GORILLAZ: Humanz + The Now Now Tours 2017-2018

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

blurop4

Re: GORILLAZ: Tour Thread

Post by blurop4 » 20 Jul 2017, 02:47

Went to the Philly and DC/Baltimore shows. As someone else mentioned, the Philly show was a mess logistically, but the performance was great once they played. They played "Out of Body" which was a cool surprise.

The DC/Baltimore show was great too. We got "On Melancholy Hill" which was a nice surprise. One really cool thing, I noticed at that show were the ASL interpreters signing the lyrics for each song. Does anyone know if they were with the band or is that a venue-specific thing?

Only criticism, if I can find one, was Kids with Guns in the encore. Less about the song, but more about the performance, it kind of fell flat both times. I think Dirty Harry would have been a solid substitute.

Overall, Damon was in full frontman beast mode for both shows. Just awesome really!

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 20 Jul 2017, 23:31

saw them in Columbia (Baltimore). thought there were a lot of songs missing but all in all a great show. cannot complain. also made me like sleeping powder again, and

and

and it confirmed that i actually like sex murder party
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 21 Jul 2017, 00:14

I was going to go to the Philly show, but I didn't like the location at all. I would have had a hard time finding transportation to it as I don't drive in the city. Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the shows

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 26 Jul 2017, 09:26

Full concert in Cologne
https://youtu.be/Dw1NyrRrHPE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

daii

Post by daii » 11 Aug 2017, 15:26

they're playing outside lands today! (8:40 pm pacific time)

here's the link for the livestream. https://www.go90.com/videos/8PJARCQbtGP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
does anyone know how to record it?

Veikko
Site Admin

Post by Veikko » 11 Aug 2017, 17:37

I'll see if I can record it with WM Capture. However, my connection has been crashing recently, so no guarantees!

The stream should be accessible outside the US with Hola or similar program.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 12 Aug 2017, 17:49

Anyone else feeling hugely underwhelmed by the tour so far? I keep forgetting there is a tour. Seems like a non-event, nothing special. Really disappointing considering how good the album is.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

rich

Post by rich » 12 Aug 2017, 18:08

That's a shame Tom - there was definitely a tour feeling in the UK in early June, with St Albans, Portsmouth, Brixton and Margate (Demondayz) in quick succession. I'm hoping this comes back in late November/early December - with Brighton, Manchester, Birmingham and the two London O2 gigs...

I caught a bit of Brixton (I was late :oops:) but saw all of Demondayz, which was fab...

all seems a long time ago though, but I'll be at one of the O2 gigs...

Renny

Post by Renny » 12 Aug 2017, 19:15

Cracking version of empire ants on YouTube. Love to hear that again live.

vitekm

Post by vitekm » 12 Aug 2017, 22:35

M1A1 is a great opener:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKN4S1dPtM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

daii

Post by daii » 13 Aug 2017, 15:16

the set at outside lands it's on Dime. (but my torrent is not downloading :/

John_d

Post by John_d » 21 Aug 2017, 10:31

tom_cas1 wrote:Anyone else feeling hugely underwhelmed by the tour so far? I keep forgetting there is a tour. Seems like a non-event, nothing special. Really disappointing considering how good the album is.
Depends what you mean Tom? What do you feel is missing? Appears to me like there is a more sensible, realistic approach this time i.e. you will get guest spots if the guests are physically nearby. Rather than trying to take 100 people on tour and making "20 quid" by the end of it as Damon memorably claimed. Taking festival spots is probably a far less risky strategy too? I think by the end of the tour (as currently slated) they will have done over 50 gigs, which is not bad, but yes I suppose still pretty shy of the 100 or so you would expect for an act of similar popularity during the course of an album "campaign" ("Phase" in Gorillaz-speak). In 2010 I think they probably played about 60 - 70? So there are perhaps more gigs yet to be announced?

Does anybody know if record cmpanies have any way of checking if a live show by an artist leads to an increase in record sales in the vicinity of the live show during the days following? It's common knowledge that if you get a BRITS nomination it leads to a spike in your UK record sales in January.

beats

Post by beats » 22 Aug 2017, 21:08

Tour seems pretty good going by the footage I've seen. Going to see them a couple of times in November/December. One wee gripe is what is the squealing all about with Damon? Noticed it on 19/2000. Shut the fuck up man, you sound like a dick!

Minor gripe. They sound great apart from that

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 23 Aug 2017, 01:26

I'm an eternal optimist and I'm still holding out hope for some Aussie gigs sometime this decade...

The Falls Festival lineup just got announced, and while there is no Gorillaz, there are Vince Staples and D.R.A.M... Do I dare get excited at the possibility of some Aussie gigs in the New Year?

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... y1a5s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 28 Aug 2017, 17:05

Gorillaz are almost certainly going to be touring into 2018, so I bet there's a good chance! There are rumors that Gorillaz will be at SA Lollapalooza, and Damon apparently told a fan that he met whilst vacationing in Mexico that he'll be touring there in March with Gorillaz.