Democrazy > Demon Days

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

stephen

Democrazy > Demon Days

Post by stephen » 27 Aug 2018, 11:29

We all know that "I need a gun" turned into Dirty Harry and although there's no obviously links between the other songs they clearly made an impact to what Demon Days became.

Anyway during my lovely insomnia phases last night I was humming between End of democrazy and Feel Good Inc. Although clearly not a "Feel Good Inc" demo I get the impression that this may have been the start of the process which became the track. Does anyone else see the comparisons or am I just talking (demo)crazy?

There's a few tracks I hear and think "Where the Fuck?" did that come from, I think Beetlebum and Feel Good Inc are two of those tracks that just seem to come from a completely different place. The Beetlebum demo that we got certainly made the track more relatable of how it developed but the Feel Good Inc (Noodle Demo) sounds pretty close to the polished version. Does anyone know where the Feel Good Inc baseline came from?
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

aldamasta

Re: Democrazy > Demon Days

Post by aldamasta » 28 Aug 2018, 23:21

Not completely related, but speaking of Democrazy, I've always been sad that Half A Song never made it into a full song, at least as far as I know.

stephen

Post by stephen » 29 Aug 2018, 09:06

aldamasta wrote:Not completely related, but speaking of Democrazy, I've always been sad that Half A Song never made it into a full song, at least as far as I know.
That's the one that stood out for me when I re-listened to it the other day. There's probably more material out there that we haven't listened to so maybe something happened to that track.

subspecies of an american day was rumoured to used by blur but I think Dave Rowntree dismissed it.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 03 Sep 2018, 12:42

Amazing how consistently half-baked and plain shitty a lot of Blur/Damon demos are and then how amazing and perfect the final songs can be. There are some bands who have demos full of spirit or that are at least fully-fledged and really promising in their own right. Or just good. But Damon's demos have been a pain to listen to. I don't think I've genuinely ever enjoyed one.

I bet if he listened to it though he'd hear the full song in his head. 'Ah yep, and the beat'll go...' or 'and here's where the sound of the drum changes...'

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 03 Sep 2018, 14:09

Yeah, the Damon only demo as opposed to Blur demo's are usually awful. For a talented musician/singer songwriter with so much instrument wise at his disposal, you would expect better. I guess a demo could be as little as an idea someone could record on the move to something that just needs that extra polish of a producer and a recording studio. I think Damon has become lazy in his writing but I think that has come with working alone, compared to what he had in Blur. I think the drive has gone to a certain extent with record labels not leaning on him anymore, he is maybe one of the hardest working musicians but I get the impression that much of his work he doesn't give enough time to. I love Gorillaz and his other projects, but the days of genune pop classics such as For Tommorow, The Universal etc are gone, as not enough time is put aside for the polish of these songs and I guess that youthful outlook when it comes to song writing. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :)

stephen

Post by stephen » 04 Sep 2018, 08:56

I guess they aren't truely 'demos' more like sketches on a four track. They have to come from somewhere / starting point.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Sep 2018, 04:15

northernmonkey wrote:but the days of genune pop classics such as For Tommorow, The Universal etc are gone, as not enough time is put aside for the polish of these songs and I guess that youthful outlook when it comes to song writing.
Yes, good point.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."