TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

tom_cas1

Re: TGTBTQ: Merrie Land Album Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Nov 2018, 11:22

Sledge Hammer wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:Just finished the album. Amazing. Simply breathtaking. The Last Man To Leave is the only song I haven’t fully warmed to yet but even then the album is a solid 8/10 for me at this point. Potentially 9/10 after a few more listens.

This was worth waiting 11 years for. Wow.

I think they should have released The Truce Of Twilight as the first single though. A no brainer, catchy as fuck and very Clash-esque.
...and a load of rubbish by next week :D :lol:
:lol

This is no Humanz! There’s not a Hallelujah Money in sight! Seriously good album.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 16 Nov 2018, 11:45

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/2048 ... 142?ticker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another 8/10 which reads more like a 9.
"Rich and accomplished; beautifully played and immaculately conceptualised, Albarn’s latest trip from FitzRoy to Faeroes and back, via Dogger and Dover, is a drizzle-soaked deep-dive into a fractured land and fractured people. One of the quiet highlights of the year."

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 16 Nov 2018, 11:52

Neal Zeal wrote:http://drownedinsound.com/releases/2048 ... 142?ticker
Another 8/10 which reads more like a 9.
"Rich and accomplished; beautifully played and immaculately conceptualised, Albarn’s latest trip from FitzRoy to Faeroes and back, via Dogger and Dover, is a drizzle-soaked deep-dive into a fractured land and fractured people. One of the quiet highlights of the year."
PS this could be my favourite review quote so far!

bugman

Post by bugman » 16 Nov 2018, 11:56

^
So , Who said They have only 2 reviews and that's all"?

lumaka

Post by lumaka » 16 Nov 2018, 12:23

"The Good, The Bad, & The Queen's Merrie Land is Damon Albarn's greatest album ever" (GQ UK)
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/t ... and-review

kdiglas78

Post by kdiglas78 » 16 Nov 2018, 12:31

No download code with the vinyl... ☹️

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Nov 2018, 14:14

lumaka wrote:"The Good, The Bad, & The Queen's Merrie Land is Damon Albarn's greatest album ever" (GQ UK)
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/t ... and-review
Better than Demon Days, TGTB&TQ debut and 13?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

daii

Post by daii » 16 Nov 2018, 14:33

I could listen to the end of Lady Boston FOR HOURS. He said he wants to bring the choir to some gigs, I hope he does because it sounds fantastic. "The poison tree" it's beautiful.

The truce of twilight is such a good song. and "The great fire" could be a song from "13".

I agree with the bowie/ scott walker feel. I think there's a bit of Nick cave on the record too.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 16 Nov 2018, 14:46

I know it’s very early, but I do think this is better than the debut album.

I agree daii! I have had Lady Boston on repeat. Bringing the choir to some gigs would be soooo lovely. Just think how immaculate it would be to hear this live in the Royal Albert…!

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 16 Nov 2018, 15:30

A beautiful short album. For Me it's up there with MLIR, Demon Days, TGTB&TQ and 13. Ribbons, the Poison Tree and Lady Boston are my favourites. Looking for to the Hackney gig next month. But would so love to see TGTB&TQ at the Albert. Saw Damon and the Heavy Seas there a few years ago and the stand outs were the TGTB&TQ tracks. They suited the RAH.

Merrie Land is a solid 8/10 for me
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » 16 Nov 2018, 16:49

After 3 listens since midnight, I am pleasantly surprised how good this album is. The lyric’s, vocal’s and melodies by Damon are spot on. In my opinion it shares much with an album like Parklife with its social observations/commentary, although a darker version of this and it’s great to see Damon return to this style of writing. But what holds this together is the rest of the band, TA drumming is a standout factor in these songs, I hadn’t realised how muted he was on the self titled until now, and the partnership with Paul’s bass is fantastic. And although Simon Tong did seem somewhat absent on the first 2 tracks, his contribution on guitar adds a great deal to the mix. Also. The production throughout the album is fantastic, and if there was to be another Blur album I’d like to see what he could squeeze out of the band.

Hard to highlight standout tracks at the moment, the album plays out brilliantly, no fillers, not even The Last Man to Leave, I feel this is a lot like a Blur experimental song and has a place on the album.

Looking forward to having the album on repeat throughout the weekend.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 16 Nov 2018, 16:55

A shock 3/5 from NME.
http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/the-go ... and-review
'Those seaside towns have seemingly had the most lasting impact on the foursome, because most of this album would quite easily soundtrack an abandoned carousel at the end of a windswept pier. It’s charming on the surface, but beyond the title track and ‘Lady Boston’, it begins to wear thin quicker than a seagull nosediving to your soggy paper of chips.'

JackS

Post by JackS » 16 Nov 2018, 18:22

Holy shit this album is good.

First play through: Lady Boston, Truce of Twilight and Ribbons are the standout songs for me

Renny

Post by Renny » 16 Nov 2018, 18:29

It's the masterpiece! Unbelievable!