TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

aldamasta

Re: New The Good, The Bad and the Queen album

Post by aldamasta » 04 May 2017, 23:17

All of this talk of GBQ is making me SO excited for a new album. How will I ever entertain myself until then?? Oh yeah! With the amazing album Humanz and the three dates I'll be seeing Gorillaz live. I say this not to brag, but simply to admire the output of Damon. It's so consistently solid and he NEVER slows down.

He's been talking about recording the album in May in a lot of interviews. Well, we're in May, so I'm excited to see him talk about the progress!! In the WFUV interview, he claims the album is really good, and ponders if he's having a purple patch or not. Well, it sure seems as if he is to me! I'm really hoping to see GBQ live in one of the tiny venues you all speak of. Especially if they're going to be touring while I'm studying abroad in London in early 2019 :D

And I'm terribly excited to see just where Damon takes his excitement next... blur please! hehe.

Dekagamer7X9

Post by Dekagamer7X9 » 09 May 2017, 21:21

There's one thing I haven't seen anyone touch upon... Is this album even going to be credited to "The Good, The Bad, and The Queen"? Back when the first album came out Damon was very adamant that wasn't the band's name, but now even he's referring to the band as such, so does that mean that's the band's official name now?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 09 May 2017, 21:45

It wouldn't surprise me if TGTBATQ has almost by default become the band's name. I mean, it sort of makes sense. I know it wasn't ever a high profile release by Blur / Gorillaz standards, but why confuse the audience that will be aware of that name by going with something completely different for record no. 2? Who knows, Damon will probably come up with a totally different name now I've said that!

munch

Post by munch » 10 May 2017, 01:04

get graham on there
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 10 May 2017, 01:20

I don't want Graham on a GBQ record. They have Simon Tong. If Graham's going into the studio with Damon again anytime soon, I want it to be for blur, definitely not GBQ.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 10 May 2017, 01:49

im with aldamasta
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 May 2017, 02:00

Ditto. Simon Tong doesn't get the credit he deserves, he's a great guitarist.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 May 2017, 03:32

What's the name of the band? I ask because at the time the album was only named "the Good, the Bad, and the Queen" or has that since changed?

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 10 May 2017, 20:34

Thing is the debut record was called The Good, The Bad,.... So what's wonder what the second LP going to be called?. As it's a band with no name(Damon and his Clint Eastwood references again!).
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 May 2017, 08:43

mwm1444 wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Ditto. Simon Tong doesn't get the credit he deserves, he's a great guitarist.
Unfortunately, his butchering of Grahams songs back on the TT tour do little to back that up, but as a reliable rhythm guitarist in an Indy band, yes I agree
First, welcome to the forum! I honestly don't believe it's a matter of Simon Tong "butchering" Graham's songs during the TT, but we all know Graham ranks among the best guitarist (and not just lead-guitarist) of all-time. He's an entirely higher class than Tong (and again compared to most, especially within the past 25 years). Tong is a competent enough guitarist who was solid on "TG,TB,&TQ" and was decent on the "TT" tracks live (true Damon's guitar on the studio versions was quite rudimentary). But to reiterate you cannot compare most to Graham whatsoever, he sets the bar EXTREMELY high in a league of his own!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 May 2017, 17:15

Agreed. Tong performed the Blur songs perfectly, but at the end of the day he has a different style, tone and feel to Graham. The same notes were played, he just played them differently. Nothing against him. Only Graham can sound like Graham. Only Tong can sound like Tong, and so on. He was excellent with TGTB&TQ and his unique style added to the greatness of that album.

I think it's harsh to write off Tong just because he's not Graham. He's an excellent guitarist.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 11 May 2017, 17:22

Damon seems to be calling it The Good, The Bad and the Queen lately. Though he definitely didn't want the group to have a name earlier..
If we're guessing the name of the record, I'll go for 'GBQ2'. It'd be a lazy title but hey, it'd say what needs to be said.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 May 2017, 19:01

davidsutter wrote:Damon seems to be calling it The Good, The Bad and the Queen lately. Though he definitely didn't want the group to have a name earlier..
If we're guessing the name of the record, I'll go for 'GBQ2'. It'd be a lazy title but hey, it'd say what needs to be said.

Solid point about it being titled "GBQ2".... It seems this will be true sequel b/c it pertains to "Modern Day London" in 2017 regarding "Brexit".... Didn't Damon essentially say the first album was a continuation of the narrative from "Parklife"?

rich

Post by rich » 11 May 2017, 19:02

yep - it's gonna be about fuxit :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 May 2017, 10:12

Or about the difficult years when Graham left the Blur. Graxit.