Damon's voice through the years

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Damon's voice through the years

Postby semi » 13 Jul 2017, 08:47

Damon's voice is getting worse live every year. He can't reach high notes anymore. So my question is, which is you favourite Damon's voice era?

Mine would be something between 1994/95.

I'm talking about live performances, not albums.
semi

Re: Damon's voice through the years

Postby bugman » 13 Jul 2017, 08:56

1999. He is 20 years Older, sobota its normal that he cant sings when he was young
bugman

Postby semi » 13 Jul 2017, 10:04

I think that has more to do with smoking and drugs than the age.
semi

Postby bugman » 13 Jul 2017, 15:41

semi wrote:I think that has more to do with smoking and drugs than the age.

im not smoking and don't use drugs, and realyl belive me, i have different voice now than i was a teenager. and im not a singer
bugman

Postby sara-m-a » 14 Jul 2017, 02:32

I don't care if he can't reach the higher notes, I still find his voice soothing and beautiful, actually I like it more now before it could be a little whining at times :?
And his speaking voice? wow I'd listen to him read the phone book really, there's a video of him reading a children's book, it's really cute he makes differents voices and intonations for each character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPeetUs8JnU
sara-m-a

Postby tender » 14 Jul 2017, 10:28

Smoking and age don't help but he still sounds good live , he could probably cut down on the smoking . I think around 99 would be my favourite era
tender

Postby MsMagicAmerica » 14 Jul 2017, 15:10

sara-m-a wrote:I
And his speaking voice? wow I'd listen to him read the phone book really,

For real!

I think smoking, drugs, (does drinking affect the vocal cords?) and age has deepened his voice a lot, but really, for a guy who is nearly 50 he still has a great voice! It's not like he's sudden;y turned into a Neil Young or a Bob Dylan. You can understand him.
MsMagicAmerica

Postby MrMagpie » 14 Jul 2017, 17:47

bugman wrote:

im not smoking and don't use drugs, and realyl belive me, i have different voice now than i was a teenager. and im not a singer

I'm the opposite. I sing quite a lot and my voice is miles better now than it was when I was 18 or 25. My range and the control I have over it are much better now due to experience. I also don't smoke or do drugs, which absolutely *do* ruin your voice eventually.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem
MrMagpie

Postby TracyJosh » 15 Jul 2017, 01:25

His voice sounds stronger and more controlled now than ever from what I've seen live since the Everyday Robots tour, but his range is a lot lower than it was. His falsetto is virtually non existent now, he admitted that's why they were reluctant to give Charmless Man a run out on TMW tour.

I suppose the period in which his diaphragm voice was adequately strong whilst also being able to hit high falsetto with his throat would probably be 1999-2003. That's the happy medium I guess, but when he sings at his lower, comfortable register nowadays, I find the tone is a lot richer. Damon was never a naturally gifted singer but I think he has learned how to sing in a disciplined way and thus he hasn't completely fucked his vocal chords like some of his 90s counterparts(*cough* Liam Gallagher *cough* Ian Brown *cough*).
TracyJosh

Postby davidsutter » 15 Jul 2017, 11:11

i think his falsetto is in better shape right now than it has been for a couple years

like when he did sleeping powder and demon days at the festival that was really solid

i very much disagree with the idea that damon isn't a naturally gifted singer

yeah he's having trouble with those high 90s chest notes now but his tone is amazing and he has good control

(plus remember how expansive his bass range is. like the low note in black book, that's impressive)

i've kinda had trouble getting into other britpop acts because i always think 'wow this singer is nowhere near as good as damon'
davidsutter

Postby TracyJosh » 15 Jul 2017, 12:54

davidsutter wrote:i think his falsetto is in better shape right now than it has been for a couple years

like when he did sleeping powder and demon days at the festival that was really solid

i very much disagree with the idea that damon isn't a naturally gifted singer

yeah he's having trouble with those high 90s chest notes now but his tone is amazing and he has good control

(plus remember how expansive his bass range is. like the low note in black book, that's impressive)

i've kinda had trouble getting into other britpop acts because i always think 'wow this singer is nowhere near as good as damon'

Haven't seen the Demon Days festival stuff yet. However, I don't doubt he could have regained a decent falsetto range. I guess it's also worth noting the condition of one's voice can change over the period of even a tour, it's very prone to change given the well being of the singer and extensive touring can wear it out, but also it may take a singer a run of shows to get it back up to scratch if they haven't been singing for 2 hours every night for a while.

When I say he isn't a naturally gifted singer I meant that he wasn't born with the powerful voice he has today, it has developed over time. He used to double track a lot of the vocals on Leisure to make it sound stronger before it had properly developed.. He is a great singer, but like his piano and guitar playing it is something he has mastered over time.
TracyJosh

Postby aldamasta » 17 Jul 2017, 05:31

Yeah I certainly disagree over Damon not being a naturally gifted singer. I don't think he's gotten worse at all, either. I just saw him live twice within the span of a week, and his vocals were wonderful both times. I would have to agree that 99-03 was his best period. Listen to Tender live any time in that period... so good! Out of Time as well.

Just listen to that live version of Blu with Mura Masa and tell me his voice isn't lovely there!
aldamasta

Next

Return to Blur