Out of time, under the radar...

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Out of time, under the radar...

Postby Neal Zeal » 28 Jun 2017, 21:17

101reykjavik wrote: I just have to take you up, Neal Zeal, on 13 being 'tedious and melodically weak.' It sounds like you prefer their earlier, more immediate pop melodies? Nothing wrong with that of course. How an album of such raw emotion could be tedious though I struggle to understand, unless of course one craves a hook over a more subtle unfurling of mood and atmosphere. I find pleasure in both. I think melodically weak is wide of the mark too. It's an album which is possibly more concerned with texture and rhythm than melody, which sits in stark contrast to much of their earlier work. One could interpret that as 'weak' if so inclined, I suppose, but that would be an incorrect assessment in my opinion.

Naughty me, those comments about 13 were arguably a little inflammatory. My bad! I'm not a fan at all of 13 but that's for another thread (and one I'd like to start soon!). My fave D Albarn composition is probably Sing, though, which is obviously very moody, textured and atmospheric. Unlike the 13 songs, though, it has a brilliant melody (bass line, chords, keyboards and singing) underpinning it.
Neal Zeal

Postby rich » 28 Jun 2017, 21:24

On its release, Out of Time reignited my interest in blur. I remember it being performed on Top of the Pops...

Until 2009, when I had a sort of epiphany at my first blur gig (Hyde Park), I'd followed them sporadically - only buying Parklife (on vinyl), and the S/T and Think Tank (on CD)...

I became a big fan in 2009, but Out of Time was definitely a station (of the cross) on my road to conversion, if you like :)
He thought of cars and where, where to drive them...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405
rich

Postby Neal Zeal » 28 Jun 2017, 22:13

rich wrote:On its release, Out of Time reignited my interest in blur. I remember it being performed on Top of the Pops...

Oh, well remembered!
Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3moCIBOijo
Looks to be completely live as well i.e. not just the singing.
Damon on Top of the Pops doing a guitar solo!
Neal Zeal

Postby TracyJosh » 29 Jun 2017, 01:44

Did it not have a radio edit!? Thought it would have gone once round and in on the radio edit instead of the full 45 seconds! No wonder haha.
TracyJosh

Postby 101reykjavik » 29 Jun 2017, 11:49

Neal Zeal wrote:
101reykjavik wrote: I just have to take you up, Neal Zeal, on 13 being 'tedious and melodically weak.' It sounds like you prefer their earlier, more immediate pop melodies? Nothing wrong with that of course. How an album of such raw emotion could be tedious though I struggle to understand, unless of course one craves a hook over a more subtle unfurling of mood and atmosphere. I find pleasure in both. I think melodically weak is wide of the mark too. It's an album which is possibly more concerned with texture and rhythm than melody, which sits in stark contrast to much of their earlier work. One could interpret that as 'weak' if so inclined, I suppose, but that would be an incorrect assessment in my opinion.

Naughty me, those comments about 13 were arguably a little inflammatory. My bad! I'm not a fan at all of 13 but that's for another thread (and one I'd like to start soon!). My fave D Albarn composition is probably Sing, though, which is obviously very moody, textured and atmospheric. Unlike the 13 songs, though, it has a brilliant melody (bass line, chords, keyboards and singing) underpinning it.

Maybe we should start that thread. :D
101reykjavik

Postby TracyJosh » 15 Jul 2017, 01:42

Without starting a separate thread, I was going to querie those of whom were Blur fans at the time just how well received "Stereotypes" was as a single? Obviously it didn't make the cut on the Best Of and I have personally not ever heard it played on the radio since becoming aware of the song about 10 years ago. I have 0 recollection of it upon its release.

Musically it's one of my favourite Blur songs, one of Alex's finest moments and oddly Graeme's guitar part comes across almost quite funky, but lyrically it's of course a bit too lazy and generic. Was it immediately seen as a fairly run of the mill single or is that only a retrospective thing?
TracyJosh

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 20 Jul 2017, 05:48

It was fairly routine as Blur singles go but maintained their momentum. The Blur fanbase were familiar with it from the album, and it will have gone straight into the top ten, and out again (it only had a five-week chart run).

My memory is that it got Radio One airplay and they did a 'Top Of The Pops' studio appearance with it (22/02/96) though Oasis were on straight afterwards with their new release 'Don't Look Back In Anger' and also 'Cum On Feel The Noize'. I suspect this unusual back-to-back performance was arranged by Oasis to upstage Blur, and at the time they were getting ahead in popularity with the passive fan.

They also performed the song on 'The White Room' (Channel 4) and 'TFI Friday' (Channel 4). This latter was the performance preceded by the downbeat interview with Damon, because Oasis were picking up several BRIT awards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABcxnZngAA

I will have seen these TV appearances at the time, though I don't particularly remember them :oops:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Jul 2017, 02:32

"Out of Time" to me has taken on more of a meaning since they began performing live w/Graham... He obviously adds that certain "something" which blows me away each and every time!
KingLouieLouie76

Previous

Return to Blur