TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Mallard No. 22

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Dec 2018, 09:04

hi, thespider - I have been playing the original TGTBTQ album for the first time in twelve years.

I think it has a slight edge over 'Merrie Land'.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 05 Dec 2018, 06:37

7.5 from Pitchfork! (S/T got 6.8)

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 05 Dec 2018, 15:00

Very impressive. As I've said, anything above 6.5 from Pitchfork is very good.

thespider

Post by thespider » 05 Dec 2018, 16:21

Mallard No. 22 wrote:hi, thespider - I have been playing the original TGTBTQ album for the first time in twelve years.

For me, the self-titled GBQ album is a 7.5/10. The title track is one of the best things Albarn has ever done. It's phenomenal.

But yeah, it really seems to be just me that's not liking Merrie Land! The reviews are very positive and almost everyone on this forum is enjoying it. The album's bombed in the charts but record sales mean nothing these days. 900 people bought Take That's Greatest Hits on audio cassette last week. :lol:

I'm a bit gutted really, of the 22 albums Albarn has put his name across his career, I've liked almost all of it so far.

stephen

Post by stephen » 05 Dec 2018, 16:32

Hard to compare both albums in my opinion. At the moment I stick to the debut album more but that could change overtime.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

idreamofpikas

Post by idreamofpikas » 06 Dec 2018, 01:26

thespider wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:hi, thespider - I have been playing the original TGTBTQ album for the first time in twelve years.

For me, the self-titled GBQ album is a 7.5/10. The title track is one of the best things Albarn has ever done. It's phenomenal.

But yeah, it really seems to be just me that's not liking Merrie Land! The reviews are very positive and almost everyone on this forum is enjoying it. The album's bombed in the charts but record sales mean nothing these days. 900 people bought Take That's Greatest Hits on audio cassette last week. :lol:

I'm a bit gutted really, of the 22 albums Albarn has put his name across his career, I've liked almost all of it so far.
Is it maybe down to the overwhelming praise its got? Some music, film or literature that I'm told is great disappoints as I'm expecting to get it straight away and the longer it takes me to get (if I get it at all) usually just makes me more frustrated with it.

Unless you're going to one of gigs maybe ignore it for a few months and give it a chance later with fresh ears.

Pavlich

Post by Pavlich » 06 Dec 2018, 10:15

The debut is an earnest album almost trying to grab attention, and very very 2000s in terms of that Briton sound. Reminds me a lot of something like A Weekend In The City. The second one is a resignation and maturity... I dunno.

Hooligan

Post by Hooligan » 06 Dec 2018, 13:51

Just listened to The Imperial on YT and was surprised to find it has vocals - the version I downloaded with the code from the box set is instrumental. Any idea where I can get the full version from?

thespider

Post by thespider » 06 Dec 2018, 14:29

idreamofpikas wrote:
thespider wrote:

Is it maybe down to the overwhelming praise its got? Some music, film or literature that I'm told is great disappoints as I'm expecting to get it straight away and the longer it takes me to get (if I get it at all) usually just makes me more frustrated with it.

Unless you're going to one of gigs maybe ignore it for a few months and give it a chance later with fresh ears.
You raise a good point, maybe it'll come to me in time. I hope so.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 Dec 2018, 05:02

thespider wrote:But yeah, it really seems to be just me that's not liking Merrie Land! The reviews are very positive and almost everyone on this forum is enjoying it.
I won't 'like' an album for the sake of it, just because I am a fan of the artist as a whole. :)

I think 'Merrie Land' is a relaxing listen (as the original TGTB&TQ album is). Though I am not likely to remember them as all-time favourites, like I do with several Blur albums.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

stephen

Post by stephen » 07 Dec 2018, 10:22

It's interesting what we will think of this album in a few years time, it could age terribly or become a cult classic.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices » 08 Dec 2018, 19:20

suave

guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices » 08 Dec 2018, 19:42

I've just found out about this album when YouTube randomly played them...

Loved The Truce of Twilight it's a bit of The Clash isn't it.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 08 Dec 2018, 22:47

stephen wrote:It's interesting what we will think of this album in a few years time, it could age terribly or become a cult classic.
Not quite sure how it could age terribly. The production is spot on, certainly better than the debut.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Ian_D

Post by Ian_D » 10 Dec 2018, 07:54

Regarding the deluxe bonus tracks - noting the post that states that they only got instrumental tracks with their download - did anyone get all 4 tracks or is there some differentiation here between deluxe and super deluxe boxes?

So I bought the super deluxe version, and got 2 bonus tracks, the vocal versions. Is the vocal a part of the upgrade between the deluxe and the super deluxe versions? That’s certainly better than the set of ribbons...