Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby MannMedic » 24 May 2017, 05:38

Since I don't hear much about them at all, I was wondering what the general consensus on the MLIR b-side covers is? I really like both of them, especially Daisy Bell, Damon's singing in it is just wonderful to listen to. I admit, it's a little cheesy with the hokey speaker voice, but that's the charm of the song. Anyways, what do you guys think about these songs? I'd be interested to hear your opinions!
Just your average country sad ballad man!
MannMedic

Re: Thoughts on the MLIR Daisy Bell and The Strand covers?

Postby Forever Low Man » 24 May 2017, 17:16

they're extremely hokey.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners
Forever Low Man

Postby Moritz » 24 May 2017, 19:41

They are realy like a drunken fun song, more like an outtake. Daisy Bell always reminds me of the Oasis cover of Slade's "Cum On Feel the Noize". But the live versions, which were played around 1993, are very enjoyable because this song is live very punk like.
Moritz

Postby tom_cas1 » 24 May 2017, 19:47

One of Blur's lowest moments, the lowest being Ernold Same.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby MannMedic » 24 May 2017, 19:51

Moritz wrote:They are realy like a drunken fun song, more like an outtake. Daisy Bell always reminds me of the Oasis cover of Slade's "Cum On Feel the Noize". But the live versions, which were played around 1993, are very enjoyable because this song is live very punk like.

Yeah, I can definitely see what you mean. In the chorus for Daisy Bell, I can imagine a pub full of people singing along and knocking down pints together. I'll check out those live performances though, sounds interesting.

And on Tom's comment, yeah, I guess I like the corniness of it. I couldn't get into Ernold Same, no matter how much I listened to it, I thought I was weird because of it.
MannMedic

Postby AdvertBreak » 24 May 2017, 20:46

They're okay, they beat the versions I made my grandma record when I was 9 anyway.

Pity (or maybe not) that we never got to hear For Old Times Sake. Wasn't the recording wiped?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~chemical_think_tank
AdvertBreak

Postby MannMedic » 24 May 2017, 20:52

AdvertBreak wrote:They're okay, they beat the versions I made my grandma record when I was 9 anyway.

Pity (or maybe not) that we never got to hear For Old Times Sake. Wasn't the recording wiped?

Wiped or lost, I've heard both. Would be interesting to hear it, if it ever surfaces by some miracle.
MannMedic

Postby MsMagicAmerica » 24 May 2017, 23:26

tom_cas1 wrote:One of Blur's lowest moments, the lowest being Ernold Same.

Agree with the first part of your sentence. Disagree with Ernold Same being a low point, but that's for another thread. :)
MsMagicAmerica

Postby 101reykjavik » 25 May 2017, 12:14

I quite like them. Daisy Bell less so, but I happen to think The Strand is a lot of fun. They fit into the narrative of Damon's love of the theatrical and his later move into musical theatre / opera, as the songs are rooted in the British music hall tradition. So I think there's a sort continuity in that sense that means they aren't just cheesy jokes, but a step on that path.

Ernold Same is a lovely example of Damon's observational slice of life style at the time. I think it's charming. And whatever one thinks of Ken Livingstone, a perfect voice for that monotonous routine.
101reykjavik

Postby Moritz » 25 May 2017, 17:34

MannMedic wrote:Yeah, I can definitely see what you mean. In the chorus for Daisy Bell, I can imagine a pub full of people singing along and knocking down pints together. I'll check out those live performances though, sounds interesting.

There are two good live versions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH67vj4hChU (Mile End 1995) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRysadRObs (Italy 1993).

As for Old Times Sake, 3862 Days said that the tapes were later deleted.
Moritz

Postby metalhipslop » 25 May 2017, 22:59

tom_cas1 wrote:One of Blur's lowest moments, the lowest being Ernold Same.

wow... Ernold Same the lowest blur moment? it's a great little song about repetitious conformist life style. adds to tge being one of the most darkest blur albums. really don't get how it's the lowest blur moment... have you heard crazy beat? that was a serious single the played at every show.. ernold same was just a little narrative interlude... better than daisy bell and the strand for sure.. like crazy beat, only half enjoyable when you are shit face drunk
metalhipslop

Postby tom_cas1 » 26 May 2017, 00:22

Crazy Beat isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It's catchy and obvious single material from Think Tank. Is it Blur's best single? Obviously not. But it's enjoyable and a good representation of Blur at that time, minus Graham.

Ernold Same is absolutely terrible though, I'm sorry. How it made the album over Ultranol/The Man Who Left Himself I'll never know. Each to their own though. It's Blur's lowest moment in my eyes.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Next

Return to Blur