GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

jonathas

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by jonathas » 02 Jul 2018, 09:12

I think it's a lovely record. Really super. Humility and Lake Zurich are on constant rotation already. Thanks Damon!

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 02 Jul 2018, 17:10

Veikko wrote:
Rubi wrote:
Veikko wrote:Souk Eye 7/10 - Nice vocal melody, but the arrangement plays it 'too safe'.
What's that supposed to mean?
It feels a tad bit repetitive and generic - something that I've heard before. The ending of the song reminds me of "The Time Is Now" by Moloko.
https://youtu.be/-GY9DWIfpwc?t=3m1s
I think the arrangement follows a formula which makes it a winner. Take Magic City. It starts great, but because Damon doesn't "play it too safe", the song loses its momentum and it doesn't go anywhere.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 02 Jul 2018, 18:01

It's #4 in the Monday 'midweek' album chart with sales of 11,400.
As I don't think any of the songs are getting much airplay, it's unlikely to get beyond the 15,000-20,000 bracket by the end of the week.
I think Humanz shifted a little over 30,000? Guess the 7 year wait partly explained those sales, as there was v little airplay for that one either.
There's a chance it could make #3 (currently 11,600) but no chance of catching up #1 or 2 (over 29,000). George Ezra's at 5 but might well overtake.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 02 Jul 2018, 20:01

I guess Gorillaz are not mainstream anymore. But it's to be expected given the lack of hits. Clint Eastwood, Feel Good Inc. and DARE elevated the first two albums in terms of radio play.

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 02 Jul 2018, 20:11

Rubi wrote:I guess Gorillaz are not mainstream anymore. But it's to be expected given the lack of hits. Clint Eastwood, Feel Good Inc. and DARE elevated the first two albums in terms of radio play.
Better singles, better albums, better promotion and fresher ideas. Not rocket science to explain that away.

EDIT: Would also add that Clint Eastwood was far from a guaranteed mainstream commercial success on release, hadn't been anything like that before in the charts

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 02 Jul 2018, 21:51

dougharrison wrote:EDIT: Would also add that Clint Eastwood was far from a guaranteed mainstream commercial success on release, hadn't been anything like that before in the charts
You can't beat that melody, that chorus and those fantastic rap verses. For me it's the true definition of a masterpiece.

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 02 Jul 2018, 22:04

You can't beat that melody, that chorus and those fantastic rap verses. For me it's the true definition of a masterpiece
My memory though, was that the remix was what got the radio play. Same with 19-2000 - the remix was the things everybody knew.

I always felt that anybody buying the album based on those 2 tracks, might have been in for a bit of a surprise...

dougharrison

Post by dougharrison » 02 Jul 2018, 22:22

Rubi wrote:
You can't beat that melody, that chorus and those fantastic rap verses. For me it's the true definition of a masterpiece.
Indeed, fantastic song no matter how you look at it.

jeffnottingham wrote:
My memory though, was that the remix was what got the radio play. Same with 19-2000 - the remix was the things everybody knew.

I always felt that anybody buying the album based on those 2 tracks, might have been in for a bit of a surprise...
Indeed the remix got the vast majority of the radio airtime, i felt that the remix was the slightly more accessible entry point for a young/pop audience

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 02 Jul 2018, 22:41

That’s strange. Where I live the studio versions are the most well known for, and what they played on the radio and on TV at the time.

I had never heard of the Clint Eastwood remix until I bought the album. But I knew the 19/2000 remix from the FIFA game.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 Jul 2018, 00:21

Rubi wrote:I guess Gorillaz are not mainstream anymore. But it's to be expected given the lack of hits. Clint Eastwood, Feel Good Inc. and DARE elevated the first two albums in terms of radio play.
They still are (I remember Humility raking in millions of views in at least its first day), but let's not kid ourselves: they're never going to be as big as they were in 2005, and I don't necessarily think it's their fault.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 03 Jul 2018, 06:55

A Not Not from me, not plastered in rap was great at first...but its dull and meandering, lack of big tunes and forgettable.

Hopefully Damon is BACK for the Good The Bad...

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 03 Jul 2018, 07:06

Kansas is the one I am humming along to the most at the moment, a grower and very catchy.

John_d

Post by John_d » 03 Jul 2018, 14:31

dougharrison wrote:
Rubi wrote:

jeffnottingham wrote:

Indeed the remix got the vast majority of the radio airtime, i felt that the remix was the slightly more accessible entry point for a young/pop audience
Radio 1 in the UK played the garage "refit" of Clint Eastwood to death. I don't recall the oriignal getting much airplay at all. The remix of 19/2000 got a fair amount of commercial radio play. I recall being amused at the time that the originals weren't deemed suitable for daytime radio. Demon Days did have hit singles played on the radio (no remixes required) - it's quite an anomaly in that sense.

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 03 Jul 2018, 14:46

John_d wrote:
dougharrison wrote:
Rubi wrote:

jeffnottingham wrote:

Radio 1 in the UK played the garage "refit" of Clint Eastwood to death. I don't recall the oriignal getting much airplay at all. The remix of 19/2000 got a fair amount of commercial radio play. I recall being amused at the time that the originals weren't deemed suitable for daytime radio. Demon Days did have hit singles played on the radio (no remixes required) - it's quite an anomaly in that sense.
I always figure that the success of the remixes from Phase One, partially informed how Damon approached Phase Two. Especially Dare and Dirty Harry.

But note I'm saying 'partially' - I think just the love of the collaboration, and being free to do whatever he wanted to musically, also led the masterpiece that is DD.

Feel Good Inc is pretty unbeatable as a world dominating, but pretty complex, pop song. I'll always remember flying to Brazil in 2005, first time I'd been outside Europe, early hours entering a packed Japanese night club (yes in Brazil) feeling bleary eyed on no sleep just off the plane, and suffering in the heat. First thing I hear is Damon - and there's 2D on the big screen, Feel Good Inc with the whole place going crazy for it. A truly international, distance obliterating moment :)

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 03 Jul 2018, 16:50

http://thenownow.tv got updated.