Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby Forever Low Man » 26 May 2017, 00:44

tom_cas1 wrote:Crazy Beat isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It's catchy and obvious single material from Think Tank. Is it Blur's best single? Obviously not. But it's enjoyable and a good representation of Blur at that time, minus Graham.

Ernold Same is absolutely terrible though, I'm sorry. How it made the album over Ultranol/The Man Who Left Himself I'll never know. Each to their own though. It's Blur's lowest moment in my eyes.

Ultranol smells like cheese.

Man Who Left Himself hadn't been recorded yet.
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners
User avatar
Forever Low Man
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby Sledge Hammer » 26 May 2017, 05:54

tom_cas1 wrote:Crazy Beat isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It's catchy and obvious single material from Think Tank. Is it Blur's best single? Obviously not. But it's enjoyable and a good representation of Blur at that time, minus Graham.

Ernold Same is absolutely terrible though, I'm sorry. How it made the album over Ultranol/The Man Who Left Himself I'll never know. Each to their own though. It's Blur's lowest moment in my eyes.


Agreed
Image
User avatar
Sledge Hammer
 
Posts: 631
Joined: 21 Feb 2015, 07:30

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby 101reykjavik » 26 May 2017, 11:53

I like albums that have changes of mood and texture and Ernold Same brings that to TGE. Solid part of the album, fits the theme perfectly. And that's coming from someone with no time for Ken Livingstone. :lol:
Image
User avatar
101reykjavik
 
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby semi » 26 May 2017, 12:02

TGE need to get rid of Fade Away, Quango, Dan Abnormal, Yuko and Hiro.

And put in No Monsters in Me


Stereotypes
Country House
Best Days
Charmless Man
Topman
The Universal
No Monsters in Me
He thought of cars
It could be you
Ernold Same
Globe Alone
Entertain Me

and that's it. Much better album.
semi
 
Posts: 26
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 14:58

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby Forever Low Man » 26 May 2017, 23:03

semi wrote:TGE need to get rid of Fade Away, Quango, Dan Abnormal, Yuko and Hiro.

And put in No Monsters in Me


Stereotypes
Country House
Best Days
Charmless Man
Topman
No Monsters in Me
He thought of cars
It could be you
Ernold Same
Globe Alone
Entertain Me
The Universal


and that's it. Much better album.


fixed (i guess). we all know "entertain me"'s not a solid closer
Image
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners
User avatar
Forever Low Man
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: 12 Sep 2014, 16:47
Location: A million miles away, in your backyard

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby tom_cas1 » 27 May 2017, 03:11

Mr Robinson's Quango is one of the best songs on The Great Escape IMO, but another underrated track among Blur fans it seems. A damn shame.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
 
Posts: 7451
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 27 May 2017, 07:16

'Mr Robinson's Quango' is a memorable song. 'Ernold Same' is neither here nor there, but harmless filler. And we wouldn't have wanted Ken Livingstone singing 'The Universal' ;)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
User avatar
Mallard No. 22
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby Rubi » 27 May 2017, 11:29

Mr. Robinson's Quango worked well in that mid-90s Britpop haze, but nowadays it's a little cringe-inducing.
Image
User avatar
Rubi
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 20:54
Location: Under the Westway

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 30 May 2017, 05:00

Yes, songs about characters were a feature of the period.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
User avatar
Mallard No. 22
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby rich » 30 May 2017, 22:24

Mallard No. 22 wrote:'Mr Robinson's Quango' is a memorable song. 'Ernold Same' is neither here nor there, but harmless filler. And we wouldn't have wanted Ken Livingstone singing 'The Universal' ;)

:lol: :lol:
He thought of cars and where, where to drive them...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405
User avatar
rich
 
Posts: 712
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 16:58
Location: London UK

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby Dekagamer7X9 » 31 May 2017, 00:19

I love both of them as well as Ernold Same.
User avatar
Dekagamer7X9
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 19:51

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby MannMedic » 01 Jun 2017, 16:22

(As a bit of a side note, I was relistening to The Great Escape yesterday, and Ernold Same finally broke through to me. Not sure why, just on that listen I think it began to appeal, a bit like how Gorillaz songs are with me. Starts off okay, but the more I listened to it, the more I enjoyed it. Love the vocals and everything!)
Just your average country sad ballad man!
Image
User avatar
MannMedic
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 22 May 2017, 23:52
Location: Texas, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Blur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests

cron