Think Tank is underrated.

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JackS

Re: Think Tank is underrated.

Post by JackS » 14 Nov 2017, 19:58

Very, very close to being my favourite - with the obvious changes i.e. swap out Crazy Beat and Gene By Gene for Colours and The Outsider it would easily be flawless.

It’s so weird but captivating and melodic; it’s a journey.

Agree with the point made that many of the songs would still sound fresh if released today, and I think that is testament to the album’s quality

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Dec 2017, 01:51

Whole album is fantastic

But its also the only album in my top 100 albums I would give a 4.5/5 too and not a 5/5, even though I usually place it around #50

Crazy Beat is the reason for that but, y'know what, I still like it a lot

Ambulance is the best record of the 21st century

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 25 Dec 2017, 00:13

crazy beat kinda blows but the rest of the song rules so it balances out
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 25 Dec 2017, 08:37

Daysleeper wrote:I disagree, I think it is a really poor album.

I think it is badly produced- I really didn't like Hillier's production the album feels so sterile. Songs like Ambulance and Good song sounded so much better live.

Damon's lyrics are dire and half the songs sound unfinished.

Also it has the two previously mentioned songs on it (Crazy beat and Gene by Gene) which I just can't stand. My 2 least favourite Blur songs.

It's the album I listen to the least. Out of time is a classic. I really enjoy Ambulance, Good song, Caravan, Sweet song. I enjoy the vocal part of On the way to the Club but then we get one of the dullest musical outros ever. But the rest of the album I can live without. Even a song like Battery in your leg annoys me- Graham's guitar on it is brilliant, but Damon's lyrics are so weak, I just don't get any feeling from it. It builds to an unjustifiable epic ending if you know what I mean?

It had potential, but Graham was sorely missed.
It's interesting because Think Tank is one of those albums you listen to after a time out and love, and suddenly it's listen six or seven of the last day or two and you're struggling to get through it and remember why it was disregarded. It's not an underdog nor is it a missed classic. I like the idea of it (the emphasis on percussion, the way or lets groove and bass shine over say songwriting or the feelings a guitar gave) but ultimately there's too much missing for it to be a good album. Pavement's Terror Twilight is a great example – the name, the sound is of a band knowing its about to end before they do themselves and it has some of their finest songs, a strange and distinct but opulent melancholy but there are too many filler songs and songs out of that 'feel' that let it down.

Ambulance is an amazing song but yes, maybe it is a little too flat on the recording, and I like the outro they did live.

Out of Time is one of Damon's finest arrangements, riffs, and songs in general – it nails a specific vibe which is pretty amazing.

On The Way to the Club has a great first minute but much like the album, pretty soon in the idea of it wanes before it ends. The songwriting was quite awful and lazy in the end and I don't think he knew what to do aside from add some sounds... sounds like a song you'd like, finish, and be happy with but wouldn't re-evaluate before putting it on the album (which is a major flaw of Damon say post-2007).

It's a decent album, one for the fans or people just trying to get into the band, but it's also better than it should have been and somehow not as good as it could have.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 25 Dec 2017, 16:08

On The Way to the Club is perfect tho.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners