GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

stephen

Re: Damon planning a new Gorillaz album

Post by stephen » 21 Mar 2018, 16:13

Hard to tell what it's going to be like as a song from that quality.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 21 Mar 2018, 19:53

So rumor has it that Damon said the album COULD come out this week (for his bday on Friday, perhaps?), that he has said 2D is on every track, and Hollywood is the ONLY one with collaborators, and that it’s “much better than Humanz”… again, this is just reportedly what he told Chilean fans, but… HYPE

JordanPowers

Post by JordanPowers » 21 Mar 2018, 22:23

I'm not too sure about release dates, but I know other things about the record, and I won't say who told me, but I was told exactly that by a good friend of Gorillaz, weeks before Damon confirmed it at the show last night. The very first thing the person told me was that it was much better than Humanz, and it was 95% 2D's album, and that it had the least amount of collaborations on any Gorillaz album. The only track with a collaboration are Hollywood, and one other possible collaboration with someone else (who I will not name).

A few other fairly interesting things happening this phase that I won't say. Just expect to be surprised by something fairly big that's coming to the lore.
Last edited by JordanPowers on 23 Mar 2018, 13:35, edited 7 times in total.
TripleJay97 wrote:
Westway wrote:this should be in the blur section
You should be off the Blur forum

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 21 Mar 2018, 22:34

Oooh a 95% 2D record would be nice!

maffed

Post by maffed » 22 Mar 2018, 10:02

Wow, thanks for the amazing info!!! :)
Last edited by maffed on 23 Mar 2018, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Sugar Plum Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy

daii

Post by daii » 22 Mar 2018, 12:43

great info Jordan!! I'm glad it has a soul-funk vibe, damon's voice fits so well these kind of songs (ghost ship, go back, etc)

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 22 Mar 2018, 12:51

I'm also very excited by your news Jordan and so curious... These titles: Hollywood, Ode to Idaho, now Kansas - will we get an album about the US?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 22 Mar 2018, 18:19

I will be waiting ever so excitedly for tomorrow... woo! Jamie has posted quite a few sketches that look like storyboards over the past couple of months. I'm hoping we'll get a video tomorrow with the single!

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 22 Mar 2018, 21:48

Somewhat conflicted on this tbh.

I actually enjoyed Humanz and thought it was a good album - not Damon's absolute finest, but pretty bloody good as a whole. That said I've not been particularly impressed by Idaho, Hollywood, Garage Palace or the other one that was Damon on a piano earlier in the Humanz promotion. By the same token, I was far from impressed with Hallelujah Money and 2 of the other 4 early Humanz releases, but they worked in the context of the album as a whole.

Lot of dithering uncertainties there obviously, but at this stage i'm somewhat ambivalent about another Gorillaz project. That said I am very excited for new TGTBTQ and I guess that'll open up the Blur question for 2019/20 - although it does seem they are not an active consideration for Damon

stephen

Post by stephen » 22 Mar 2018, 22:21

A 95% damon albarn gorillaz album sounds crazy...first thought is of the fall album but obviously this sounds more polished.

I'll try not to be too critical because I'm not the biggest fan of Humanz even though there's a few tracks on there that have grown on me.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Mar 2018, 15:03

95% 2D? That's my kind of Gorillaz album. Really excited for this now, I just hope it's better musically than The Fall.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 23 Mar 2018, 17:19

Apparently he’s claimed it’s not at all similar to The Fall, but a full fledged album. Denholm said on instagram it was a fully new phase. And apparently it’ll have actual instruments on it, which I guess is why we saw the live band going into the studio last month at 13. I wonder if we’ll be getting anything by the end of the day… I hope!!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Mar 2018, 18:21

A fully fledged album with more REAL instruments? I'm liking the sound of that.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 23 Mar 2018, 21:28

Just hope the people who said Humanz was abs amazing when it obv wasn't will have a more clear head this time, hopefully it is actually better than a 4/10 this time!

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 25 Mar 2018, 16:45

i want a gorillaz album with some rock not cock
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.