GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

bugman

Re: GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Post by bugman » 22 Jun 2018, 21:16

Rubi wrote:
bugman wrote:album leaked!
Where?
i dont know if i can put here download link

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 22 Jun 2018, 22:11

No matter, found it.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 22 Jun 2018, 22:22

Just finished listening. First impression? All of the five released songs are actually the highlights. It's a very minimalist record, like The Fall. But at least unlike The Fall it's properly produced and can be considered a full-fledged album.

Need to give it a few more listens, obviously, but for the time being I still prefer Humanz to it.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Jun 2018, 22:25

Rubi wrote:Just finished listening. First impression? All of the five released songs are actually the highlights. It's a very minimalist record, like The Fall. But at least unlike The Fall it's properly produced and can be considered a full-fledged album.

Need to give it a few more listens, obviously, but for the time being I still prefer Humanz to it.
Well that’s not good.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

jeffnottingham

Post by jeffnottingham » 22 Jun 2018, 22:47

Rubi wrote:
Just finished listening. First impression? All of the five released songs are actually the highlights. It's a very minimalist record, like The Fall. But at least unlike The Fall it's properly produced and can be considered a full-fledged album.

What about Tranz? Magic City?

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 22 Jun 2018, 23:29

tom_cas1 wrote:
Rubi wrote:Just finished listening. First impression? All of the five released songs are actually the highlights. It's a very minimalist record, like The Fall. But at least unlike The Fall it's properly produced and can be considered a full-fledged album.

Well that’s not good.
Actually it's great because The Fall is their best album.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

bugman

Post by bugman » 22 Jun 2018, 23:51

Tranz sings 2d not damon

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 23 Jun 2018, 05:18

For me, the first 5 songs aren’t the best that the album has to offer. I think Idaho is simply gorgeous. It sounds so much better than the cruder, earlier live versions. It may be my favorite from the album. But Magic City may be as well. Unlike Tranz, where I feel it’s better live, Magic City’s studio version is just as good if not better. Souk Eye sounds just as I’d hoped it would, lovely song. If I had to make a rough ranking at the moment, based solely on the studio versions, it would be something like this:

1. Idaho/Magic City
3. Humility
4. Souk Eye
5. Sorcererz
6. Kansas
7. Lake Zurich
8. Tranz
9. Hollywood
10. One Percent
11. Fire Flies

I feel like One Percent may be one that grows on me, however. I do like Fire Flies, but it’s the most forgettable one for me, despite its popularity amongst Gorillaz fans.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 23 Jun 2018, 06:14

Forever Low Man wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:

Well that’s not good.
Actually it's great because The Fall is their best album.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...and Humanz is a close runner up in your world.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

daii

Post by daii » 23 Jun 2018, 10:44

My top five

- Souk Eye (it's like the new Hong Kong to me)
- Fire Flies
- Humility
- Magic city (i hope it gets a full animated video)
- Kansas

I feel sorry about "tranz". The live version is so much better. It happens a lot with damon, maybe he should rehearsal the songs before finishing the record lol

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Jun 2018, 14:13

I don't get the hype around Magic City. The song suffers from serious structural issues. It starts good, very nice verse, but then it just doesn't seem to go anywhere. It loses the initial momentum and becomes very boring.

Hollywood is by far the best track. It's got everything. Catchy chorus in trademark 2-D voice, groovy beats, top rap section by Snoop Dog. Should have had a proper music video.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 Jun 2018, 17:40

daii wrote:I feel sorry about "tranz". The live version is so much better. It happens a lot with damon, maybe he should rehearsal the songs before finishing the record lol
I get what you mean. Whilst Tranz has grown a lot on me and might just be my new favorite track, it suffers from the "Pyongyang syndrome", i.e. the live version is an entirely different beast. It has so much energy. Still, I think the studio version is quite good as well in its own way.

The best thing about The Now Now is that it sound like a true Gorillaz album. It's reminiscent of the self-titled in that sense, a couple of guest appearances but it's mostly a Damon experimental record. And that's what Gorillaz should be about. Humanz had no identity. It was like a compilation album of various artists.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 24 Jun 2018, 08:06

Oh bugger, not been on all weekend and it seems i’m too late for the leak as it has been taken down, will have to wait until Friday after all :(

daii

Post by daii » 24 Jun 2018, 22:11

One percent is beautiful live.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 25 Jun 2018, 00:04

Sledge Hammer wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...and Humanz is a close runner up in your world.

#2 is s/t

then again, there's a whole lot wrong in your world
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners