GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

northernmonkey

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by northernmonkey » 29 Jun 2018, 13:00

I've got the CD, some nice artwork on booklet and on the actual CD, much nicer and more Gorillaz than Humanz's artwork.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 29 Jun 2018, 13:21

My problem with the studio version of Tranz is Damon's vocal. The live versions have him singing in a nice deep vocal which suits the song a lot. In the studio version he has a higher pitched vocal. I still like the song, but prefer the live version a lot more.

I purchased the album on itunes, and got it on my phone , but for some reason it's not downloading all of the songs on my computer. I ordered the vinyl and got the cd with the purchase of my concert ticket. I hope both arrive in the mail today.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Jun 2018, 15:38

The album is very very good. Very much a modern day successor to the debut album in my opinion in terms of Damon singing and an almost back to basics sound. I love having Damon finally stepping forward again and taking control of the vocals with minimal guests. So much better than Humanz too. What an album.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

JackS

Post by JackS » 29 Jun 2018, 19:52

Holy shit this album is good. I managed to avoid everything except Humility and Lake Zurich before release. There are some absolutely top tier tracks on here which are up there with the best Damon has ever done. For an album done in such a short period of time, I am completely floored. Love it

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 29 Jun 2018, 20:17

I still really love One Percent, so so emotional, just wish it lasted a tad more. I sat in my inflatable pool tonight with my wife and daughter with a Malibu and coke and the new album playing in the background as the sun beat down on me...pure heaven :D

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 29 Jun 2018, 21:58

tom_cas1 wrote:The album is very very good. Very much a modern day successor to the debut album in my opinion in terms of Damon singing and an almost back to basics sound. I love having Damon finally stepping forward again and taking control of the vocals with minimal guests. So much better than Humanz too. What an album.
Honestly, that hit the nail on the head. It really does sound like a successor to the s/t. It has a bit of what Demon Days has but more of what s/t has. It's like it shows what would come with Demon Days
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

rich

Post by rich » 29 Jun 2018, 22:30

Finally listening to the download - very impressed...
The upbeat stuff is very Hall & Oats isn't it :)
Remind me - which track is Graham on?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 29 Jun 2018, 23:15

rich wrote:Finally listening to the download - very impressed...
The upbeat stuff is very Hall & Oats isn't it :)
Remind me - which track is Graham on?
Magic City.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 30 Jun 2018, 00:27

the now now is like the fall but more fleshed out and with beautiful melodies

ergo, best gorillaz album

bar fucking none
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 30 Jun 2018, 06:42

The studio version of Tranz has really grown on me compared to the first couple of listens, really rate this now.

munch

Post by munch » 30 Jun 2018, 15:30

My review:

Album is full of great tracks. It seems to dive from classic Gorillaz sound (Trans, Sorcererz, Hollywood etc) to Everyday Robots (One Percent, Fire flies) and even Blur! (Magic City and Kansas.

So really this should be the best thing i've heard since Think Tank in full.

But what really lets it down is the sheer amount of radio effects and echos on Damons voice. On SO many songs. Sometimes its bearable and fits the style but on every single song?
Kansas is really let down by the distancey echoy damon. That song sounds so gooood. i want it with clear vocals (and not a live version)

Saying that my favourites are

Fire Flies
Souk Eye
Magic City
Kansas
Lake Zurich

No particular order.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

stephen

Post by stephen » 30 Jun 2018, 16:46

Do you think there's a possibility that this is a reverse of a damon albarn album in the fact that the few listens are pretty disappointing but the more you listen to the songs the better they become?

I've listened to the now now about 4-5 times now and it's starting to get a little tiring already. I still think it's one hell of a turn around to bring out another album so quickly.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

UnderThePuritan

Post by UnderThePuritan » 30 Jun 2018, 16:58

First of all, this album is great! I can't remember who said it but I definitely agree that this is his best and most cohesive record since TGTBATQ.

This album gives me strong Blur vibes. I could easily imagine Kansas, Idaho, Magic City, One Percent and Souk Eye restructured as latter-day Blur tunes. Does anyone else think this as well?

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 30 Jun 2018, 17:02

I get a Blur vibe too, Kansas and Magic City I could imagine as Blur songs.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 30 Jun 2018, 18:05

munch wrote:But what really lets it down is the sheer amount of radio effects and echos on Damons voice. On SO many songs. Sometimes its bearable and fits the style but on every single song?
Kansas is really let down by the distancey echoy damon. That song sounds so gooood. i want it with clear vocals (and not a live version).
I find it very soothing. And besides, on some songs it's less prominent than in others.