GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

GORILLAZ: The Now Now Album Thread

Postby metalhipslop » 27 Sep 2017, 17:33

Apparantly they are planning a new record..

While the band are currently on a world tour in support of their acclaimed 2017 album ‘Humanz‘, Albarn is already planning out their next record. In December 2010, Gorillaz fourth album ‘The Fall‘ was released with just five days notice as a free download. Now, it looks like they could catch their fans off guard once again.

“I really like the idea of making new music and playing it live almost simultaneously,” Albarn told Q. “It will be a more complete record than ‘The Fall’, but hopefully have that spontaneity.”

“We’ve been discussing ideas for a new kind of live show,” he continued. “If we’re going to do more with Gorillaz we don’t want to wait seven years because, y’know, we’re getting on a bit now. We’re excited but we need to get these shows finished first. You never know what’s around the corner.”

He added: “My dream of being able to see holograms of real people onstage is close now. That was the idea at the beginning. We’ve been very patient and we don’t have that long left.”

Pretty happy to hear this. The fact that he want's to finish this tour then after do even more live shows is almost unbelievable but exciting. Kind of explains why he isn't dancing around like a maniac in the recent shows.

Update: See also these album-related discussion threads:
Gorillaz Tour 2017-2018
The Now Now official album reviews
The Now Now Damon interviews
The Now Now live recordings & interviews (downloads)
Ode to Idaho
Humanz Album Thread
- Veikko
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.
metalhipslop

Re: GORILLAZ: Humanz Album Thread

Postby tom_cas1 » 27 Sep 2017, 18:03

If a new album is in the same vein sound wise as Sleeping Powder then I'll be a happy man. That of course means more Damon on the tracks and less guest vocalists.

Unfortunately this could put the next TGTB&TQ album on hold though.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby Renny » 27 Sep 2017, 18:10

Mega exciting news !
Renny

Postby aldamasta » 27 Sep 2017, 21:43

Ooooo very glad to hear that! Yeah I assume there won't be as many guests since it's Damon on tour, but who knows. I'm excited for whatever! So we may have a new Gorillaz album, tour, AND TV show in the next year!
aldamasta

Postby Sledge Hammer » 27 Sep 2017, 21:50

:roll: :shock:
Sledge Hammer

Postby Mark72 » 27 Sep 2017, 22:22

Awesome news! Maybe it's a album or soundtrack to accompany the Gorillaz TV show next year.
Mark72

Postby lumaka » 27 Sep 2017, 22:30

Ohh, I want it.

Exact quote from Q goes:

He also plans to make an on-the-road album in the spirit of 2010’s The Fall, hooking up with producers and performers in different cities. “I really like the idea of making new music and playing it live almost simultaneously. It will be a more complete record than The Fall but hopefully have that spontaneity.”
lumaka

Postby metalhipslop » 28 Sep 2017, 03:43

lumaka wrote:hooking up with producers and performers in different cities.

Man, the excitement kind of went down for me after reading that...
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.
metalhipslop

Postby tom_cas1 » 28 Sep 2017, 15:31

I don't care about the TV show, I think it's a desperate attempt from Damon to show Jamie that the cartoons are still relevant, even though I don't think he cares about them anymore. A damn shame. But I'll take a Damon vocal driven Gorillaz album. Hopefully the cartoons are used the way they should be, in excellent music videos and promos.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby Mark72 » 28 Sep 2017, 19:25

tom_cas1 wrote:I don't care about the TV show, I think it's a desperate attempt from Damon to show Jamie that the cartoons are still relevant, even though I don't think he cares about them anymore. A damn shame. But I'll take a Damon vocal driven Gorillaz album. Hopefully the cartoons are used the way they should be, in excellent music videos and promos.

I dunno, I'd watch it if it was on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Agree on the Damon vocal driven album.
Mark72

Postby Forever Low Man » 28 Sep 2017, 22:04

Mark72 wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:I don't care about the TV show, I think it's a desperate attempt from Damon to show Jamie that the cartoons are still relevant, even though I don't think he cares about them anymore. A damn shame. But I'll take a Damon vocal driven Gorillaz album. Hopefully the cartoons are used the way they should be, in excellent music videos and promos.

I dunno, I'd watch it if it was on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Agree on the Damon vocal driven album.

I still think the show's home will be Adult Swim. It makes too much sense.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners
Forever Low Man

Postby tom_cas1 » 29 Sep 2017, 19:26

Does anyone know who will be broadcasting the Gorillaz TV show? I can't imagine it having much of an audience given how this album has 1) sold and 2) been promoted. Seems like an idea that should have happened between Demon Days and Plastic Beach while the Gorillaz hype was at an all time high. A high that will never be achieved again.
tom_cas1

Next

Return to Blur