Damon Albarn’s Africa Express project accused of unfair.....

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mark72

Damon Albarn’s Africa Express project accused of unfair.....

Post by Mark72 » 06 Feb 2018, 20:37

.......treatment oops!
http://www.nme.com/news/music/damon-alb ... ct-2236879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

damon008

Re: Damon Albarn’s Africa Express project accused of unfair.

Post by damon008 » 07 Feb 2018, 05:08

maybe this will finally put an end to this god awful music

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 08 Feb 2018, 17:29

NME's wesbite doesn't even load for me anymore unless I'm on mobile. So shit.

Also, I think calling Africa Express god awful music is a bit of a stretch. Also, it's introduced me to a lot of great African artists I would have never known. Snippets from the South African sessions have sounded really cool so far.

damon008

Post by damon008 » 08 Feb 2018, 20:38

i get you adamast i reaally do. i love damon, i mean blimey o reilly look at my username lol
but this is the a part of damon that makes me think bono or paul simon when he went world music lol

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 09 Feb 2018, 06:52

damon008 wrote:i get you adamast i reaally do. i love damon, i mean blimey o reilly look at my username lol
but this is the a part of damon that makes me think bono or paul simon when he went world music lol
...and Sting :lol: yeah he should have left it behind and moved on years ago, bit of world music, get it out of your system.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 12 Feb 2018, 17:32

Some shit I want to challenge in this thread. 8-)

Paul Simon made some of his best music when he turned to worldbeat and Africa. So did the Beat, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, even Can. And, just like those artists, in my ears Damon never slips when he's in the awe of the continent's grooves. Africa Express isn't by any means my favourite of these experiments though (that would be DRC Music and the relevant parts of Think Tank).

And there's no African influences in U2's discography, so that's irrelevant. Sting? well... is his solo career not worse when he isn't nicking a few African rhythms?

I want Vampire Weekend to bring back the space in their music, and that means bringing back the Afropop and moulding it into new shapes a la Contra, rather than virtually abandoning it altogether as was the case with Modern Vampires. At this stage, the last thing I want Damon to do is turn his back on his 21st century experiences and make more tracks like (the very good), Ong Ong and I Broadcast, even though a reunion with Blur is something I'd love.

Sorry I'm a bit drunk

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 12 Feb 2018, 20:03

^ excellent post.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 12 Feb 2018, 21:07

Caitlin wrote:^ excellent post.
Agreed. It's all just music, be glad he's having fun and making music.

damon008

Post by damon008 » 12 Feb 2018, 21:51

i respectly reply that if ucompare modern life to any of; his africa stuff, ur clinicaly insane lol. im half joking of course

i have no beef with anything he does, im being resp,ectful to ur opiniins hut i honestly cant see how anyone can realy enjoy that stuff.

please dont shoot me to the flames,,, sometimes im scared to reply here i like you all but well, i guess you understand what i mean. sometimes i can't get my point so clear. doug is pretty good at making my words better

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 12 Feb 2018, 22:14

Oh I definitely prefer Modern Life is Rubbish and Blur on the whole, but I guess I'm not usually disappointed by Damon in any of his endeavours. I guess I see too much "when's the next guitar album, Damon" stuff here, which is all very well, but dismissing Damon's obviously passionate and long-lasting love for African music as something he should have "got out of his system years ago" just because it wasn't where he first made his living and his fans seems silly. Idk.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 13 Feb 2018, 03:02

Great points advert break! Paul Simon's Graceland is absolute pop glory and one of the finest albums of all time. Glad you mentioned that! Also, I would love some more Contra-ish vibes from VW on their new album. Contra is easily my favorite album of theirs, and I have high (but cautious!) hopes for this year's record.

Back to the topic at hand, I don't get really excited by Africa Express, but it never bothers me when Damon does it. There have been good tunes come from it, and Damon records so damn fast it really doesn't get in the way of other things. How long was he even in South Africa?? Must have been a lightning fast recording process. But if all Damon did was indulge his world music interests, well, it would get old incredibly fast. Unless he can make something to match the quality of Mali Music... I'd argue it's Damon's world music peak. Great album.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 16 Feb 2018, 05:21

it's definitely a problem if all the players and singers aren't made abundantly clear that this is a non-profit thing

but also i'd say it's more something that damon's people should be worrying about when booking these things than damon himself