GORILLAZ: Hallelujah Money

Discussion about the band and related projects.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Gorillaz - Phase 4: NEW SONG "Hallelujah Money"

Postby rich » 20 Jan 2017, 13:24

I've listened to it properly (ie on good headphones) a few times now - it's delightfully weird and trippy :)

Love the twisted lyrics...
"Walls like unicorns in full glory and galore"
"It is love that is the root of all evil"

rich 8-)
He thought of cars and where, where to drive them...
my gig videos https://vimeo.com/user19376405
rich

Postby tom_cas1 » 20 Jan 2017, 13:46

It's a shame that Damon felt the need to have a guest vocalist on the song. I hadn't heard of Clementine before and I really don't like his way of singing. Really odd to my ears, sounds unnatural. Awful.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby rich » 20 Jan 2017, 16:50

tom_cas1 wrote:It's a shame that Damon felt the need to have a guest vocalist on the song

er - I think you've missed the point of gorillaz, Tom :roll: ;)
rich

Postby tom_cas1 » 20 Jan 2017, 19:39

rich wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:It's a shame that Damon felt the need to have a guest vocalist on the song

er - I think you've missed the point of gorillaz, Tom :roll: ;)

Not at all Rich but maybe I should have been more clear, apologies. :) I'm all for guest vocalists, some of the best Gorillaz songs have featured other singers (Lou Reed on Plastic Beach probably being my favourite) but the more I listen to this particular song I firmly believe it would have been considerably better if Damon sang lead instead.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby rich » 20 Jan 2017, 20:27

OK - each to their own - but I think it's a shame you feel like that. Benjamin Clementine's vocal (and the contrast with Damon's) is what really makes this song - I love the way he goes from quasi American to out and out London, without losing that velvet baritone imperious weirdness...

There's also a very interesting melody lurking in there...

I find it very funny and also very sad...

If the album's as complex as this (possible throwaway) number, I'll be very pleased :)
rich

Postby saltandgin » 20 Jan 2017, 22:34

Anyone else having trouble with youtube? Sometimes I just get a load of text with a white background, is their another website where I could listen to it? I'm dying here! :lol:
NOT for the likes of you. Image
saltandgin

Postby sara-m-a » 21 Jan 2017, 03:44

Well, on first listen I was not impressed at all, on second listen with a proper stereo still not very impressed, but I'm able now to apreciate the different layers and I think it's not crap at all, but definitely not "single" material and I'm relieved to know that it is not in fact a single, it's more like a track that belongs in these b-sides albums.

Not sure it was a good idea to release it though, a lot of people will be put off and may not pay attention when the actual single is released.

Now... we wait :?:
sara-m-a

Postby thespider » 21 Jan 2017, 03:55

Honestly?

I think it's fucking awful. I wish I could offer something more constructive but I really hate it.
thespider

Postby sara-m-a » 21 Jan 2017, 04:00

thespider wrote:Honestly?

I think it's fucking awful. I wish I could offer something more constructive but I really hate it.

How many times did you listen to it?, I've heard it twice and on second hearing I changed my mind somewhat, that stuff Damon does oftentimes need more tries to digest :lol:
I'd advice to dowload the track and listen on a proper stereo, youtube + laptop's speakers don't help the experience, there's a lot that gets lost in poor hardware.

But well, let's hope when the actual album comes out something better will be released I actually have faith in Damon
sara-m-a

Postby bugman » 21 Jan 2017, 11:26

i listen it around 10 times and still it's awful. 3-4/10 that's all i can give.
bugman

Postby Styopa » 21 Jan 2017, 11:52

I think it's wonderful. I love it's drama and feeling of apocalyptic doom. We are living through scary times, times of great change, and the song captures that unsettling feeling which I'm sure many people can relate to. Clementine's gospel infused vocal is excellent - his baritone carries a real measure of gravity - and Damon was totally correct to restrict himself to backing vocals here.
Styopa

Postby munch » 21 Jan 2017, 15:55

i like it from 1 minute 36 onwards haha
i don't know what it is but that first verse sounds a bit awkward to me. I certainly don't dislike the song OR the video. The video is obviously a low budget slip out before an animated one with a song more people can enjoy.

I would not be surprised if we only got one animated video this phase and then a bunch of low budget ones like that, and maybe some animated shorts perhaps....

But yeh. its ok. not amazing. but i do really like it once that first verse is out of the way. Kind of wish Damon had played with his bit a bit more. the instrumentals sound a bit like The Fall and plastic beach, still very plastic. Hoped we were going into more adventurous places. The choir is a nice demon daysy touch though.

edit:

also, does anyone know why the video link is unlisted?
Last edited by munch on 21 Jan 2017, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man
munch

PreviousNext

Return to Blur