Opinions on Popscene?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Opinions on Popscene?

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 08 Aug 2017, 05:37

Mark87uk - when Blur's career really took off from 'Parklife' onwards, I can well imagine Popscene (as a low-charting single) being a sought-after rarity going for silly money.

NealZeal - it did mark a step forward from 'baggy' - as you also say, despite the brass hook it lacks a singalong chorus, which indeed probably went against it commercially.

Also at the time, there was huge interest in rave-type singles, and Nirvana had emerged big time for the indie-rock (& therefore the college) audience.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby Sledge Hammer » 13 Aug 2017, 10:53

Neal Zeal wrote:The song has lots of energy and is, symbolically, very important - it marked the end of the Blur baggy era and ushered in the new Britpop thing (well kind of). But as a musical composition it's pretty flipping weak. Ever found yourself whistling the chorus melody? Nope, didn't think so!

An amazing song doesn't always need a great chrous, Popscene is one, brilliant as it is...
Sledge Hammer

Postby Neal Zeal » 24 Aug 2017, 19:00

Sledge Hammer wrote:
Neal Zeal wrote:The song has lots of energy and is, symbolically, very important - it marked the end of the Blur baggy era and ushered in the new Britpop thing (well kind of). But as a musical composition it's pretty flipping weak. Ever found yourself whistling the chorus melody? Nope, didn't think so!

An amazing song doesn't always need a great chrous, Popscene is one, brilliant as it is...

Indeed - it hardly needs a chrous at all, let alone a great one.
A chorus, however, is essential!
Neal Zeal

Postby kevoutus » 25 Aug 2017, 22:22

Great stand alone single, unique and marked change in the right direction.The Flanger guitar thing blew me away when i first heard it. Great Bsides too. Read somewhere they were going to release Never Clever too around this time.... But didn't.
kevoutus

Postby metalhipslop » 15 Sep 2017, 02:43

kevoutus wrote:Great stand alone single, unique and marked change in the right direction.The Flanger guitar thing blew me away when i first heard it. Great Bsides too. Read somewhere they were going to release Never Clever too around this time.... But didn't.

interesting.. I fucking love Never Clever and I don't understand why the hell it wasn't released as a proper single. Or even a bside.. it was only on some Food CD.. and eventually the 21 boxset. Definitely one of my favourite blur tunes.. very underrated.
The bsides and unreleased tracks during that period before MLIR were brilliant. Been listening to a lot of Uncle Love recently and it's always been a favourite of mine but every time I go back i love it more.. So underrated. Kind of sounds like a song Nirvana would make if they were british
metalhipslop

Previous

Return to Blur