Did The Magic Whip give you closure?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Did The Magic Whip give you closure?

Postby munch » 13 Sep 2017, 11:40

after years of nothing much from the band and no real graham comeback The Magic Whip was full of great tunes and happy times. But did you feel closure after such a big wait or are you still waiting for christ?

I got closure. Obviously, i really hope Blur join up again and make some really awesome experimental emotional stuff like Blur, 13 and Think Tank again but it's a great record with Graham all over it.

How do YOU feel? discuss :?:
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man
munch

Re: Did The Magic Whip give you closure?

Postby stephen » 13 Sep 2017, 12:11

What do you mean by closure? It came and went pretty quickly for me.

It was nice to hear some new music and the songs felt pretty complete this time, even if they are not the strongest the band have done. Kinda felt like the band still have something to give if they wanted to do it again, but if not then there's plenty of other music out there.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby tom_cas1 » 13 Sep 2017, 18:23

To be honest, looking back, Think Tank wasn't a bad closure. Before the reunion was announced in 2008 each of them had moved on to new things and seemed to be on their own courses. I was disappointed, but I was ok with it. We were getting great music from Gorillaz to Graham's solo stuff, to The Ailerons and even WigWam. If anything the reunion and The Magic Whip has started a brand new chapter for me, a chapter that feels nowhere near finished. I want more. I feel like they have more to give. I'd be more disappointed now more than ever if they decided that The Magic Whip was closure.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby 3d » 13 Sep 2017, 21:23

i wasn't sure how i felt about it at the time, in terms of how it fit with the previous albums, having listened to them so much over the years.. but like the other albums, it has that special place in me..

i don't think there has to be closure as such.. maybe now it's more like haitus on the back of a brighter note.. but yeah, if that was the last then it's a happier ending than tt..

i like the way the album was born.. out of chance, circumstances etc. and the whole process, i hope, healed wounds and renewed love for 4 brothers and mr street..

while it's not the most experimental or challenging album they've done, it is solid, beautiful and holds much depth emotionally.. way beneath the surface..

Pyongyang.. still wow and ong ong is still my ringtone ...

of course if they decide to make more music again there will always be open ears here x

i'd still be happy to see an online gig with interaction regarding setlist etc.. something like graham's recent gray guitar episodes.. maybe with them looking back.. chatting, play songs.. bits of songs.. that'd be nice
3d

Postby Forever Low Man » 14 Sep 2017, 00:44

it's not closure (partially because i do believe we will eventually hear more stuff from Blur) but it's safe to say the book is almost finished. i could see maybe one more album and one last big tour (which magic whip didn't get) and go out with a bang.

(the pun wasn't originally intended)
Forever Low Man

Postby northernmonkey » 14 Sep 2017, 14:06

Not totally sure about closure as such, as NWT doc gave the impression that Blur means a great deal to Damon still, but I do feel happier now as voiced by others the way the album came about is touching. For me I wanted a new album full of songs with Graham on them, we got that and although maybe not the best album... it is the most consistant in quality. I do feel Blur played it a little safe in some respects, but the songs are beautiful, especially the likes of MTH, Ghost Ship & Pyongyang. I still think as a four piece if you put them in a studio for a number of days they will come up with something pretty special each time.

I would love to hear an album full of heavy rock/punk songs if they did do something again, I still feel as a band they still have a lot of energy.
northernmonkey

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 15 Sep 2017, 06:49

If you are talking about a chart career, popular with the masses, then that ran from Leisure to Think Tank. In the wider 'Blur-world', it ran until Demon Days. I base this upon top ten placings in the singles chart.

Since then, albums by Gorillaz, Damon and Blur have all made number one, but the singles have made much less impression beyond the dedicated fanbase. Though this fits entirely with the artist going into middle-age.

Regarding Blur and its associated acts as a whole, I see no reason why any one of them can not continue to bring new music. They remain potent :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby Neal Zeal » 15 Sep 2017, 09:32

Mallard No. 22 wrote:If you are talking about a chart career, popular with the masses, then that ran from Leisure to Think Tank. In the wider 'Blur-world', it ran until Demon Days. I base this upon top ten placings in the singles chart.

A top 10 single is easy enough to work out but it's not a very good way of judging whether a group is popular with the masses. Radio airplay and album sales show whether an act is well liked (or at least known) beyond the immediate fan-base. The big Blur albums sold close to, or above, 1 million. Think Tank barely scraped 100,000 and although, technically, Out of Time went top 10 it flew out of the top 40 rapidly, sold a tiny fraction of the big Blur singles, and got very little radio airplay at the time or since. Morrissey had plenty of top 10 singles but virtually none that stuck around longer than a week or got played on the radio - his solo songs have never been popular with the masses.
Anyway back to the topic! Magic Whip was a hugely disappointing album for me. The other Blur albums have their relative merits but they all had at least three genuinely great songs - Magic Whip hasn't got one. So I hope they come back and do a proper album - not one made up from discarded demos (which I think was the case with TMW?).
Neal Zeal

Postby northernmonkey » 15 Sep 2017, 10:39

I can see there being more of a chance of another Blur album than that of a Gorillaz one. Not sure where it would go after Humanz, which I do like, but I think it has lost its identity, great songs but slapping on 2D style vocals on songs feels a little forced this time, Sleeping Powder being one of those songs, although catchy as hell as a tune. Demon Days for instance felt so natural with the whole cartoon band and songs fitting each other to the point, you kind of believed in the stories the songs and video's were telling.
northernmonkey

Postby dougharrison » 15 Sep 2017, 11:29

Originally put the second half of this in a different thread without realising I was replying to 2 threads rather than one.

Perhaps it's age creeping up on me, perhaps it's open-mindedness, perhaps its my relative lack of engagement with music over the past decade (certainly relative to the 15 years before it) I'm not really sure that closure exists or is needed. Rather than try to form a Blur narrative (and I get that one would help introduce new listeners to the band) I just think it's in a nice place and certainly far more so than since 13. It's a nice place in that if they collaboratively decide they want to then there is nothing stopping them getting together again and taking it in any direction they want. I mean that both creatively and commercially, if they wanted to do an annual Madness style thing "get the band back together one more time" to play Country House at Hyde Park, they are in a position they could do that (although personally I would hate it), if they wanted to launch an experimental alternative album they could do that, if they don't want to do anything together again they can also do that too, but perhaps if that were the case it wouldn't be with any acrimony on behalf of the members themselves, somewhat speculative, but it seems as though the friendship is genuinely rekindled and that it is something they should value more highly than making music together.

TMW is a wonderful album and in Pyongyang, TITWAS and There are Too Many of Us you have a trio of songs that would strengthen any Blur album (considered as disparate individual songs - I'm not suggesting that a switch of Turn it Up <-> TITWAS would improve MLIR as a listening experience from start to end). As a comeback or as a bookend/swan-song it kinda works in that it reflects vast swathes of their career and also explores some fresh territory too, if it were to be the final album it's a more fitting end to Blur as a group and musically than Think Tank (an album I love, but Graham's absence is very evident.)

As for charts - meh.

Deltron 3030 was the best 'non-white-indie/musical polymath project' Damon has been involved in {Yes it is better than Demon Days} and that tanked commercially. Couldn't care less when Blur were last considered commercially significant and really shouldn't be seen as a benchmark of their relevance any more than say Radiohead given they fairly deliberately eschewed populist music - Tender being the only successful single post-Song 2, based on huge sales or radio airplay. NB Coffee + TV missed the top 10 didn't get a huge amount of exposure on release, if memory serves correctly, but was something of a slow-burner in terms of airplay and TV/film placements.
dougharrison

Postby Styopa » 15 Sep 2017, 12:07

For me, there would have something neat and tidy if they had finished with 13. The end of the 90s, the end of Blur as a full time band, the end (as hindsight has shown) of a career defining run of albums and singles that is now widely accepted as the Blur cannon, their legacy. Blur were a part of the 90s in the same way The Smiths were a part of the 80s or The Beatles were a part of the 60s. They existed in that context and the OCD part of me would have been satisfied if that was where the story ends.

However, real life is messy. Often there is no closure or identifiable 'end'. Sometimes things just peter out. Sometimes we think we're at an end but we're not. Sometimes something big ends and we don't notice it until years later.

I don't see The Magic Whip as closure, rather I see it as a continuation of what they have been doing since the conclusion of their 90s heyday - Music Is My Radar, Think Tank, Hyde Park, Fool's Day, Under The Westway - strong and enjoyable work from a group of people who recognise that this band - this monster they created and now very much has a life of its own - is no longer their primary, ongoing concern in life but still has something to give. It's patchy, but in some ways I think it reflects the journey we are all on in life - none of us truly knows what lies ahead.
Styopa

Postby northernmonkey » 15 Sep 2017, 12:16

dougharrison wrote: NB Coffee + TV missed the top 10 didn't get a huge amount of exposure on release, if memory serves correctly, but was something of a slow-burner in terms of airplay and TV/film placements.

If my memory serves me correct, it would have charted a lot higher, but for some reason the music store 'Our Price' sales were not included in the weekly sales of the first week, which would have made a difference as they were on pretty much every high street, shame really because the band had got it right with the song and video.
northernmonkey

Next

Return to Blur