TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

northernmonkey

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by northernmonkey » 15 Nov 2018, 20:08

I will resist, I will resist :x I can surely wait until midnight... :( this is the first album of Damon’s i’ve not had a leaked copy or had a bombardment of singles/live versions since 13 or Gorillaz self titled, and all but the two singles are a mystery despite the snippets posted. Can’t wait :)

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 15 Nov 2018, 20:12

I’m not gonna be getting the physical til Monday anyway. I don’t see how listening to the leak will hurt, since it comes out on streaming services midnight tomorrow. And that’s how I planned on first listening. I could see if it was leaked like a week ago. Or if I was getting the physical copy midnight , but I’m not waiting til Monday lol
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 15 Nov 2018, 20:15

I'm at work until Midnight, So I'm happy to wait for the "official" stream ;)
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 15 Nov 2018, 20:58

I'm about halfway through the album now. I feel confused and overwhelmed

bugman

Post by bugman » 15 Nov 2018, 21:10

in this 8 years my top 3 of damon's record

1. the magic whip (9/10)
2. the now now (8,5/10)
3. merrie land (8/10)

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 15 Nov 2018, 21:27

Jesus Christ this forum makes it so hard to wait. I’m tempted to listen to The Poison Tree alone…

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 15 Nov 2018, 21:32

I really don't know how to react to this album! I'm getting early Scott Walker (specifically from Damon's delivery), Sufjan Stevens and strong dub and reggae vibes. There are strings all over that are Jonny Greenwood levels of ethereally beautiful.

I'm going to have to play it again to get a better idea.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 15 Nov 2018, 21:34

Best Damon album since Demon Days or even the first GBQ, imo. Better than the last 2 Gorillaz albums and I think those are good albums. Enjoyed it more than TMW on first listen. Maybe i'm jumping the gun a bit because it's the first day of listening.. but it's the internet and reviews are all about that.

It has amazing soul and production. No over use (or use at all) of that megaphone filter that we've heard so much on Damon's voice lately... It's utilizing the whole band, to that extent it's better than the debut because of how prominent the drums are.
I love the theme, and how consistent everything is. It's darkest and weirdest thing Damon has made in a long time and I love dark music. I don't think there is a filler track (similar to The Now Now), which is why short albums tend to be better. The strings, the choir usage... Just sounds like for once since Plastic Beach, Damon is using that amazing studio of his to it's potential.

I love love love love it. I've heard it a few times now and it is only going to get better. As of now the highlights are Truce of Twilight, Last Man To Leave (very 70's bowie), The Great Fire, Lady Boston.. Hell, most of them are.. and I was a big fan of the 2 singles that came out. I still think the title track is amazing and works as a great opener.

I could go on and on and ramble to the point of sounding nonsense. but i'm not that great at conveying why I like certain things.

and I agree with the Scott Walker comparison

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 15 Nov 2018, 22:46

Of course I caved. I downloaded it to just listen to The Poison Tree, but as I was listening to it on my drive back to campus, it started snowing. Every song was fitting so well. It was a magical moment, and this album is magical no doubt. So many times through the first listen I found myself feeling so surprised. This doesn’t sound like anything Damon’s done, ever.

Jay, I’m in the same boat. I dunno how to react to this just yet. I’m just watching the snow fall, soaking in the album. I do know that The Poison Tree is instantly in my top 3 damon album closers of all time. I don’t think I’d change a thing about the track order.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Nov 2018, 00:01

Each song was just out on YouTube IN FULL. Official account! The only problem? Blocked on copyright grounds. Well done. Well fucking done.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 16 Nov 2018, 00:11

Probably time zone issues they didn't think about lol. Can't wait though, all the songs have videos. and I love these ventriloquist Damon videos

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Nov 2018, 00:39

They are now working!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

rich

Post by rich » 16 Nov 2018, 00:39

tom_cas1 wrote:Each song was just out on YouTube IN FULL. Official account! The only problem? Blocked on copyright grounds. Well done. Well fucking done.
Available on iTunes now - what's your problem...

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 16 Nov 2018, 00:55

rich wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Each song was just out on YouTube IN FULL. Official account! The only problem? Blocked on copyright grounds. Well done. Well fucking done.
Available on iTunes now - what's your problem...
They uploaded official VIDEOS for all the songs :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... o7PiuXtVws

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 16 Nov 2018, 01:19

It's just hit me as well that he would have had to film all of those videos one after the other, as the NME article stated that the mask could only be worn once.