Blur landmarks in London

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TracyJosh

Blur landmarks in London

Post by TracyJosh » 31 May 2018, 16:01

Heading down to London for a few days tomorrow. Should have a good day or so to myself to explore as I please, so I was just wondering what you all would say are the most prominent Blur landmarks across the city?

Be it places referenced in songs, maybe old hangouts for the band or venues... I know a few off the top of my head like primrose hill etc, but just interested to know if there was anyone on here who's more familiar with the city first hand to suggest some more? Will probably listen to Parklife and TGE on the flight down to get me in the zone :P

lumaka

Re: Blur landmarks in London

Post by lumaka » 31 May 2018, 16:23

Tracy ---> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 31 May 2018, 16:50

Cheers!

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 12 Jul 2018, 15:35

Are there any landmarks in Colchester, btw?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 14 Jul 2018, 17:50

Damon's childhood home in Colchester (as shown on the Culture Show in 2014), Stanway Comprehensive, and the East Anglian Railway Museum are the ones off the top of my head. Sure there would be some others. I'm planning on going to Colchester when I study in London, so I need to see if there are any other relevant sites to hit whilst there.

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 14 Jul 2018, 18:05

I'm going to spend my holidays next week in Essex, so I hope that I can figure out some new locations. There must be The Cups hotel, where the art school crowd used to hang out and the old pub's they visited while they still lived there.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 15 Jul 2018, 16:26

Walthamstow, 13 studios, Mile End park, A pint in the good mixer in Camden and westbourne groove( you might see Damon in the chippy! ;) )
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 17 Jul 2018, 00:52

Hope you have a great time, Moritz! Let us know what blurry places you stumble upon :)

Moritz

Post by Moritz » 24 Jul 2018, 13:06

Thanks! The trip to the UK was great, especially because of the great wheater and the sights.

As for Colchester, the countryside around the city in Essex is very great (reminds me a bit of the Chemical World clip). The town itself seems to be a very typicaly British town with a long high street and a few small streets and corners around. The Cup's pub is sadly shut down, but there are a lot of cool pubs and restaurants around. I realy could imagine that they hung oround there, especially at those where the jukebox played "Nancy Sinatra or gothic stuff" as Graham told in 3862 Days. The city got also the historical castle, I think there must be a picture of the group standing in front anywhere. I also saw the old cemetary, where Graham photographed tombstones for a school project. The way to Stanway School was a bit long, quit a route with bus and to walk. As many British schools, it is not in the city centre. But it was interesting to walk through the living areas and neighborhood where Graham and Damon grew up. It was exactly as Damon told in No Distance Left To Run. So all in all you can get a good view how the two guys grew up, but also a typical British town. During my way back to the town, I also buyed a Jesus Jones, Blur's label mates and support group, and Lightning Seeds records on a street market as a good souvenir. Sadly, the Railway museum is located on the half way back to London, so I could not saw it at this day, but hopefully at any time soon.

The time in London offered also many intersting stuff. Brixton Academy, Kilburn National Ballroom (now defunct), Dingwalls, KOKO, Electric Ballroom are the venues where they played. The Maison Rouge studio has been closed, there is an housing estate on it's old place now. The Zed One studio, where graham recorded solo music, is a hiring venue now. Visiting the Good Mixer and Dublin Castle in the evening was a duty. And I also had a pint in a small club just under the Westway. I had also two interesting moments conected with Blur: After I went to Primrose Hill, I went into a cafe to eat, and the first thing they done was playing For Tomorrow over the sound system. The second one was a visit at the Odeon cinema in Camden, where I wore a Blur shirt. One of the staff members recognized it and asked me about my favorite Blur album. He told me that he went to the 2009 Hyde Park shows and we talked for minutes about the music and the skills of each member. Cool visit!

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 24 Jul 2018, 13:42

Fantastic! I'm only 60miles from London. Must take a trip to London soon!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 Jul 2018, 05:31

It is evident you had a good trip Moritz.

Visiting the locations where things happened is fascinating and insightful.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 27 Jul 2018, 16:18

That's great, Moritz. Sounds like you made the best out of your trip! Can't wait to see some of that for myself.