song 2 - a grunge parody?

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

song 2 - a grunge parody?

Postby metalhipslop » 15 Apr 2017, 11:43

does anybody have a source of any of the band members saying song 2 to be a grunge parody? there was always this idea that it is a parody of grunge just because of the lyrics making little to no sense, but the lyrics weren't far off from what pavement or beck were doing in the 90's in some ways. On wikipedia it says "Blur intended the song to be a parody of grunge". Which I don't get. I always saw just them emulating american music they were listening to at the time... By that time they were over the anti-grunge/american thing so I couldn't see them being like "let's make a grunge parody song!"

It's one of those things that has always bothered me for years people saying "song 2 is a parody of grunge" but i've never heard the band say it. Maybe I have and I forget..
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.
metalhipslop

Re: song 2

Postby Veikko » 16 Apr 2017, 22:34

Hmm, I've always wondered about that too, and can't remember any of the band members saying such a thing... I think it was just one of those fast songs (Bank Holiday, Globe Alone etc) that Blur always used to put on their records (to balance them?)

I found the following Alex's quote from http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1104:
"We didn't think about it at all. Graham set up two kits, Dave and Graham started playing drums at the same time, this real "aggro" beat. Then the chorus is two distorted basses and Damon's guide vocal. It was kind of a throwback. We'd always done brainless rocking out, though maybe it's not what we're known for."
Veikko
Site Admin

Re: song 2 - a grunge parody?

Postby metalhipslop » 17 Apr 2017, 02:04

ya, exatcly. chinese bombs is another weird fast one on the same record... lyrics make no sense and seem to be about bruce lee or something lol.
metalhipslop

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 17 Apr 2017, 10:07

If they were going to do a 'grunge parody', I suspect it would be on MLIR, or perhaps a b-side of one of the 1993-94 singles.

'Song 2' was later than this. As Veikko says, I think it was one of the fast commercial songs that they did. As such it was suitable for mainstream USA.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby tweedz » 17 Apr 2017, 11:23

eh up!
i dont think grunge came into it.. otherwise i think i would have done a spidery part in the verses...and the song would have been slower.. i think it relates far more to bands like ATV or buzzcocks with a bit of pavement maybe than anything overtly American.
i have said it before that the demo was slow and acoustic and the chorus was a wolf whistle...i just said "lets speed it up and thrash up the chorus"-- of course when we did that damon couldn't hear himself singing so much and the wolf whistle turned into a "woo-hoo!"--
the idea was to make something the label would think disgusting.... but they loved it. so it was a a fun song really that we thought would struggle to get on the album...just very throwaway.. we didn't think about it, just did it. thats why its good i suppose.
Damon tried redoing the vocal a couple of times but it felt tense and lyrically forced so we went with the rough vocal that damon put down in the control room (which is essentially a nonsense lyric made up on the spot and is very relaxed) at the same time as we recorded the guitars...my guitar part was one pass with damon singing the rough and i think alex doing a root note bass part..... alex added a couple of other passes...it was supposed to be quite moronic... it was a release from all the more cerebral stuff we were dong at the time...i loved it and was really happy the label liked it..even happier when it became a single because it was far removed from what people thought we were as a band... and dead easy to play more importantly!
tweedz

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Apr 2017, 14:35

tweedz wrote:eh up!
i dont think grunge came into it.. otherwise i think i would have done a spidery part in the verses...and the song would have been slower.. i think it relates far more to bands like ATV or buzzcocks with a bit of pavement maybe than anything overtly American.
i have said it before that the demo was slow and acoustic and the chorus was a wolf whistle...i just said "lets speed it up and thrash up the chorus"-- of course when we did that damon couldn't hear himself singing so much and the wolf whistle turned into a "woo-hoo!"--
the idea was to make something the label would think disgusting.... but they loved it. so it was a a fun song really that we thought would struggle to get on the album...just very throwaway.. we didn't think about it, just did it. thats why its good i suppose.
Damon tried redoing the vocal a couple of times but it felt tense and lyrically forced so we went with the rough vocal that damon put down in the control room (which is essentially a nonsense lyric made up on the spot and is very relaxed) at the same time as we recorded the guitars...my guitar part was one pass with damon singing the rough and i think alex doing a root note bass part..... alex added a couple of other passes...it was supposed to be quite moronic... it was a release from all the more cerebral stuff we were dong at the time...i loved it and was really happy the label liked it..even happier when it became a single because it was far removed from what people thought we were as a band... and dead easy to play more importantly!

Thanks for that wonderful explanation tweedz.... I've been often curious about this performance of "Song 2"......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-keHXnVQlM

Was this something you guys were toying around w/way advance or was just attempted at the spur of the moment especially for this particular appearance?
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Sledge Hammer » 17 Apr 2017, 19:19

Great read that, thanks Graham...I love Song 2 and just because we've heard it so much some fans dismiss it which is ridiculous!

Also a great video and the connection to Popscene was a great touch, would love some behind scenes info on the Popscene sessions, my fave Blur song of all, such energy and blew me away when I first heard it!
Sledge Hammer

Postby metalhipslop » 17 Apr 2017, 23:09

tweedz wrote:eh up!

thanks for taking the time to clear it up man!

i hope to see you play with gorillaz in toronto july 10 ;)
metalhipslop

Postby aldamasta » 18 Apr 2017, 00:25

God I love the internet. Have a question about a song by your favorite band? You might just have it answered the guitarist! :D Thanks tweedz.

And yes, would love to see ya in North America. Perhaps doing a solo show at Demon Dayz fest? ;) tweedz at demon dayz with gorillaz playing humanz
aldamasta

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 24 Apr 2017, 06:55

tweedz - a great insight, thank you :D

I remember being in North America in 1997. On occasion, wearing a Blur t-shirt - people enthused about Blur and 'Song 2'.

Sledge Hammer wrote:Great read that, thanks Graham...I love Song 2 and just because we've heard it so much some fans dismiss it which is ridiculous!

'Country House' has also been subject to this - but they are great songs that had the right impact and reached to a large audience.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby lumaka » 17 Sep 2017, 10:32

Graham's comment here is a true gem. Thank you tweedz!
Last edited by lumaka on 18 Sep 2017, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
lumaka

Postby stephen » 18 Sep 2017, 13:20

Just seen tweedz post.

I love hearing the creative process and break down of songs. This one is particularly interesting so thanks for sharing.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Return to Blur