Damon's thoughts On Radical Islamic Terrorism?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Damon's thoughts On Radical Islamic Terrorism?

Postby dougharrison » 07 Jun 2017, 02:41

Vorsprung wrote: Precisely my point...I don't think Damon can speak out against these ever increasing, super close to home attacks on British civilization without somewhat abandoning the "humanist" approach to his past and creating a contradiction. To my knowledge he's never really called anyone out other than the establishment and bureaucracy. Artistically, his love of his country and culture seem to be pretty strong.

But with respect to this issue, aren't we beyond saying "well if we hadn't invaded Iraq...", blaming a President or Prime Minister, etc? How is blaming anyone going to thwart another attack and loss of innocent life? I'd be disappointed if that were his response. I am not labeling Damon a superhero who can solve the world's ills. I just think the dynamics of how as an artist Damon's views (who has ventured into the socio-political realm) fits into this moment in time and the proximity of it all. I'd say he's a pretty significant voice.

I hope I'm not veering too far in to O/T territory here...

Your first sentence (as I read it) implies that you think you already know his opinion and he has changed his mind/perspective, I can't see any evidence to suggest this. You might be right, but I suspect you aren't. I would imagine he is keeping something of a tactful silence on the issue. There may or may not be outside influences (thinking primarily record label/management/media) affecting the decision to be quiet on this, but might also be respect for those who are suffering who might see his views as antagonistic.

Whilst apportioning blame to individual leaders certainly doesn't deal with the issues at hand, given my admittedly limited knowledge of middle eastern politics, the invasion of Iraq and the formation of ISIS/ISIL seems a simple cause and effect relationship. To invoke Godwin's Law, the reason for studying WWII in schools is not so much to blame Hitler for WWII (treaty of Versailles and unsatisfactory resolution to WWI also being significant factors in creating WWII) but to ensure events like the Holocaust don't occur again. As such if we want to "eliminate terrorism" or whatever current popular rhetoric politicians and the media are using, it is important to understand the root causes of terrorism. However, a cynic might suggest that rich powerful individuals, corporations and institutions might not want to invoke discourse on the relationship between inequity, greed and world poverty...

Whilst Damon has spoken actively on socio-political issues in the past, i think it's fair to say his fame and influence is significantly less this decade than in the 90's and 00's. I think it's also fair to say that the media is not only significantly more censored now, (I'm thinking the loose definition of stories "not in the public interest" that allows politicians to repress news) but also divided too, as such even if he were to speak publicly, it would probably be in something of an echo chamber.
dougharrison

Postby dougharrison » 07 Jun 2017, 02:45

Naturally if any of the above is too controversial, I am happy to delete, amend in line with moderator wishes. I don't wish to get the forum in to any trouble.
dougharrison

Postby dougharrison » 07 Jun 2017, 02:47

tom_cas1 wrote:
metalhipslop wrote:He seems a lot more concerned with with Brexit at this point, which was a democratic thing... Islamic terrorism, war in general and destruction of culture is far more terrifying, In my opinion.

Excellent point.

Hear hear, anything involving death, particularly of non-combatants, has to be seen as significantly more terrifying and more important than Brexit (spoken as someone who is very much against Brexit)
dougharrison

Postby MsMagicAmerica » 07 Jun 2017, 02:58

munch wrote:
MsMagicAmerica wrote:
Vorsprung wrote: but I can't imagine he can keep watching these dogs destroying the people, the city and country he loves and has centered his career around.

Insult to dogs everywhere.

Has Damon said anything about his views on ISIS?

or his views on dogs?

I'm sorry I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at munch's post!

Anyways, I was wondering, does anyone think maybe Damon has not really said anything in public about ISIS in fear that his view might be too controversial and make too many headlines? I mean him being against somethings make big headlines. Maybe he has strong views againt ISIS but doesn't want to say anything in public as it would hurt his image as a non war/peaceful person?
MsMagicAmerica

Postby munch » 07 Jun 2017, 17:48

Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man
munch

Postby tom_cas1 » 07 Jun 2017, 23:48

munch wrote:Image

English Bull Terrier. Lovely dogs. :)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby rob_graves » 10 Jun 2017, 22:35

Slight bit off thread topic but this video does show Damon speaking up for something and touches on his forward thinking opinions about how people need to have conversations and not rely on looking back and romanticism with the nostalgia of the way things "used to be". It's a new world with new problems.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/damon-alb ... me-2086994
rob_graves

Postby daii » 23 Jun 2017, 22:10

MsMagicAmerica wrote:Anyways, I was wondering, does anyone think maybe Damon has not really said anything in public about ISIS in fear that his view might be too controversial and make too many headlines? I mean him being against somethings make big headlines. Maybe he has strong views againt ISIS but doesn't want to say anything in public as it would hurt his image as a non war/peaceful person?

this.
I don't see Damon saying something like this

“They will try to finish with us all only because of some twisted logic supposedly sent by their God. How can you reason with someone like that?I’m worried the solution of people like my good friend Bono is to love them until they give up. I prefer to kill them all before they kill us.” - NOEL GALLAGHER :mrgreen: https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/ ... wont-work/
daii

Postby Forever Low Man » 23 Jun 2017, 22:14

daii wrote:
MsMagicAmerica wrote:Anyways, I was wondering, does anyone think maybe Damon has not really said anything in public about ISIS in fear that his view might be too controversial and make too many headlines? I mean him being against somethings make big headlines. Maybe he has strong views againt ISIS but doesn't want to say anything in public as it would hurt his image as a non war/peaceful person?

this.
I don't see Damon saying something like this

“They will try to finish with us all only because of some twisted logic supposedly sent by their God. How can you reason with someone like that?I’m worried the solution of people like my good friend Bono is to love them until they give up. I prefer to kill them all before they kill us.” - NOEL GALLAGHER :mrgreen: https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/ ... wont-work/

"GOBBY Noel Gallagher thinks Islamic terrorists should be KILLED as punishment"
Forever Low Man

Postby Lt Pinkerton » 24 Jun 2017, 12:46

tom_cas1 wrote:
metalhipslop wrote:He seems a lot more concerned with with Brexit at this point, which was a democratic thing... Islamic terrorism, war in general and destruction of culture is far more terrifying, In my opinion.

Excellent point.

Well, not quite. Damon's opinion on terrorism won't change a thing (terrorists are bad? really? No shit fam!) but his (actually pretty solid!) views on Brexit are more likely to influence other people, plus he's probably more entitled to talk about it.
Lt Pinkerton

Postby davidsutter » 24 Jun 2017, 13:32

Damon's definitely not pro-terrorism. Like Pinkerton said, obviously terrorism being bad is a no-brainer thing.

Thing is 23 percent of the world's population is muslim, a fraction of a percent of that being jihadist.

So he might see his time better spent humanizing the rest by working with Syrian musicians, lending music to the White Helmets film, etc.
davidsutter

PreviousNext

Return to Blur