Gene by gene

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TristramShandy

Gene by gene

Post by TristramShandy » 14 Feb 2018, 10:31

I thought it would be interesting to talk "genetics" in Blur songs, i.e. how songs can relate to each other in their inspiration, composition, etc. throughout the years.
A few thoughts I had:
  • Blue Jeans and Resigned are twin songs;
  • the guitar riff of Movin' On is a harder version of that of Magic America;
  • Look Inside America is a variation on End Of A Century;
  • the ending of Black Book is wholly reminiscent of the outro of Beetlebum, with the ad lib guitar vamp.
Share your thoughts!

stephen

Re: Gene by gene

Post by stephen » 14 Feb 2018, 11:34

I'm no expert on this at all.

But when I first purchased the best of album I would often get stereotypes and beetlebum confused. Lyrically very different, it must have been the guitar.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

stephen

Post by stephen » 14 Feb 2018, 11:36

One thing I do really appreciate is the outro's in blur songs. Music is my radar and Coffee and Tv have great crazy outro's.

Also: I don't know which member it was but one of them said that you can pick a song from each album which leads on to the next one. So for example: Essex Dogs leads into 13. Yuko and Hiro leads into selftitled. I don't think it was always the last track. I guess it stopped at 13 because 13 and think tank were so different. But you could probably pick something off think tank that leads into TMW.

Styopa

Post by Styopa » 14 Feb 2018, 13:02

Some songs that sound closely related to me, either musically or lyrically:

London Loves and Top Man. Musically definitely occupy the same universe and lyrically both encapsulate that slightly dystopian vision of London as portrayed by Martin Amis in London Fields.

Bank Holiday and Chinese Bombs. Both strongly influenced by punk and musically not dissimilar. But the way the songs have been produced and the lyrics demonstrate nicely the change of direction on the Blur album.

He Thought of Cars and Death of a Party. He Thought of Cars is probably the one song from The Great Escape that would sit right on the Blur album. To me these songs evoke a similar mood, the chorus's in particular sound quite similar,and they both evoke a strong feeling of alienation.

stephen

Post by stephen » 14 Feb 2018, 14:18

Those are some excellent comparisons.

damon008

Post by damon008 » 16 Feb 2018, 19:48

i cant stand gene by gene. worst song on thinktank by country mile

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 16 Feb 2018, 22:34

Agree with most previously mentioned.. Noticed just last week that Movin On and Magic America are very similar guitar parts!

Here's some I've noticed. I draw comparisons mainly by general feel and vibe of the songs, but sometimes it's more specific like sharing the same lyrical topics.

Parklife and Sunday, Sunday
Girls and Boys and Entertain me
Tracy Jacks and Stereotypes

This is a Low and He Thought of Cars and Strange news from another star. At a push id even add 1992. All have quasy Syd Barret, early Bowie chords progression. Which in turn has become a very signature Blur thing.

Add Bluremi and We've for a file on you to Bank Holiday and Chinese Bombs family.
For Tomorrow and Lonesome Street
London loves and Go Out
Vila Rosie and Girls and Boys are very similar lyrically in many ways. Casual, night club, cattlemarket mating and such.

So you and soundcheck :p

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 19 Feb 2018, 10:02

Entertain Me and Top Man should not be on the same record.

The melody is so similar and the general critique and perspective is as well.

In an overlong album it's pretty stupid to have both.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 19 Feb 2018, 11:28

damon008 wrote:i cant stand gene by gene. worst song on thinktank by country mile
It's terrible, "me and fatboy" far worse than Crazy Beat which I like for 5hits and giggles.

damon008

Post by damon008 » 19 Feb 2018, 14:48

omg seems i miss understood thread why didnt someone, ,,,,tell mee :cry:

but definitely fatslim was a 5hit and should neber have represented blur. but i fo like the think tank lots. if graham recirded it with tge band in his current mind state zbd in summer months imagine such potential

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Feb 2018, 17:01

You're all wrong. Gene By Gene is a banger.

I think it's worth mentioning that in 1992 - a song that was demoed in, well, 1992 - Graham uses a specific guitar effect that hadn't been used in a Blur song since around that time, like Into Another and Hanging Over.

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 21 Feb 2018, 14:46

TripleJay97 wrote:
I think it's worth mentioning that in 1992 - a song that was demoed in, well, 1992 - Graham uses a specific guitar effect that hadn't been used in a Blur song since around that time, like Into Another and Hanging Over.
The guitar sound Graham got towards the end of 1992 is the best noise I've ever heard, point blank!

stephen

Post by stephen » 21 Feb 2018, 16:01

I had to read that a few times. Are you saying the song 1992 features guitar effects that Graham also used in the year 1992?

damon008

Post by damon008 » 21 Feb 2018, 18:04

into another should have been,,, presented on an album,,, same goes for neverclever and 7days

blur mini ep

popscene
headist//inti another
neverclever
7 day
im fine
BONEBAg

i drool

im sorry but i dont realy understand this game sorry if i stray :oops:

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 22 Feb 2018, 01:41

UnderThePuritan wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:
The guitar sound Graham got towards the end of 1992 is the best noise I've ever heard, point blank!
Is it not just the worbly vibrato tone? That featured on Country Sad... outro and Coffee & TV solo. Or so you mean the feedback that sustains after everything else fades out? I guess that is similar to the end of 'Sing'.