Ode to Idaho

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Forever Low Man

Ode to Idaho

Post by Forever Low Man » 01 Oct 2017, 16:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LWO3p5W6rY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thoughts?
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

metalhipslop

Re: Ode to Idaho

Post by metalhipslop » 01 Oct 2017, 17:08

love it. hope they release a studio version soon

the slide guitar or what ever jeff wooten is doing kind of ruins it a bit though. but i love damon's vocal melody
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

bugman

Post by bugman » 01 Oct 2017, 17:32

New direction after humanz. Folk music?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 01 Oct 2017, 17:57

This song has made me very very very excited for the new album. No iPad here, just acoustic stuff.

If Damon wrote this just two days ago, how soon do you think he'll have enough material ready for an album? Perhaps December again?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Oct 2017, 02:20

Terrible slide guitar ruins it for me. If you’re going to attempt to play slide on stage it needs serious practice and work to be able to pull it off successfully. Sadly Wootton is incapable and embarrasses himself as a result.

As far as the song goes it doesn’t sound like Gorillaz. However it could fit on a second Damon solo album. Just not Gorillaz. Lacks a lot. Two days you say? Back to the drawing board Damon. Weak.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 02 Oct 2017, 03:17

Quite good. A bit flat but there's a beautiful melody in places. It could evolve into a really good song, if they get the studio version right.

It also reminds me a bit of a Blur b-side from 1996 - an era when the party died down. That being said, hopefully the iPad has already been thrown out of the hotel window and some real instruments brought in! :P

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 02 Oct 2017, 08:06

Veikko wrote:Quite good. A bit flat but there's a beautiful melody in places. It could evolve into a really good song, if they get the studio version right.

It also reminds me a bit of a Blur b-side from 1996 - an era when the party died down. That being said, hopefully the iPad has already been thrown out of the hotel window and some real instruments brought in! :P
I would assume with the consistent name dropping of iPad since since Feel Good was used for the iPod ad that Gorillaz have a fairly lucrative deal with Apple. Naturally this may have ended, but I suspect you'll be hearing lots about the latest IOS or iPhone X or whatever should a new album drop.

With regards the song itself, I liked it, was quite plain, but that's no bad thing in my book. Can understand why people think it doesn't sound like typical Gorillaz though, certainly feels more like a late 90's Blur b-side as someone else has already mentioned.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 02 Oct 2017, 08:16

The first listen was surprising, WTF? a bit, but now I really like the song. I don't have a problem with it being a Gorillaz song.

Another nice video recording is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v40h6bDnOpM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And this one starts with Damon's introduction about the origin of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE-aEBVeV6k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Oct 2017, 14:36

I want to hear the song with a guitarist capable of playing basic slide guitar, which Wootten isn't.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 02 Oct 2017, 21:29

i thought the slide was fine. kept the song from being stagnant i think.

did it? i dont remember. havent listened to Ode in a while.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 06 Oct 2017, 08:14

Yesterday (Los Angeles gig) --> https://www.reddit.com/r/gorillaz/comme ... rum_10517/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 06 Oct 2017, 16:06

Cannot wait to get a studio version of this.

Wonder when Damon will debut another new song? Would love if it were at Austin City Limits so we could have a quality video of it.