GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

northernmonkey

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by northernmonkey » 25 Jun 2018, 10:05

After a few listens, I am loving this album, not a traditional Gorillaz album at all (other than Hollywood which is great) and hearing Gorillaz/Blur/TGTBATQ in these songs. My current favourite is One Percent, such an epic song both live and the studio verion. Same goes for Idaho and still loving Magic City.

My song ratings would be,

Humility 8/10
Tranz 7/10
Hollywood 8/10
Kansas 8/10
Sorcerez 6/10
Idaho 9/10
Lake Zurich 8/10
Magic City 9/10
Fire Flies 8/10
One Percent 9/10
Souk Eye 8/10

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 25 Jun 2018, 11:12

I’m bummed to hear that the studio version of Tranz is not as good as the live version as I really liked the live version. I’ll wait until Friday to hear the rest of the album. I’ve waited this long I can wait a few more days

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 25 Jun 2018, 12:16

I still rate Tranz, still a cool song and the gulf between the studio and live version isn't as much as something like I Broadcast off TMW.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 25 Jun 2018, 18:02

Forever Low Man wrote:#2 is s/t

then again, there's a whole lot wrong in your world
I can't take Sledge Hammer seriously given how biased his opinions usually are, but this time he's right. Saying The Fall is Gorillaz's best album is just laughable.
northernmonkey wrote:After a few listens, I am loving this album, not a traditional Gorillaz album at all (other than Hollywood which is great) and hearing Gorillaz/Blur/TGTBATQ in these songs. My current favourite is One Percent, such an epic song both live and the studio verion. Same goes for Idaho and still loving Magic City.

My song ratings would be,

Humility 8/10
Tranz 7/10
Hollywood 8/10
Kansas 8/10
Sorcerez 6/10
Idaho 9/10
Lake Zurich 8/10
Magic City 9/10
Fire Flies 8/10
One Percent 9/10
Souk Eye 8/10
It has grown a lot on me as well. All songs are good. Not very keen on One Percent, for me it's by far the weakest track on the album. I'd say the top five songs for me would be Hollywood, Sorcererz, Tranz, Humility and Souk Eye.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 Jun 2018, 06:34

MrMagpie wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:Pre-ordered...really looking forward to this one, especially after how lousy Humanz was (at least in my opinion)
'Humanz' wasn't memorable, to my ears. Maybe more experimental than commercial.

And maybe that is why another Gorillaz album is coming so soon after. Looking forward to hearing it :mrgreen:
That's kind of what I've been thinking. Almost a form of damage control? *shrug*

I didn't even think Humanz was that experimental. It just wasn't very good.
It wasn't an invigorating listen. Recent albums by the Gallagher brothers, Black Grape and Shed Seven got going, whereas 'Humanz' didn't.
Rubi wrote:The best thing about The Now Now is that it sound like a true Gorillaz album. It's reminiscent of the self-titled in that sense, a couple of guest appearances but it's mostly a Damon experimental record. And that's what Gorillaz should be about. Humanz had no identity. It was like a compilation album of various artists.
I like the sound of that.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

stephen

Post by stephen » 26 Jun 2018, 10:32

Does anyone else think it's got a hit of think tank in it?

Just listened to the live performance they did of the full album and really impressed. Looking forward to seeing them next week.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 26 Jun 2018, 10:50

What I watched/heard live I really liked. Looking forward to Friday to listen to the album in full.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 27 Jun 2018, 18:40

Amazing album, much better than Humanz. Probably the most consistent album Damon released since TGTBTQ, in my opinion.

Can’t wait to get hands on the vinyl Friday
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 27 Jun 2018, 20:26

One of the things I like about it, is the production. After Damon’s solo album and Humanz And to a lesser extent in places TMW I thought the studio versions would suffer, but the majority of this album lives up to the live versions. Songs like Idaho, Magic City and Souk Eye in particular come close to matching the wow of their debut and it is so nice to hear some instruments again :)

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 27 Jun 2018, 21:06

For sure. The bass is probably one of the many reasons I love these songs.. Kansas is probably my favourite bassline since O Green World in terms of heaviness.There hasn't been real proper heavy prominent bass in Gorillaz since Demon Days. and the addition of a new cartoon bass player makes it even more cool. The bass is Ace! The reggae bass on Sorcererz man, just great.
Plastic Beach had had a couple basslines by Paul Simonon but it wasn't as prominent as it is on The Now Now. and the Humanz was a lot of thin synthesized bass (not undermining Saturnz Barz which has a killer bassline with the beat). The way they mix synthesizer bass with real bass guitar makes it sound really full and powerful

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 27 Jun 2018, 21:28

Having said all that about bass heavy stuff... Idaho is number 1 track for me at the moment followed closely by One Percent and Souk Eye but they are all very good why do I bother

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 28 Jun 2018, 00:58

metalhipslop wrote:Amazing album, much better than Humanz. Probably the most consistent album Damon released since TGTBTQ, in my opinion.
I hadn't considered that, but I believe I agree. The Now Now is just SO good imo. There were a few songs from TMW that were forgettable for me. I Broadcast, There Are Too Many Of Us, Thought I Was A Spaceman (never liked this one despite the hype, I dunno.) The Now Now has no tracks that I skip. Of course it's still early -- the album isn't even officially released yet! But my least favorite songs on the album are songs I still feel are good songs. Fire Flies is my least favorite, but I don't feel like skipping it. I ranked One Percent as my next to least favorite, but it's growing on me more everyday. The Now Now is a great little record that could easily have never happened, at least not in such a fully formed way. It's giving me a sort of summer bliss that I haven't felt from an album since TMW.

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 28 Jun 2018, 10:30

So, what are folks' ideal 2D led album from Humanz and TNN combined? For me:

Humility
Sleeping Powder
Tranz (I hope someone remixes this primarily to make it longer)
Busted and Blue
Saturnz Barz
She's my Collar
Fireflies
Hollywood
Idaho (live from Tokyo Boiler Rooms)
Socererz
Charger
Magic City
Andromeda (Rock Am Ring live extended)
Ticker Tape
Souk Eye
We Got the power (Live at London Print works)

(Bonus track: Hallelujah Money)

Pretty awesome album I'd say . We've been spoiled.
Last edited by jeffnottingham on 28 Jun 2018, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

rich

Post by rich » 28 Jun 2018, 13:06

metalhipslop wrote:For sure. The bass is probably one of the many reasons I love these songs.. Kansas is probably my favourite bassline since O Green World in terms of heaviness.There hasn't been real proper heavy prominent bass in Gorillaz since Demon Days. and the addition of a new cartoon bass player makes it even more cool. The bass is Ace! The reggae bass on Sorcererz man, just great.
Plastic Beach had had a couple basslines by Paul Simonon but it wasn't as prominent as it is on The Now Now. and the Humanz was a lot of thin synthesized bass (not undermining Saturnz Barz which has a killer bassline with the beat). The way they mix synthesizer bass with real bass guitar makes it sound really full and powerful
I get what you mean about basslines - Graham's base on My Terracotta Heart (sorry Alex) is the best thing about TMW...

And Laika/Spacemonkeyz is actually my favourite Gorillaz album - lots of dubby bass all over it :)
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405

rich

Post by rich » 29 Jun 2018, 11:58

My deluxe box set pack thing has arrived at home but I'm out getting the car fixed...

Won't be back until 6...

Anyone got their hands on anything physical yet?
I put me trousers on, have a cup of tea, and think about leaving the house...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405