Mile End 4 track single/ep

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Mile End 4 track single/ep

Postby TracyJosh » 26 Jul 2017, 16:19

My friend who runs the local record store always gives me promo copies of Blur singles he gets in big batches of vinyls. Today I got a 4 track Mile End CD With Canary Wharf on the cover and stock exchange grids on the inlay and the lyrics to Country House down the side. Anyone got any more info surrounding this release? I recognized all the recordings as featuring in the 21 box set, I'm sure they probably all featured as B sides on other singles too..

Track listing:
Country House
Girls and boys
Parkflife
For Tomorrow
TracyJosh

Re: Mile End 4 track single/ep

Postby dougharrison » 26 Jul 2017, 20:38

It's Country House CD2 - standard release I believe. Not 100% certain of the track listing of the top of my head, but sounds right and certainly the artwork for it
dougharrison

Postby Vern » 26 Jul 2017, 20:40

Vinyl, not "vinyls". ;)
Vern

Postby bugman » 26 Jul 2017, 21:20

bugman

Postby stephen » 27 Jul 2017, 10:43

Yes it was blur's second cd single for country house in attempt to push those sales a little bit further.

There's quite a lot of them floating about.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 28 Jul 2017, 07:17

Yes, I bought it at the time (the sticker tells me it was £1.99 from HMV :) ).

The tracks were recorded live from the Mile End gig (17/06/95).

As stephen says, it was CD2 of 'Country House' as part of the sales push to beat Oasis to no. 1.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby dparrott » 30 Jul 2017, 16:55

Mallard No. 22 wrote:As stephen says, it was CD2 of 'Country House' as part of the sales push to beat Oasis to no. 1.

I don't think it was that, double CD singles were common going back to For Tomorrow.
dparrott

Postby stephen » 31 Jul 2017, 09:32

dparrott wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:As stephen says, it was CD2 of 'Country House' as part of the sales push to beat Oasis to no. 1.

I don't think it was that, double CD singles were common going back to For Tomorrow.

OK maybe I didn't explain myself very well. The second CD in stores was aligned next to the first CD, so the consumer were persuaded to make a choice of which one they bought, or better still both. I seem to remember oasis only had one choice, or if there were two it wasn't promoted as well. The BBC covered the situation and some people saw it as blur cheating ;)
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 01 Aug 2017, 06:37

Interesting points guys. I remember the 'Country House' CD singles as stephen describes - I bought both, and at the time the presence of both was suggested as making the sales difference that enabled Blur to beat Oasis to no. 1.

Previous singles had of course been released on two separate CDs, though I tended to buy just one version (e.g. as I did with 'Girls and Boys'). IIRC I had heard the Mile End show on Radio One and was impressed, so I was keen to buy some recordings from it.

With hindsight, it is disappointing that I didn't buy more of the singles - I tended to buy only one release (if there were two) and sometimes didn't buy either. The reasons for this were the general expense of buying music at that time, with a slight realisation that the artist (or certainly the record company) were exploiting the fans dedication. Also, the singles tended to be heard on radio and were on the album - you were in effect buying something that you wouldn't play very much.

And here is another interesting point. B-sides/other tracks on CD/cassette singles were often regarded as 'throwaway' - extra tracks that didn't make the album, dance remixes of the title track etc. This was a general consensus covering all artists, not just Blur. Whilst that was the thinking then, I now realise that this was not necessarily the case - there were some great b-sides, and I often find that singles fetch comparatively high prices on Amazon and ebay now. I regret not appreciating them more at the time.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Return to Blur