The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby tom_cas1 » 14 Jun 2017, 22:18

The Great Escape is the album that got me into Blur, I love it. I remember going through my dads music collection just after the album came out and putting the album on. God I love it. It Could Be You, Top Man, Mr Robinson's Quango, Charmless Man, Stereotypes. A cracking album. Ernold Same is the only track I'm not a fan of (and maybe Huko & Hiro, musically) but apart from that, incredible. And looking back it's probably the album that turned me on to the guitar as an instrument as I used to pick up my trusted air guitar every time I put the album on. :lol:

Definitely underrated.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby anothermario » 15 Jun 2017, 01:53

until the Magic Whip for me it was always the most consistently good album from start to finish, with some GREAT songs! the universal is one of the greatest things to happen ever
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat
anothermario

Postby Forever Low Man » 15 Jun 2017, 02:26

mwm1444 wrote:guitar wise, it annoys the fuck out of me that Graham was citing Pavement et alwhilst being frustrated yet his work on this album was so far advanced to the great Malkmus and Sonic Youth etc

:| :?:
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners
Forever Low Man

Postby Neal Zeal » 15 Jun 2017, 09:48

Yes indeed - a v underrated album. I'd take it over 13 any day.
It is a very long album though - it should have been 12 songs max.
I don't much like Dan Abnormal, Entertain me, Stereotypes, Glove alone, Fade away, Top man or Mr Robinson but the remaining 8 or so songs range from good to great. The Universal is probably the best thing Damon's written and Yuko is an underrated beauty. 'He thought of cars' is in my top 10 Blur songs, and I still find Country House hard to resist.
Neal Zeal

Postby semi » 15 Jun 2017, 19:34

My first blur album. Love it, this was blur to me. I remember buying the "blur" album the second and dislike it because it was so different to TGE.

Today is not my favorite album. However, it has so many great moments as the four singles, topman, it could be you, best days, globe alone...

I agree that is should have less songs. Dan Abnormal, Fade Away, Yuko and Hiro, Mr Robinson's Quango should be out of the album. That would have made it a more consistent album. More songs doesn't mean better.Look at Morning Glory, I think it's a better album that TGE and it only has 10 songs (I would have removed Cast No Shadow and used another B-side like Acquiesce)
semi

Postby tom_cas1 » 15 Jun 2017, 21:58

Mr Robinson's Quango is excellent, can't believe there aren't many others here who think the same. So underrated!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby Daysleeper » 15 Jun 2017, 22:41

tom_cas1 wrote:Mr Robinson's Quango is excellent, can't believe there aren't many others here who think the same. So underrated!

100% with you on that. Love the song, especially Graham's guitars. The outro is immense.

Also a big fan of the album as a whole, nearly every song has something I love about it, Ernold Same and Dan Abnormal aside.
Daysleeper

Postby dparrott » 16 Jun 2017, 01:58

Still my favorite. For me it's the VARIETY! Happy pop, ballads, horns, ethnic music, surf guitar, techno...just a lil bit of everything! And the beautiful packaging!
dparrott

Postby semi » 16 Jun 2017, 06:09

dparrott wrote:Still my favorite. For me it's the VARIETY! Happy pop, ballads, horns, ethnic music, surf guitar, techno...just a lil bit of everything! And the beautiful packaging!

Agree, best blur packaging ever! Even better than Parklife.
semi

Postby jeffnottingham » 16 Jun 2017, 08:38

Completely agree but can't believe nobody has mentioned Best Days so far. One of Damon's best 'hymns'. And yes, htoc is a highlight alongside BD and the Universal. I was 15 when it came out and i bought it on tapr from woolworths. The only thing about Mr Robinson is that people who had only been hearing Country House on the radio, thought it WAS country house from the intro. I recall that happening a few times. Mr Robinson starts the second side of the tape, and there was always a sense of occasion in flipping the tape :)
jeffnottingham

Postby TracyJosh » 16 Jun 2017, 09:25

Also the album that got me into Blur. Me and my friend used to skip school and drive around in his bashed up BMW smoking pot and listening to old Red Hot Chili Peppers bootlegs, then one day after his sister had borrowed the car, TGE was in the CD player and we got in it one morning and that intro to Stereotypes started then that spanking bass line crashed in and I was like "what the fuck is this!?". Although I always had an appreciation of Blur since I was a wee sprogger, it was only The Best Of that lurked around my house so I was a fringe Blur fan. TGE got me hooked. I can see now where it's shortcomings were but if you have a sentimental connection to music and it overrides your more matured, critical ear then so what. Only songs I don't listen to on it are Charmless Man and Country House. I always thought Mr Robinson.. was a highlight...
TracyJosh

Postby dparrott » 16 Jun 2017, 14:36

MRQ is one of my top songs of all time. Yea the album is a bit juvenile, but for me that's part of the fun of it.
dparrott

Next

Return to Blur