TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1093
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by Mark72 » 14 May 2018, 15:02

So looking forward to this!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7677
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by tom_cas1 » 14 May 2018, 15:48

Mark72 wrote:So looking forward to this!
Me too. I'm glad Damon is finally back working with a good band. Let's hope Gorillaz are laid to rest soon so he can play with TGTB&TQ more often.

Also Simon Tong is full on grey!!
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

bugman
Posts: 945
Joined: 23 Sep 2014, 20:21

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by bugman » 14 May 2018, 18:42

tom_cas1 wrote:
Mark72 wrote:So looking forward to this!
Me too. I'm glad Damon is finally back working with a good band. Let's hope Gorillaz are laid to rest soon so he can play with TGTB&TQ more often.

Also Simon Tong is full on grey!!
simon looks awful, so old

User avatar
aldamasta
Posts: 1397
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 05:00
Location: Kentucky, United States
Contact:

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by aldamasta » 14 May 2018, 21:38

Wow! I haven't seen a picture of Simon in ages. He has gotten quite old in appearance. Damon hasn't seemed to age in a big way in some 10 years. And Paul seems to always retain a sort of youthfulness.

Also, between the Gorillaz hints/news about the new album and Damon's performance with the Syrian musicians, I had completely forgotten about Damon scheduling sessions for GBQ in May! What an exciting location to record at/in. It definitely fits the GBQ aesthetic, and gets me quite excited for the new album. I know that many have issues with Danger Mouse's production on the first record, and while I don't have a ton of problems with it myself, I think that the acoustics of the castle + the legendary Tony Visconti are sure to make for a great sounding/produced album.

Finally, when I first saw these pictures surface online, I must have missed the one of the choir! I've always been a sucker for Damon and his incorporation of choirs into his music, so my hype just keeps going up up up up up!

stephen
Posts: 497
Joined: 25 Sep 2014, 12:53

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by stephen » 15 May 2018, 08:26

bugman wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:
Mark72 wrote:So looking forward to this!
Me too. I'm glad Damon is finally back working with a good band. Let's hope Gorillaz are laid to rest soon so he can play with TGTB&TQ more often.

Also Simon Tong is full on grey!!
simon looks awful, so old
Hey...there's nothing wrong with aging. :x
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good

User avatar
rich
Posts: 839
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 16:58
Location: London

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by rich » 15 May 2018, 13:25

stephen wrote:
bugman wrote:simon looks awful, so old
Hey...there's nothing wrong with aging. :x
certainly isn't :evil:

User avatar
rich
Posts: 839
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 16:58
Location: London

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by rich » 15 May 2018, 13:26

anyway - back on track - I'll see if i can have a word with Damon about the new album on Friday night at the British Library thing :)

User avatar
rich
Posts: 839
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 16:58
Location: London

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by rich » 19 May 2018, 01:24

rich wrote:anyway - back on track - I'll see if i can have a word with Damon about the new album on Friday night at the British Library thing :)
Just got back from this.

Managed to grab a few words with Damon after the gig - nothing we didn't already know or suspect...

Damon told me they'd finished mixing the new The Good, The Bad And The Queen album last week, but it won't be out until the Autumn. The new Gorillaz album comes out first - in the summer. "I've been very busy this year" he said. "Two albums. Two Albums!!"

I'll post some pics and videos in the Poetry Live thread tomorrow :)
I was filming about a foot away from Graham!
Spoiler alert - (as Lennon once said) - it's a bit avant garde!

rich 8-)

User avatar
lumaka
Posts: 310
Joined: 03 Oct 2016, 11:38
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by lumaka » 19 May 2018, 14:24

rich wrote:nothing we didn't already know or suspect...
True, thank you rich!

User avatar
Veikko
Site Admin
Posts: 715
Joined: 09 Nov 2011, 19:44
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by Veikko » 20 May 2018, 11:19

aldamasta wrote:I've always been a sucker for Damon and his incorporation of choirs into his music, so my hype just keeps going up up up up up!
Love that too, there's just something magical about it. :)

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2369
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 21 May 2018, 04:14

rich wrote:Damon told me they'd finished mixing the new The Good, The Bad And The Queen album last week, but it won't be out until the Autumn. The new Gorillaz album comes out first - in the summer. "I've been very busy this year" he said. "Two albums. Two Albums!!"
You heard it from the man himself, rich :) So now we know.

Looking forward to the albums. :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
tom_cas1
Moderator
Posts: 7677
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:13

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 May 2018, 13:10

Thanks Rich for the good work! I'm happy there appears to be some distance between the album releases. Hopefully that means TGTB&TQ will have some kind of tour during the autumn and winter of this year.
Image
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

User avatar
rich
Posts: 839
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 16:58
Location: London

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by rich » 21 May 2018, 14:15

Don Letts was on the decks at the poetry thing. That's a good sign - he was DJ'ing for TGTB&TQ when I saw them in Hammersith Palais many moons ago!

Neal Zeal
Posts: 341
Joined: 17 Oct 2014, 16:43

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by Neal Zeal » 21 May 2018, 19:42

It is indeed exiting that we've got a new GBQ album to look forward to (I'm not really fussed about The Gorillas unless there are songs of the quality of Last Living Souls, Melancholy Hill and Windmill Windmill).
I just hope Damon has regained his ability to write wonderful melodies again after the disappointment of the Magic Whip and Robot songs.
Mr Albarn, please note - "You've got to have the best tunes - or that's it ... you've blown it!"

semi
Posts: 31
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 14:58

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN THREAD

Post by semi » 22 May 2018, 03:22

Neal Zeal wrote:It is indeed exiting that we've got a new GBQ album to look forward to (I'm not really fussed about The Gorillas unless there are songs of the quality of Last Living Souls, Melancholy Hill and Windmill Windmill).
I just hope Damon has regained his ability to write wonderful melodies again after the disappointment of the Magic Whip and Robot songs.
Mr Albarn, please note - "You've got to have the best tunes - or that's it ... you've blown it!"

what's wrong with TMG? it was a good album. Not a big fan of robots though. The lack of big singles is what I'm missing from albarn.

Well, Humanz was a big dissapointment, wasn't it?

Post Reply