Damon's plans for the next months

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Damon's plans for the next months

Postby lumaka » 28 Nov 2017, 09:41

In this recent Damon's interview with Antoine de Caunes he mentions all the projects he'll be working on in the near future. So, now he's finishing European leg of Humanz tour, then he has 2 and a half weeks off, then he goes to Bamako in Mali to work on Sundiata poem (this is a new Damon's project for the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris), and then to Johannesburg with Africa Express. After that he goes back to London to ("hopefully") finish new Gorillaz album (he's recording it now, during the Humanz tour), then there is a South American leg of Gorillaz tour in March, then he comes back to London again and wants to finish TGTBTQ album. Earlier in the interview he says that it needs only one more month to be ready, he's very excited about it and calls it "one of the best things I’ve been involved in". Later he will play some summer festivals with Gorillaz and after that he will go Mali again for a long period.

Bless him!
lumaka

Re: Damon's plans for the next months

Postby Liese » 28 Nov 2017, 10:08

lumaka wrote:In this recent Damon's interview with Antoine de Caunes he mentions all the projects he'll be working on in the near future. So, now he's finishing European leg of Humanz tour, then he has 2 and a half weeks off, then he goes to Bamako in Mali to work on Sundiata poem (this is a new Damon's project for the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris), and then to Johannesburg with Africa Express. After that he goes back to London to ("hopefully") finish new Gorillaz album (he's recording it now, during the Humanz tour), then there is a South American leg of Gorillaz tour in March, then he comes back to London again and wants to finish TGTBTQ album. Earlier in the interview he says that it needs only one more month to be ready, he's very excited about it and calls it "one of the best things I’ve been involved in". Later he will play some summer festivals with Gorillaz and after that he will go Mali again for a long period.

Bless him!

Guess nobody can complain about Damon's output... :lol:
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Liese

Postby stephen » 28 Nov 2017, 13:29

I want to know where he gets the energy from.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby tom_cas1 » 28 Nov 2017, 16:05

I admire his stamina but I hope all of that work in a short amount of time doesn't result in mediocre music. It's ok to take a break once in a while, two and a half weeks is nothing given the schedule he's been on for years now. Take 6 months, come back fresh!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby stephen » 28 Nov 2017, 16:17

I do get the feeling it's more quantity over quality.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby damon008 » 28 Nov 2017, 16:20

tom_cas1 wrote:I admire his stamina but I hope all of that work in a short amount of time doesn't result in mediocre music. It's ok to take a break once in a while, two and a half weeks is nothing given the schedule he's been on for years now. Take 6 months, come back fresh!

i love damon, i mean just look at my username. but i argree with this one hunderd percent. i admire damons 9-5 approach to his craft but while it contributed to his success its aslo is his downfall. in every job we need to rechange the battery but maybe itsan arogance that damon feels he doesn't have to. i mean by dropping half of humans for the latest leg of gigs must show he realised its not exactly hit the bullseye. so yes damon, book a holiday somewere quiet, take the gf and maybe missy and just rest. then look at good bad queen with a fresh look. jesus we dont mind waiting an extra 6 months for petes sake.

Postby Liese » 28 Nov 2017, 16:58

stephen wrote:I want to know where he gets the energy from.

Well, to be fair every single thing he has on his schedule sounds tremendously exciting - I'd have some energy going spare for that :lol:
"I'm bizarrely a [...] lawyer, and that takes up every spare second of the day -- forever."

Liese

Postby Pavlich » 29 Nov 2017, 13:59

He is a total scatterbrain and trying to work out his plans are pointless. He is just all over the place. The biggest pain is he seemingly has limited quality control. He obviously likes the regiment of working at specific times, and a lot of people need that routine in their life, but just because he writes music for eight hours a day doesn't mean he needs to release all of it. He needs to be able to acknowledge a lot will be rubbish and the majority won't be good enough, as well as looking backwards and picking back up old threads.

To me, I imagine him as spending a month on the one thing and then leaving it up to other people to sort out and release. He isn't someone awfully interested in the artwork, especially these days, and seems more likely to sign off on something than to help the process. The other part of this whole thing is that if something doesn't work, he quickly moves on and that possibly promising little song is never touched again.

I wish he'd really slow down, be a lot more self-analytical, criticise his own work, and at this stage of his career just try really really hard to cement the legacies of his various acts. With his work rate, he could still have fairly decent output rates while putting out material of a much higher standard.

It's infuriating the way he works and has done since about The Fall, but what can you do?

(He needs to get rid of all this African stuff too... I know it's enriching for him, and it's a passion project, but to a bystander it just takes up so much time.)
Pavlich

Postby anothermario » 30 Nov 2017, 18:34

Pavlich wrote:It's infuriating the way he works and has done since about The Fall, but what can you do?

(He needs to get rid of all this African stuff too... I know it's enriching for him, and it's a passion project, but to a bystander it just takes up so much time.)

Comments like this make it seem like Damon owes you...us...the world...something :roll: he's creating art and loving it, and by chance millions of other people around the world love it too, imho if you happen to not love something he does, don't listen to it ;)
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat
anothermario

Postby tom_cas1 » 30 Nov 2017, 19:49

I agree with the African music comment to be honest but only because it's not my cup of tea. I wish he'd spend the time he takes to do the on more Blur/The Good, The Bad & The Queen but that's just my opinion.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 01 Dec 2017, 07:37

Pavlich wrote:I wish he'd really slow down, be a lot more self-analytical, criticise his own work, and at this stage of his career just try really really hard to cement the legacies of his various acts.

With his work rate, he could still have fairly decent output rates while putting out material of a much higher standard.

Good points. Damon does seem very busy.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby MsMagicAmerica » 01 Dec 2017, 22:08

Good for him to have so many interesting things lined up. My thing is this, like others have said, just b/c he created music doesn't mean he has to release it. I don't think you have to spend months on a project to make it good, but not all projects are going to be great. Only release the great ones. Also, I'm sure he knows his limits. I would hope that if he feels his body needs for him to slow down, he would.
MsMagicAmerica

Next

Return to Blur