TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

daii

Re: New The Good, The Bad and the Queen album

Post by daii » 12 May 2017, 13:48

"I'm recording with TGTBTQ and its a completely acoustic thing. There are some keyboards but it's more like piano and a Hammond organ" https://twitter.com/DamonUnofficial/sta ... 9689319424

yas :P

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 12 May 2017, 13:52

Fantastic!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 May 2017, 16:34

daii wrote:"I'm recording with TGTBTQ and its a completely acoustic thing. There are some keyboards but it's more like piano and a Hammond organ" https://twitter.com/DamonUnofficial/sta ... 9689319424

Oh wow.. now this album possibly cannot get any better! I imagine some slight folk (with Paul on stand-up and acoustic bass) and Simon is a pretty solid acoustic guitarist himself. It's going to consist of some much emotional depth instrumentally and very profound lyrics as well. Please bring it on already!

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 12 May 2017, 17:44

Ooo yes bring out the Hammond! Can't wait!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 12 May 2017, 18:03

Sounds good but how about continuing to promote the new Gorillaz album, you lazy bastard? Fucking Kasabian came in at #1 today with Gorillaz getting slaughtered. Pathetic.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 12 May 2017, 18:05

This Gorillaz campaign is quite baffling...very odd promotion.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

bugman

Post by bugman » 13 May 2017, 09:06

tom_cas1 wrote:Sounds good but how about continuing to promote the new Gorillaz album, you lazy bastard? Fucking Kasabian came in at #1 today with Gorillaz getting slaughtered. Pathetic.
new kasabian album is amazing, for me better than gorillaz

TracyJosh

Post by TracyJosh » 13 May 2017, 14:39

Mark72 wrote:This Gorillaz campaign is quite baffling...very odd promotion.

I don't think they can really be arsed given how little they will make on record sales regardless of what chart position it is. It's all about just getting out and touring. Their festival and world tour will be their main focus. The videos on youtube were well received and everyone who wants the album will have it. There's no need for them to take financial risks on promotion to attract a few more fans when the rewards are limited in 2017, the whole tour will likely be a sellout as is.

No real shock that Kasabian are number one, probably more popular in Britain than Gorillaz, but are dwarfed by Gorillaz popularity on a global scale.

tender

Post by tender » 13 May 2017, 15:42

daii wrote:"I'm recording with TGTBTQ and its a completely acoustic thing. There are some keyboards but it's more like piano and a Hammond organ" https://twitter.com/DamonUnofficial/sta ... 9689319424
where´s that quote from ? source?

daii

Post by daii » 25 May 2017, 12:33

What we know so far about the new TGTBTQ album:

“I’m doing another record with the Good the Bad and the Queen. We’re doing that in May. That’s not GarageBand at all. That’s just the four of us playing live, straight on the floor.”

“I see the Good, the Bad and the Queen record as being a soul version of Parklife. It’s stories about Britain – as it is now. We’ve been up in [the English seaside resort] Blackpool. That’s where I’ve been getting my energy for that. I decide on places, and I like sticking to it. Everything has to happen in my head in that place. It’s cinematic in my head.”

He teases it as his first “post-Brexit commentary” and says it’s so far an extension of the first album but with a more soulful direction and more Afro-centric rhythms, describing the whole thing as being “an Afro-soul Parklife, if that’s possible.”

“I’m recording with The Good The Bad and The Queen and it’s a completely acoustic thing. There are some keyboards but it’s more like piano and a Hammond organ”

Tony Visconti as producer? -> “He doesn’t offer any details or concrete plans yet, but also reveals he’d recently talked with producer Tony Visconti (famed for his work with David Bowie) about working on something — something also involving Paul Simonon.

Quotes from Stereogum, Rolling Stone and Vegas Seven Mag.
http://damonalbarn.tumblr.com/post/1610 ... tbtq-album

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 25 May 2017, 12:58

Very excited!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 May 2017, 04:38

I cannot get more excited about this project! Allen is the best Afro-centric drummer around, Simonon was always solid when the Clash experimented with unique sounds, Tong is very capable, and I don't have to express anything further regarding Damon than we all already know. Just so much potential here and hope they perform this forthcoming album live track-by-track in its entirety!

Dom

Post by Dom » 26 May 2017, 22:20

I am resigned to the fact that Damon dont care about blur anymore and I quite like gbq. But come on, if he wants to do an acoustic album, is there a good reason to not make it with Graham, considering his achievements with The Spinning Top?

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 26 May 2017, 22:38

Graham's probably working on his solo stuff right now.
And Dave's an elected official.
I wouldn't worry about their working relationship.
I mean, In the mid-2000s did you ever think Graham would be doing stuff for Gorillaz?

Dom

Post by Dom » 26 May 2017, 23:27

davidsutter wrote:Graham's probably working on his solo stuff right now.
Let's hope so! It's been 5 years since his last album, the biggest recording hiatus since 98!
davidsutter wrote:And Dave's an elected official.
I wouldn't worry about their working relationship.
I mean, In the mid-2000s did you ever think Graham would be doing stuff for Gorillaz?
Well, I just think Graham would make it definitely much better than Tong. The first album wasn't guitar centered, so that wasn't a big deal, but now this is an acoustic thing, and Graham did improve his skills on that... but here I am complaining about it not being blur, that's old! :lol: