The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby TracyJosh » 16 Jun 2017, 17:07

... Might add that at the time of getting into TGE, a Parklife Cd also kicked around the car and me and my friend would struggle to remember what songs were on which album because we didn't have the covers. Even now I have to think for a second what songs on the second half of both albums go where sometimes, which for me means that there is actually little difference in quality between the 2 albums.

I have always maintained that TGE's downfall was always timing. It got unanimous critical acclaim upon release, then it was popular to give the underdogs, oasis, their sensationalised rise to power after being bruised by the race to number 1, which involved the press turning on Blur. It's definitely not Blur's Be Here Now, because 70% of it is solid.

It actually does progress a lot from Parklife bar the singles maybe. He thought of cars would fit perfectly on S/T. Charmless Man and Country House were just lazy though.
TracyJosh
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 21 May 2016, 13:20

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby TripleJay97 » 17 Jun 2017, 12:50

Daysleeper wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Mr Robinson's Quango is excellent, can't believe there aren't many others here who think the same. So underrated!


100% with you on that. Love the song, especially Graham's guitars. The outro is immense.

Also a big fan of the album as a whole, nearly every song has something I love about it, Ernold Same and Dan Abnormal aside.


One of my top ten favourite Blur songs. It has no flaws!
Image
User avatar
TripleJay97
 
Posts: 6902
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 18:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby aldamasta » 18 Jun 2017, 03:01

Even though I'd still consider this blur's 2nd worst album, this is not a bad 2nd worst at all. For any other band this would be a good/great album, but blur's discography is just jam-packed with amazing records!

Country House is quite irresistible, cheesy as it may be. Add me to the list of Mr. Robinson's Quango fans. Some of blur's best moments were on TGE:
Best Days, The Universal, Mr. Robinson's, He Thought of Cars, It Could Be You, and Yuko and Hiro are all amazing songs. Some of Damon's best of all time.
User avatar
aldamasta
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 06:00
Location: Kentucky, United States

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 20 Jun 2017, 05:06

TracyJosh wrote: It's definitely not Blur's Be Here Now, because 70% of it is solid.

It actually does progress a lot from Parklife bar the singles maybe.


Yes, good points.

I like 'The Great Escape'. Perhaps 'Parklife' had the edge over it but I don't find it disappointing, and it was consistent with the previous two albums of the 'Britpop trilogy'.

Perhaps it disappoints some because during its time period Blur slipped behind Oasis in popularity. Also the singles upon it (being amongst Blur's most commercial-sounding) could be a bit routine and over-played.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
User avatar
Mallard No. 22
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 08:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby 101reykjavik » 20 Jun 2017, 23:16

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
TracyJosh wrote: It's definitely not Blur's Be Here Now, because 70% of it is solid.

It actually does progress a lot from Parklife bar the singles maybe.


Yes, good points.

I like 'The Great Escape'. Perhaps 'Parklife' had the edge over it but I don't find it disappointing, and it was consistent with the previous two albums of the 'Britpop trilogy'.

Perhaps it disappoints some because during its time period Blur slipped behind Oasis in popularity. Also the singles upon it (being amongst Blur's most commercial-sounding) could be a bit routine and over-played.


Good point about timing too, TracyJosh. There was an awful lot of hasty revisionism going on in the months after TGE's release. As you say, it received great reviews. And then Oasis gained acendency in the music press and the blighters decided to change their tune. It's a much, much better album than its reputation suggests. Better than TMW for me, now that album has had time to bed in over a couple of years. There, I said it.
Image
User avatar
101reykjavik
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 21:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 28 Jun 2017, 04:53

101reykjavik wrote: It's a much, much better album than its reputation suggests. Better than TMW for me, now that album has had time to bed in over a couple of years. There, I said it.


Yes, I can agree with that.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
User avatar
Mallard No. 22
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 08:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby PaulG » 29 Jun 2017, 21:24

He Thought of Cars and Best Days are absolutely gorgeous, both lyrically and musically. TGE is an album I never tire of listening to, and although 95/96 wasn't always a great time to be a Blur fan it's an album that brings back really fond memories for me.
PaulG
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 29 Nov 2014, 10:32

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby sara-m-a » 30 Jun 2017, 01:20

TGE was my first Blur album so it holds a very special place in my heart, that said I think charmless man and country house are a bit cringey in hindsight, but the rest it's quite solid, the universal, he thought of cars and best days are superb, I also LOVE stereotypes and entertain me. Funnily there are more songs in S/T that I skip than the ones I skip in TGE... that said I don't agree with the people saying TGE is better than TMW, but to each their own... the only album I find subpar is leisure, the rest are all very good in comparison and so diverse that it's hard and kind of unfair to pitch them against each other.
Image
User avatar
sara-m-a
 
Posts: 548
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 13:54
Location: Chile

Re: The Great Escape: APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Jun 2017, 03:48

I agree with the consensus that this indeed one of Blur's worst albums, but their worst is generally better than anyone else's best... So...that's how highly I regard them!

I personally believe it was the ideal sequel to "Parklife" in how some of it it is darker. I feel the B-Sides were better than most of the A-Sides because it marked how the band was in major transition out of "Britpop" and what eventually lead to their direction on "Self-Titled".... "It Can Be You", "He Thought of Cars", "the Universal", and"Best Days" are standouts.... "Globe Alone", "Dan Abormal", and "Entertain Me" I've always been mixed on.... "Fade Away", "Stereotypes", and "Mr. Robinson's Quango" rank up there as well... "Top Man" is so catchy to me...Blur always needs those "singalong" songs on their albums and that's actually one of the better ones. "Country House" is hokey..... "Charmless Man" to me first signaled their direction into "Self-Titled" to a certain extent.... That to me was the song they hoped appealed to people here in the States....I just love the range of styles/genres they covered... "Ernold Same" we know should be disregarded and "Yuko and Hiro" has has finally begun to grow on me after all these years... For some odd reason it took "TMW" to put that song into perspective which is strange I know......

Yes.. one of Blur's worst... but best compared to other bands!
Image
User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 04:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Previous

Return to Blur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests