Damon's thoughts On Radical Islamic Terrorism?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Damon's thoughts On Radical Islamic Terrorism?

Postby Vorsprung » 04 Jun 2017, 15:48

I'm an New York/American citizen, Anglophile who asserts London is my true home, wake up to BBC London each morning, Blur/Damon Obsessed, 40 something father of 3 young children whose young lives have Blur as their soundtrack of their lives, blessed to attend their Brooklyn show, republican/conservative values, live 30 minutes away from what once were the world trade center towers, visited Ottawa War Memorial a few days ahead of its shooting, missed Charlie Hebdo shootings in Paris by a couple weeks, Borough Market is the first stop for my wife and I when in London.

Needless to say, I care very deeply for these place and more importantly the people whose lives are destroyed by these terrorists. I spent another restless, angry night thinking of these special places where I've walked covered in the blood of people who I don't see as just nameless faces.

Damon's views matter to me just as his music matters to me. His socio-political views shouldn't matter to me, but they do. I realize his views (as reflected in both his actions and his art) are liberal and somewhat contradictory to mine, but I can't imagine he can keep watching these dogs destroying the people, the city and country he loves and has centered his career around.

Damon cannot be all sweetness and light when it comes to wanting people who want to destroy his city KEPT OUT AND PREVENTED from coming into OUR LONDON, OUR COUNTRY.

I hear all about the definitive resiliency and toughness of the UK in terms of WW2 and Churchill....
I hear all about the necessity of having a "discussion" with the Muslim community....rubbish

Teddy Bears, lit candles, flowers, tolerance and celebrity benefit concerts did not define British toughness and resiliency.
Teddy bears, lit candles, flowers, tolerance and celebrity benefit concerts will not stop Radical Islamic Terrorism in any area of the globe

It shouldn't matter to me, but in large part (as an American and as early as my late teenage years) Blur/Damon exposed me to my love of all things England.

Please tell me they are angry and not siding with political correctness.

It shouldn't matter to me...but it does.
Vorsprung

Re: Damon's thoughts On Radical Islamic Terrorism?

Postby tom_cas1 » 04 Jun 2017, 18:34

Before any replies come in I just want to reiterate what us mods say on any political thread - let's keep things civil. Political threads have a habit of getting out of control FAST due to different views. While It's obviously acceptable to have different views, it isn't acceptable to attack anyone else for having views different to yours and if that happens here the thread will be shut down hard.

Also while this is technically related to Blur due to Damon, I'm heavily considering moving it to the Off Topic section.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby TracyJosh » 05 Jun 2017, 00:52

I would say that Damon would likely be of the stance that these horrific acts of evil have in some way come as a result and stemmed from America, Britain and other countries in the western world's occupation of troops in Middle Eastern countries, most notably the invasion of Iraq(which Damon furiously campaigned against), and it is there that the approach needs to be reassessed going forward. You mentioned Churchill in your call for a more aggressive means to tackling the issue of terrorism but given the fact Damon had a close relationship with his grandfather who was a conscientious objector during World War II, it's unlikely any such nostalgia would sway Damon's view on the matter. He is staunch anti-war and an active campaigner for Nuclear disarmament. I'm afraid to say that Damon would likely have a totally contrary view to most things you have expressed there.

This is just my calculated assumption based on previous comments he's made on similar issues that I have read over the last 10 or so years. I do not personally wish to open up any debates on the justification of recent wars waged by Britain and America in the middle east, or debate the purity of reasons behind such wars.

My views are contrary to yours but it is a matter of personal opinion and how each individual feels and therefore I respect your views and understand your frustrations and anger.
Last edited by TracyJosh on 05 Jun 2017, 01:51, edited 2 times in total.
TracyJosh

Postby dougharrison » 05 Jun 2017, 01:41

TracyJosh wrote:I would say that Damon would likely be of the stance that these horrific acts of evil have in some way come as a result and stemmed from America, Britain and other countries in the western world's occupation of troops in Middle Eastern countries, most notably the invasion of Iraq(which Damon furiously campaigned against), and it is there that the approach needs to be reassessed going forward. You mentioned Churchill in your call for a more aggressive means to tackling the issue of terrorism but given the fact Damon had a close relationship with his grandfather who was a conscientious objector during World War II, it's unlikely any such nostalgia would sway Damon's view on the matter. He is staunch anti-war and an active campaigner for Nuclear disarmament. I'm afraid to say that Damon would likely have a totally contrary view to most things you have expressed there.

This is just my calculated assumption based on previous comments he's made on similar issues that I have read over the last 10 or so years. I do not personally wish to open up any debates on the justification of recent wars waged by Britain and America in the middle east, or debate the purity of reasons behind such wars.

My views are contrary to yours but it is a matter of personal opinion and how each individual feels and therefore I respect your views and understand your frustrations and anger.

Very well put, I tried to reply to this topic before there were any replies, but couldn't write anything that dealt with the nature of the original request in a particularly objective way. I would suggest that this is highly likely to represents Damon's POV, although it's perhaps fair to note that attacking the city his family live in might be enough to change some people's attitudes, I consider this very unlikely in Damon's case, due to the previously mentioned family history and that he himself would have lived in London whilst the IRA were active and the family would also have been based in London during the tube bombings back in 2005.

Sorry my reply feels horribly constructed and doesn't read particularly well, more sleep needed...
dougharrison

Postby rob_graves » 06 Jun 2017, 06:14

Vorsprung wrote:I'm an New York/American citizen, Anglophile who asserts London is my true home, wake up to BBC London each morning, Blur/Damon Obsessed, 40 something father of 3 young children whose young lives have Blur as their soundtrack of their lives, blessed to attend their Brooklyn show, republican/conservative values, live 30 minutes away from what once were the world trade center towers, visited Ottawa War Memorial a few days ahead of its shooting, missed Charlie Hebdo shootings in Paris by a couple weeks, Borough Market is the first stop for my wife and I when in London.

Needless to say, I care very deeply for these place and more importantly the people whose lives are destroyed by these terrorists. I spent another restless, angry night thinking of these special places where I've walked covered in the blood of people who I don't see as just nameless faces.

Damon's views matter to me just as his music matters to me. His socio-political views shouldn't matter to me, but they do. I realize his views (as reflected in both his actions and his art) are liberal and somewhat contradictory to mine, but I can't imagine he can keep watching these dogs destroying the people, the city and country he loves and has centered his career around.

Damon cannot be all sweetness and light when it comes to wanting people who want to destroy his city KEPT OUT AND PREVENTED from coming into OUR LONDON, OUR COUNTRY.

I hear all about the definitive resiliency and toughness of the UK in terms of WW2 and Churchill....
I hear all about the necessity of having a "discussion" with the Muslim community....rubbish

Teddy Bears, lit candles, flowers, tolerance and celebrity benefit concerts did not define British toughness and resiliency.
Teddy bears, lit candles, flowers, tolerance and celebrity benefit concerts will not stop Radical Islamic Terrorism in any area of the globe

It shouldn't matter to me, but in large part (as an American and as early as my late teenage years) Blur/Damon exposed me to my love of all things England.

Please tell me they are angry and not siding with political correctness.

It shouldn't matter to me...but it does.

Hi Vorsprung. I hope that you don't take my response in anything other than one person trying to understand another, just like the reason that you posted your message in the first place - that you're trying to understand Damon's stance and/or beliefs on these important topics. I think you should reconsider your statement "Please tell me they are angry and not siding with political correctness". That's a stereotype, in that saying someone can't be politically correct and be angry. It's just simply not true. How people feel and react to a horrific event can't be classified as simply just "angry" or "politically correct". This is not how the world really works. No one said that celebrity benefit concerts would stop radical islamic terrorism. It's just something for the people to let their emotions out with. Cry and come together in a positive community like way. I personally think the music was all horseshit, but it doesn't mean that it's a bad thing.

Everyone has different theories on how to fight terrorism. I believe it's through education and opportunity for the youth lower class who fall under radicalization.

In the end, you, myself, Damon, the Queen, Alex James, and the Pope all have different opinions on it. That's what makes us human.
rob_graves

Postby MsMagicAmerica » 06 Jun 2017, 08:36

Vorsprung wrote: but I can't imagine he can keep watching these dogs destroying the people, the city and country he loves and has centered his career around.

Insult to dogs everywhere.

Has Damon said anything about his views on ISIS?
MsMagicAmerica

Postby Vorsprung » 06 Jun 2017, 10:15

Thank you all for your thoughts. I appreciate the time you took in sharing your views. Discourse is quickly becoming a lost art. This topic will not devolve into bickering or nastiness (at least on my behalf).

You are right, as a dog owner myself, I initially paused when I used the word "dogs" to describe these savages. Dogs are far higher up on the evolutionary, loving scale.
And I guess political correctness for me has taken on a negative connotation, so you have a point.

I think what this boils down to for me, given my passion for Blur, Damon, London, et. al are, in fact, Damon's views. Simply put, I just can't imagine the man whose soul is devoted to London and the UK can't loathe/hate what's taking place. That said, if Damon opts not to share his views or doesn't speak out against what we are all witnessing, that is certainly his right, though I would find it slightly disappointing and paradoxical given his love of London. If he has spoken (past or present) I'd love to hear what he's said.
Vorsprung

Postby metalhipslop » 06 Jun 2017, 15:16

Yes, I believe Damon has said ISIS is similar to the cultural revolution of China ( I can't find the article), but that is about it.

I'd like to hear him speak out against Islamic terrorism as well. I'm with you as I really do care about what Damon's views are about these things because it does translate through the music.
He seems a lot more concerned with with Brexit at this point, which was a democratic thing... Islamic terrorism, war in general and destruction of culture is far more terrifying, In my opinion.

There was a point a few years ago when he started making Humanz that there would be addressing terrorism but that really doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe a little bit?
metalhipslop

Postby munch » 06 Jun 2017, 16:10

MsMagicAmerica wrote:
Vorsprung wrote: but I can't imagine he can keep watching these dogs destroying the people, the city and country he loves and has centered his career around.

Insult to dogs everywhere.

Has Damon said anything about his views on ISIS?

or his views on dogs?
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man
munch

Postby Vorsprung » 06 Jun 2017, 19:38

metalhipslop wrote:Yes, I believe Damon has said ISIS is similar to the cultural revolution of China ( I can't find the article), but that is about it.

I'd like to hear him speak out against Islamic terrorism as well. I'm with you as I really do care about what Damon's views are about these things because it does translate through the music.
He seems a lot more concerned with with Brexit at this point, which was a democratic thing... Islamic terrorism, war in general and destruction of culture is far more terrifying, In my opinion.

There was a point a few years ago when he started making Humanz that there would be addressing terrorism but that really doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe a little bit?

Precisely my point...I don't think Damon can speak out against these ever increasing, super close to home attacks on British civilization without somewhat abandoning the "humanist" approach to his past and creating a contradiction. To my knowledge he's never really called anyone out other than the establishment and bureaucracy. Artistically, his love of his country and culture seem to be pretty strong.

But with respect to this issue, aren't we beyond saying "well if we hadn't invaded Iraq...", blaming a President or Prime Minister, etc? How is blaming anyone going to thwart another attack and loss of innocent life? I'd be disappointed if that were his response. I am not labeling Damon a superhero who can solve the world's ills. I just think the dynamics of how as an artist Damon's views (who has ventured into the socio-political realm) fits into this moment in time and the proximity of it all. I'd say he's a pretty significant voice.
Vorsprung

Postby tom_cas1 » 06 Jun 2017, 23:33

metalhipslop wrote:He seems a lot more concerned with with Brexit at this point, which was a democratic thing... Islamic terrorism, war in general and destruction of culture is far more terrifying, In my opinion.

Excellent point.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby TracyJosh » 07 Jun 2017, 01:10

I'm sure if you sat down and had a conversation with Damon about terrorist attacks he would undoubtedly express some degree of anger, but where the anger would be focused is anyone's guess.

It's not as simple as blaming a single president or single prime minister, the Iraq war was just an example of a relatively recent impending invasion that he was very upfront about being against. Unfortunately it's fact that America and Britain have conquered or at the very least exploited the Middle East for literally hundreds of years. Britain has a rich cultural history which we all love, but it's undeniable there's an incredibly ugly side too. The hatred we feel for these evil murderers in the aftermath of our children being murdered at a pop concert could be the same emotion which drives innocent grieving Syrians, Iraqi's, Afghani's and so on who have unjustly lost their wives, husbands, baby boys and baby girls as a result of British and American air strikes to be vulnerable to having warped ideals set upon them. There is of course also British born men taking part in these horrific attacks, in which case I would assume deteriorating mental health could lead these lost souls to wanting to have some kind of significance and finding it in the most toxic and wicked outlet. I digress, but my point being that it's not black and white, there's such a gigantic grey area, you seemingly desire a response from Damon that is of toughness and resiliencey but towards who or what? Hence, the only way forward is to reassess how we approach our presence in the Middle East. Not selling arms to Saudi Arabia which then land in the hands of ISIS would be a start.

Apologies, I of course couldn't hold back some of my own opinions, but to reiterate, we all have our own perspectives and beliefs on what's right and what's going on in the world. I don't wish to demean anyone else's views. I respect them all.
Last edited by TracyJosh on 07 Jun 2017, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
TracyJosh

Next

Return to Blur