is it on YouTube?

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 20 Sep 2018, 18:02

I think it's great, much more fun than the original and yes a different direction for Blur yet again...

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 20 Sep 2018, 20:08

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Where do I find it? Is it on YouTube?
Yes, here ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtnmn4CUX38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 20 Sep 2018, 23:46

Thanks now I can be in the in-crowd

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 21 Sep 2018, 21:48

I prefer the released version. Orbits is more cartoony and I think is detrimental to quite a beautiful poignant song

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 22 Sep 2018, 01:41

Mark87uk wrote:I prefer the released version. Orbits is more cartoony and I think is detrimental to quite a beautiful poignant song
That's exactly how I felt. His version took away the beauty of the released version.

Mark87uk

Post by Mark87uk » 22 Sep 2018, 18:07

At least im not alone haha.

Very emotional track im not even from London and when I listen to it he could be singing to me. Gets me everytime. Same with young and lovely tbf

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 22 Sep 2018, 20:51

I like it, the middle breaks the repetition of the final song.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 24 Sep 2018, 01:34

The Orbit version is a steaming pile of dog shit that he only released after they fired him. It has a nice section in the middle which is definitely a different song he pasted in there, but apart from that, trash. And the auto tune was done to spite Damon.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 24 Sep 2018, 03:11

The thing that strikes me is it's just a great song no matter which way you spin it, even with the absolute travesty of autotune in a piano-led track...

Just listen to the chords being played on that cheap sounding synth, still swells up the emotions like the original.

But yeah it's not especially great, the tempo is a little clunky, things come and go, some of the sounds are like presets. And the middle section is completely unrelated. Like as a presented whole it's nothing more than a novel throwaway.
tom_cas1 wrote:The Orbit version is a steaming pile of dog shit that he only released after they fired him. It has a nice section in the middle which is definitely a different song he pasted in there, but apart from that, trash. And the auto tune was done to spite Damon.
Never actually considered it this way but yeah, surely it's another song. It's completely different. And a good way to subtly piss the band off.

Could it even be two?

At 1:50 there's a pretty sort of Magic Whip-y guitar line (a bit too simple and structured) and drums but the melody is really nice. It's not inventive but it's emotive. And it seems to be building somewhere.

Then at 2:54, there's a way more traditional sounding song that's a lot more like Under The Westway. It's actually really reminiscent of the first The Good, The Bad & The Queen album, just the way he's playing the piano and the lyrics. I like the idea of Damon really intensively tapping into that part of London but not from a young man's perspective or a fictional narrative, characterised one either... a proper pure look at what it is to live in London as an older person when it's been your home. Public bars, your kids, all these things tap back into the raw feeling and outlook of Under The Westway.

Which, by the way, and I'll never deny this, is one of their all-time classics, the idea of an album of those themes and traditional Beatles-y sounds is unreal. Honestly a massive shame we didn't get some commitment around that time. It would have been the perfect comeback record...

stephen

Post by stephen » 25 Sep 2018, 10:34

It's embarrassingly bad on orbits part.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good