TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

northernmonkey

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by northernmonkey » 09 Nov 2018, 18:13

kdiglas78 wrote:Right, so it’s programmed elements that you don’t like? I guess it’s all taste. Of course Blur’s music, from the beginning, has featured programmed elements quite prominently.
I do in the right contex, works with much of Gorillaz, but Humanz was really lacking the human touch. I think it is down to the producer on board too, something like Demon Days and self titled had the Gorillaz sound but did feel more traditional in the recording process, self produced Plastic Beach for me did feel cut and pasted and some not all of his work since has been similar. Just my opinion and tastes, I know a lot love PB on this forum, it’s all just opinion :)

rich

Post by rich » 09 Nov 2018, 18:56

lumaka wrote:
kdiglas78 wrote:BTW, in case there’s any echoes, Here’s William Blake’s poem, The Poison Tree which deals with repressed anger, vengeance, and tempting people to consume poisoned fruit.

I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I waterd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears:
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night.
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,
When the night had veild the pole;
In the morning glad I see;
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.
Used by Blur as the lyrics for Magpie.

kdiglas78, I totally agree with your previous post!

The Poison Tree will make superb album closer.
A slight aside, but.....

A fascinating curio, ‘Magpie’ was recorded without a proper vocal in December 1992, as a possible candidate for ‘Modern Life Is Rubbish’. Blur recall Dave Balfe being downcast when he heard it. “He said the rhythms stop and start,” Alex says. “And that was too confusing for Americans, apparently.” Reactivated for the ‘Parklife’ sessions, ‘Magpie’ still foxed Damon in the lyric-writing department, so he simply sang a William Blake poem – written in 1794 – called ‘The Poison Tree’ (“I was angry with my friend/I told my wrath/My wrath did end) from Songs Of Innocence And Experience. Graham, who is superbly inventive on guitar throughout, felt the verses of ‘Magpie’ harked back to the days of baggy.

The verses are not too relevant. It is ‘Magpie’s joyous chorus that sets it apart. Simple enough as a lyric (“and sometimes I see magpie”), it boasts a spreading fan of harmonies on the “I” that is quite delicious.

from the David Cavanagh/Stuart Maconie piece in Select July/August 1995 'How did they do that?' reproduced in Veiko's amazing articles archive http://www.vblurpage.com/articles/stori ... /index.htm

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 Nov 2018, 16:38

in the gbq shop super deluxe edition (most exepensive) now cost 150 pounds!! 100 pounds less!
super deluxe (before 120 pounds), now 40 pounds less

people write that company refund some money. im confused. it's so weird. any ideas ?

rich

Post by rich » 10 Nov 2018, 17:35

bugman wrote:in the gbq shop super deluxe edition (most exepensive) now cost 150 pounds!! 100 pounds less!

people write that company refund some money. im confused. it's so weird. any ideas ?
ah - that explains it - I got a £40 paypal refund on my super deluxe pre-order yesterday
I'm still confused though...

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 Nov 2018, 18:40

rich wrote:
bugman wrote:in the gbq shop super deluxe edition (most exepensive) now cost 150 pounds!! 100 pounds less!

ah - that explains it - I got a £40 paypal refund on my super deluxe pre-order yesterday
I'm still confused though...
but they didn't cancel your pre-order ?

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 10 Nov 2018, 18:47

Weird! Glad the price drop happened, though. I finally got around to ordering the next-to-most expensive box set. Couldn’t justify the most expensive one!

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 10 Nov 2018, 19:47

bugman

Post by bugman » 10 Nov 2018, 21:01

lumaka wrote:The Last Man to Leave preview

audio --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BqAvRy5FGKy/
lyrics --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BqAvP6qFvBa/
it's modern life ! sounds like unreleased track from that era!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 10 Nov 2018, 23:13

bugman wrote:

Should have been left unreleased based on that clip. And I hope this isn't an album full of Damon preaching about Brexit.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 11 Nov 2018, 00:10

It reminds me a bit of the material Damon did with Michael Horovitz.

kdiglas78

Post by kdiglas78 » 11 Nov 2018, 07:11

tom_cas1 wrote:
bugman wrote:

Should have been left unreleased based on that clip. And I hope this isn't an album full of Damon preaching about Brexit.
It’s an album about British identity in the wake of Brexit. Of course if you like Blur, you like music that plays with, and affectionately challenges, British identity.

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 11 Nov 2018, 07:44

‼️

The Sunday Times

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN
Merrie Land
Studio 13

In the 11 years since Damon Albarn, Paul Simonon, Tony Allen and Simon Tong hatched their first album as The Good, the Bad & the Queen, Albarn has released four Gorillaz albums, a solo album, a Blur album, written two operas, film scores and a musical, and generally just got on with being Albarn: constant work, most of it remarkable, and constant shape-shifting. The first TGTB&TQ album was a love letter, alternately caustic and affectionate, to London, all dubby bass, skittery rhythms and hazy pastoralia. Their second widens its brief.

To borrow from Simonon’s old band, this is something about England — Albarn perched, metaphorically, on the edge of the cliffs of Dover, his gaze focused not outwards but back, at a country he feels is about to plunge from them. Brexit: The Musical? That’s not as far-fetched as it sounds. An alternative State of the Nation address, the album finds Albarn returning to the whimsical, jaundiced patriotism of Parklife, and the lulling, vaudevillian textures of This Is a Low and To the End. Vocally, he has never sounded so lovely, or so sad.

Suffused with melancholy, the 11 tracks deal in both specificity and allusion, the lyrics like asides, glancing blows, the music suddenly shifting from bleak midwinter to blazing high summer. The title track savages the far right and the fat cats, running a slide rule over “no deal”; Nineteen Seventeen, all disjointed beats, looming bass and fairground organ, looks across the Channel to the cemeteries of Flanders. The Great Fire is like an inventory, addressing issues of history, class, patriotism and the flotsam and jetsam, the keepsakes and talismans, of national identity.

Not for the first time, the ghost of Archie Rice hovers, the greasepaint failing to mask decay, a fading relic heading for the exit. You listen to the first five tracks and think: I’m enslaved to this album. Then you reach Lady Boston, with its poignant recorder, icy strings, Simonon’s pocking bass line, a melody of shattering, tear-inducing beauty, the male choir intoning “We won’t forget”, and you just know: this album is a masterpiece. Then you proceed to the Guns of Brixton-meets-Pink Floyd, lip-curling, brass-flecked The Truce of Twilight (“camping on the clifftop”), to the finger-picked acoustica of Ribbons (possibly the loveliest melody Albarn has written), the eerie, part-sung, part-spoken The Last Man to Leave (“the disappointments of the Windrush”), and the best album of the year floors you all over again. Yes, it really is that good.

Dan Cairns

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 11 Nov 2018, 16:08

The reaction is so divisive, I'm very excited

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 11 Nov 2018, 18:16

Tom was the one who loved Humanz when it released and decided he didn’t like it a week later. I wouldn’t take his opinions seriously
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Nov 2018, 19:46

metalhipslop wrote:Tom was the one who loved Humanz when it released and decided he didn’t like it a week later. I wouldn’t take his opinions seriously
You realise opinions can change, right? :lol: :ugeek:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...