Humanz - predict chart position and UK/international sales

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Humanz - predict chart position and UK/international sales

Postby Neal Zeal » 01 May 2017, 22:53

OK to have a separate thread on this? Apols if not...
For context:
Gorillaz peaked at no. 3 in the UK with 1 million UK sales and 7 million world wide
Demon Days - no. 1 in the UK, 1.8 million UK sales and 8 million worldwide
Plastic Beach - no. 2 in the UK, 500,000 UK sales, 1.3 million worldwide

For Humanz, I predict...
no. 3 in the UK, 200,000 UK sales, 0.5 million worldwide
(this is assuming it has no radio-friendly singles - if there is at least one, you can double these figures).
Neal Zeal

Re: Humanz - predict chart position and UK/international sal

Postby Mark72 » 01 May 2017, 23:16

I'm going for No. 3 UK and No. 5 USA.
Mark72

Postby Veikko » 01 May 2017, 23:17

Neal Zeal wrote:no. 3 in the UK, 200,000 UK sales, 0.5 million worldwide

That sounds about right, although I would predict a little higher worldwide sales (considering even The Magic Whip sold around 0.35 million without any remarkable singles).
Veikko
Site Admin

Postby aldamasta » 02 May 2017, 01:25

I'm still hoping for #1 on both sides of the pond, but I've few guesses on sales. I don't pay enough attention to sales to make a good guess. Maybe 1 million worldwide? So I suppose my prediction will be my hope, #1 both countries.
aldamasta

Postby Rubi » 02 May 2017, 09:44

Wait, Damon's solo got to #2 whereas The Magic Whip got straight to #1, but Gorillaz which are much more popular won't get to #1? That makes no sense.
Rubi

Postby Neal Zeal » 02 May 2017, 11:43

Rubi wrote:Wait, Damon's solo got to #2 whereas The Magic Whip got straight to #1, but Gorillaz which are much more popular won't get to #1? That makes no sense.

Depends what you mean by much more popular, Rubi?
In the UK, Demon Days sold more than any Blur album but the other Gorillaz albums didn't. Most Blur albums outsold Plastic Beach. There are about 12-15 Blur songs that pick up frequent airplay (over once a week) on UK radio - there are only 3 or 4 Gorillaz songs that do likewise. I've heard things are different in the US, but in the UK it would be hard to make the case that Gorillaz are a bigger act than Blur.
Neal Zeal

Postby idreamofpikas » 02 May 2017, 12:47

Neal Zeal wrote:
Rubi wrote:Wait, Damon's solo got to #2 whereas The Magic Whip got straight to #1, but Gorillaz which are much more popular won't get to #1? That makes no sense.

In the UK, Demon Days sold more than any Blur album but the other Gorillaz albums didn't. Most Blur albums outsold Plastic Beach. There are about 12-15 Blur songs that pick up frequent airplay (over once a week) on UK radio - there are only 3 or 4 Gorillaz songs that do likewise. I've heard things are different in the US, but in the UK it would be hard to make the case that Gorillaz are a bigger act than Blur.

Demon Days 6 times Platinum
Park Life 4 times Platinum
Gorillaz and The Great Escape both went triple Platinum
Plastic Beach, Blur and 13 went Platinum
Think Tank, The Magic Whip, Leisure and MLiR all went Gold.

Feel Good Inc & Clint Eastwood both went Platinum
Country House, Tender, Song 2 all went Gold
Dare, Dirty Harry, 19-2000, Rock the House, Girls & Boys, Parklife, Beetlebum and The Universal all went Silver.

They are roughly equal in terms of sales in the UK, Blur may well have the edge but there is not too much difference. Worldwide is a different matter altogether though

Overall there is not too much difference in terms of sales in the UK
idreamofpikas

Postby Styopa » 02 May 2017, 13:40

idreamofpikas wrote:
Neal Zeal wrote:

Demon Days 6 times Platinum
Park Life 4 times Platinum
Gorillaz and The Great Escape both went triple Platinum
Plastic Beach, Blur and 13 went Platinum
Think Tank, The Magic Whip, Leisure and MLiR all went Gold.

Feel Good Inc & Clint Eastwood both went Platinum
Country House, Tender, Song 2 all went Gold
Dare, Dirty Harry, 19-2000, Rock the House, Girls & Boys, Parklife, Beetlebum and The Universal all went Silver.

They are roughly equal in terms of sales in the UK, Blur may well have the edge but there is not too much difference. Worldwide is a different matter altogether though

Overall there is not too much difference in terms of sales in the UK

This is interesting. But surely Girls & Boys, Parklife, Beetlebum and The Universal are far better known, and receive more airplay than any of Dirty Harry, 19-2000 and Rock The House. In the UK at least.

In fact whilst Feel Good Inc & Clint Eastwood are undeniable bona fide hits, Gorillaz have probably released only two other songs (Dare and Melancholy Hill) which are anything close to being as well known in the UK as The Universal or Parklife, or Girls & Boys or Beetlebum.

As mentioned above, Blur have a whole host of singles that receive regular UK airplay and have done so for a great number of years and Gorillaz are not really comparable at this point.
Styopa

Postby Sledge Hammer » 02 May 2017, 13:44

Who are this Gorillaz you speak of?

Blur will be remembered years from now....
Sledge Hammer

Postby tom_cas1 » 02 May 2017, 15:16

DARE and Dirty Harry were huge in the UK upon release, On Melancholy Hill wasn't. Nothing from Plastic Beach was.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby Sledge Hammer » 02 May 2017, 15:37

TEST
Last edited by Sledge Hammer on 02 May 2017, 15:42, edited 2 times in total.
Sledge Hammer

Postby Sledge Hammer » 02 May 2017, 15:38

Sledge Hammer wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:DARE and Dirty Harry were huge in the UK upon release, On Melancholy Hill wasn't. Nothing from Plastic Beach was.

Dare and Feel Good Inc are the only big singles and all you ever hear repeated on radio, Dirty Harry...got to no 6 and left the charts quickly and isn't well know by non Gorillaz fans at all, you are also going to find that nothing from Humanz will be big either.
Sledge Hammer

Next

Return to Blur