GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

tom_cas1

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 30 Sep 2017, 11:55

I think Gorillaz need a complete overhaul moving forward if the concept is to continue successfully. The whole thrill of the band in the early days right up to Demon Days was the albums and knowing that when they did play shows it was a totally unique experience of either holograms at award shows or playing in shadows like in Manchester. Totally unique. Plastic Beach came along and the live show changed to just a regular band and the cartoons became less important. And that’s continued with this album. I can’t imagine Damon throwing himself around the stage playing Gorillaz songs as he gets older. I think if Gorillaz are to be successful in the future they need to go back to albums first and the unique show experience like in Manchester, 2005.

And yes, Cass Browne needs to return. Does anyone know why he left/wasn’t included in this phase?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 30 Sep 2017, 21:09

Cass has been touring with Penguin Cafe Orchestra, but I'd be surprised if that's the only reason he's not been involved this phase. Gotta be something more to it.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 01 Oct 2017, 01:20

Apparently they played a new song during soundcheck of the Seattle show tonight.. :shock:
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Veikko
Site Admin

Re: Damon planning a new Gorillaz album

Post by Veikko » 01 Oct 2017, 02:49

Let's hope they'll play it tonight!

Fans who heard it at the soundcheck describe it as a country song "about Idaho":
https://www.reddit.com/r/gorillaz/comme ... s_about_2/

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 01 Oct 2017, 07:16

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 01 Oct 2017, 15:34

Doesn’t sound like Gorillaz at all. That and Jeff Wootton on slide guitar butchers it. Does he having hearing issues? Because he’s totally out of tune there.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 01 Oct 2017, 17:55

I think that song is so lovely. Damon apparently cranked it out 2 days ago whilst staying at Bruce Willis' Idaho ski resort. If Damon continues writing songs like these, I'll be very very happy with the new album!

stephen

Post by stephen » 02 Oct 2017, 08:33

tom_cas1 wrote:I think Gorillaz need a complete overhaul moving forward if the concept is to continue successfully. The whole thrill of the band in the early days right up to Demon Days was the albums and knowing that when they did play shows it was a totally unique experience of either holograms at award shows or playing in shadows like in Manchester. Totally unique. Plastic Beach came along and the live show changed to just a regular band and the cartoons became less important. And that’s continued with this album. I can’t imagine Damon throwing himself around the stage playing Gorillaz songs as he gets older. I think if Gorillaz are to be successful in the future they need to go back to albums first and the unique show experience like in Manchester, 2005.

And yes, Cass Browne needs to return. Does anyone know why he left/wasn’t included in this phase?
Wow I actually agree with everything you said.

Having said that I'm very meh about another new album.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 14 Oct 2017, 12:06

Yesterday in Miami:

Halfway through his set, Damon Albarn started musing about his time in Miami so far.

"I'm recording new music, and I record in every city. I'm staying at a hotel on the beach," he told the crowd gathered at the Main Frame stage Friday night at III Points. "It's a corner room with a balcony and a great vista. All day I've seen planes with banners pass by: Puff Daddy, Steve Aoki, Magic City, some bollocks vodka. Just so you know where the inspiration for the lyrics on the next album came from".

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 14 Oct 2017, 15:59

This better be good and make up for Humanz disappointments, especially as it looks like it's going to put the new TGTB&TQ album on hold.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 14 Oct 2017, 19:45

tom_cas1 wrote:This better be good and make up for Humanz disappointments, especially as it looks like it's going to put the new TGTB&TQ album on hold.
and if it doesn't?
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 14 Oct 2017, 20:02

Looking forward to hearing another Gorillaz album so soon. But was hoping for a TGTB&TQ part 2 next year too. I can hold out until 2019....
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 15 Oct 2017, 03:29

I really like Ode to Idaho, so my hopes are high. Anyone see the guy on reddit say that, at the LA soundcheck, they played a new song with Jamie Principles that sounded like "a mix between Sex Murder Party and Sleeping Powder"?

edit: bugman mentioned it in another thread, hadn't read it yet!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 03 Dec 2017, 11:56

During a masterclass Damon did a few days ago at LIPA Liverpool he said again that he’d been recording the next Gorillaz album on the road, with Snoop Dogg among others [source: reddit]

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 03 Dec 2017, 14:26

Sweet Jesus Holy Christ...save us! :lol: