Gorillaz (2001)

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Rubi

Gorillaz (2001)

Post by Rubi » 22 May 2017, 19:42

Can't believe it's been 16 years since its release. Still vividly remember listening to it day in, day out. It was the album that got me into music and consequently into Blur.

Clint Eastwood remains to this day one of the dearest songs that I hold in my heart, whereas Tomorrow Comes Today is by far one of the best songs Damon has written in the last 20 years. But it's a record full of gems that nobody talks about, like New Genius, Man Research, Sound Check and Slow Country.

Damon experimented a lot here, not only in terms of music styles (first time he collaborated with a rapper), but also vocally. In songs like New Genius, Man Research and Starshine his voice is so different and eccentric.

The album has a very distinct sound to it that sets it apart from all the other Gorillaz records. You can tell that Damon felt very liberated to do whatever the hell he wanted, and the fact that he didn't have to show his face clearly amplified his engagement in that respect.

Thoughts?

Sledge Hammer

Re: Gorillaz (2001)

Post by Sledge Hammer » 22 May 2017, 21:02

Fantastic album...not swamped with other people, even a throw away thrash song "Punk" like a Blur album :D

...and two of the finest remixes ever in Clint Eastwood and 19-2000 which resulted in much more airplay.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 22 May 2017, 21:04

it's top 3 albums for me of all time. it really feels the most in character of all gorillaz albums and is probably my favorite gorillaz phase, although I prefer the demon days live set up. little things like in the booklet each song says written by "2d / murdoc". the gbitez. the mystery of it all...
and there was only del as a collaborator I think, and he even got a cartoon... well.. there were others but they were part of the gorillaz canon. junior dan was murdoc, miho was noodle. just feels like a cartoon band whenever i hear it. it's got a great sunshine feel. but still some darkness... stoned apathy vocals.. amazing dub basslines all over. fits perfectly with murdoc thinking he is the frontman so his basslines are always loud and upfront up until plastic beach.

as much as I like humanz , whenever I go back and listen to the first album I can't help but wish damon would write songs like this again and deep down I prefer less guests on gorillaz albums. and more organic instruments like electric guitar, bass, drums, strings...

i just love that period of damon's career... 13,gorillaz, mali music, and think tank.
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 22 May 2017, 21:48

Hmm, other collaborators aside from Del included Miho Hattori, Tina Weymouth, Ibrahim Ferrer and.. umm, that's all I can think of.

There was also Phi Life Cypher who did the original version of Clint Eastwood and The Sounder, and Ed Case who did the remix of the former.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 May 2017, 22:08

Slow Country is the best Gorillaz song ever, and a top 5 all time Damon song. Superb.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 22 May 2017, 22:16

one of my favorite things about this album is that phi life cypher recorded several raps for it and none of them made the album

hahahahaha
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

anothermario

Post by anothermario » 23 May 2017, 05:40

also the album that got me into music. a classic!
I can't wear that, stupid rain hat

bugman

Post by bugman » 23 May 2017, 15:25

tom_cas1 wrote:Slow Country is the best Gorillaz song ever, and a top 5 all time Damon song. Superb.
what ? did u hear every planet ? empire ants ? kwg ?hong kong?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 23 May 2017, 16:25

16 years... blimey. I remember when this came out. I was starting a new job at a design agency when it was released. Played it loads. It falls short of Demon Days of course (and quite possibly Plastic Beach for me too) but it's sort of its own dubby thing as Rubi said.

Slow Country is nice. But it's not close to the best Gorillaz track Tom! :P

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 May 2017, 16:31

bugman wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Slow Country is the best Gorillaz song ever, and a top 5 all time Damon song. Superb.
what ? did u hear every planet ? empire ants ? kwg ?hong kong?
I was taking you seriously until I saw "Empire Ants" and then I knew you were taking the piss. :P

I stand by my comment. ;)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 23 May 2017, 17:37

I like some tracks from the debut, but generally this is not the album that I would listen in its entirety a lot. I wish Latin Simone featured english vocals, because Damon kills it on that version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaSTOAJAUHM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Re-Hash is a good intro track, I like 19-2000 and obvious hits like TCT and Clint Eastwood. And I can play some parts with my melodica, which is a rare instrument - so I do to a couple of songs from that record :) But overall most of the tracks are on the forgettable side for me, and Demon Days is so far superior in that regard.

P.S. I think Empire Ants is better than Slow Country.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 23 May 2017, 23:00

Maybe Tom has heard only the first half of Empire Ants. :lol:

But yeah, I also think it's better than Slow Country.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 24 May 2017, 08:00

Really good set of songs without being a great album in itself, but it's still their second best release to me. So many stellar singles and it's probably a great way to start a side-project. They could have turned in a lot of directions from it and in some ways to me they've ignored some of the better elements of this album and Gorillaz has become far too guest oriented and no longer has any real impetus or excitement attached to it, as it did on the first two albums.

Tomorrow Comes Today is peak Gorillaz and Damon hand-in-in-your-pockets, head-down, kickin' stones music; Clint Eastwood is still a relevant song, 19-2000 sadly a little forgotten now but I think if you put it on at 1:30 at a nightclub kids'd remember it. I love the chunky, swaggy feel to it. And it's a nice break from their other artwork as well.

Really underrated album.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 May 2017, 06:54

Pavlich wrote: 19-2000 sadly a little forgotten now but I think if you put it on at 1:30 at a nightclub kids'd remember it. I love the chunky, swaggy feel to it.
Yes, a great song - it got lots of airplay at the time.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 27 May 2017, 11:24

Indeed. It got #6 in the charts, the iconic music video was on everywhere, and the Soulchild Remix was an instant hit.

Speaking of, which do you prefer, the album version or the remix? They're so different in their own ways.